News   May 15, 2024
 57     0 
News   May 14, 2024
 2K     1 
News   May 14, 2024
 1.5K     1 

Finch West Line 6 LRT

You try to tear me down, but walter will see a road line mispainted and point out how city hall has some conspiracy going on and not a peep from you!
All of us including NL have been quite critical of Walter's conspiratorial dives, and have begun just ignoring him. The way you're behaving is pushing you to the same ending.

Unfortunately x.com links don't embed (thanks Elon) so here are the screenshots for the click-averse:

1695764441816.png

Not sure why they went for the vertical map. They definitely have space for a horizontal line map. Maybe partially showing line 1 and where each end goes towards. Could be something like I have attached below (just a rough draft).
View attachment 509472
I don't know why I spent time doing this but with an online map maker and some primitive editing I have updated how this might've looked like below. Will leave the rest to imagination. (Metrolinx hire me 😂)

line 6.jpg

line 6 - driftwood.jpg

Sideways writing is not ideal. It's fine for things that you can physically rotate like books and magazines, or even digital documents, but on something like this, it's difficult to read, especially for people with disabilities. I work in branding and communications and those are the conditions that we're emphasizing vertical text on our new guidelines.

I know people in this forum are derisive on wayfinding, communications and design professionals like myself, but there are lots of considerations that don't always seem obvious to a railfan. Text on white is always the best, with high visual contrast (and yes, that means the TTC map is not great!). The sign is about an average person height, which means it's in the sight line of most people; making it larger would mean people would have to stop and strain, as opposed to a quick glance. Also, it doesn't help that we're judging this from a picture that's across the road, as opposed to right in front of us. Designers often print out signs in their offices; I recently had to make a new sign and printed out multiple versions and physically showed it to people.

Vertical maps like what has been added to the platforms are pretty standard for rapid transit lines. They look very similar to the London Underground maps that you see upon entry to the platform.

Last edited:
Sideways writing is not ideal. It's fine for things that you can physically rotate like books and magazines, or even digital documents, but on something like this, it's difficult to read, especially for people with disabilities. I work in branding and communications and those are the conditions that we're emphasizing vertical text on our new guidelines.

I know people in this forum are derisive on wayfinding, communications and design professionals like myself, but there are lots of considerations that don't always seem obvious to a railfan. Text on white is always the best, with high visual contrast (and yes, that means the TTC map is not great!). The sign is about an average person height, which means it's in the sight line of most people; making it larger would mean people would have to stop and strain, as opposed to a quick glance. Also, it doesn't help that we're judging this from a picture that's across the road, as opposed to right in front of us. Designers often print out signs in their offices; I recently had to make a new sign and printed out multiple versions and physically showed it to people.

Vertical maps like what has been added to the platforms are pretty standard for rapid transit lines. They look very similar to the London Underground maps that you see upon entry to the platform.
When people do things "wrong" like the TTC map, is it due to competing theories/approaches or is it usually someone unrelated (ex, management) thinks the wrong version looks better?

Back on Sept 7th, Mx had a Board Meeting.......which coverage of at UT was pretty limited.

At any rate, they had a pic of Finch West Station in their Rapid Transit update report:
Great to see, more evidence that Finch will beat Eglinton to opening!

I tend to ignore the Mx board meetings given their often congratulatory, no bad news allowed nature...

We will have to disagree on land acknowledgements I'm afraid - it's an important piece of recognising and acknowledging the indigenous peoples of a land.

Land acknowledgements are as meaningful as the national anthem - and as essential going forward. We have heard O Canada many times before, but we don't stop playing it at the start of hockey games because it's old news. I expect that Land Acknowledgements are here to stay, and that's a good thing IMHO.

As for Metrolinx meetings, the entire agenda (save customary incamera discussions eg personnel matters) should be in the public part of the meeting. In their current form, they are truly pointless.

- Paul

Land acknowledgements are as meaningful as the national anthem - and as essential going forward. We have heard O Canada many times before, but we don't stop playing it at the start of hockey games because it's old news. I expect that Land Acknowledgements are here to stay, and that's a good thing IMHO.

As for Metrolinx meetings, the entire agenda (save customary incamera discussions eg personnel matters) should be in the public part of the meeting. In their current form, they are truly pointless.

- Paul
Land acknowledges has become standard for all committees that I have sat on as well the ones today, Councils also acknowledge it at the beginning of any meeting and I have no problem with it as they were here before anyone first visited the land let alone we live here now.

As for Metrolinx meetings, they are a joke to the point I stop going to them over 5 years ago as they are rubber stamping things that have already been approved before hand.

How often have you heard a director asked real questions or opposed something on the agenda?? No one can speak at any meetings. You can write about something and it will be file under no response.

Incamera happens for a lot of meets beside Metrolinx around the world.

By Q2 2024, we will be riding the Finch Line and still waiting for a date for Crosstown.

Land acknowledges has become standard for all committees that I have sat on as well the ones today, Councils also acknowledge it at the beginning of any meeting and I have no problem with it as they were here before anyone first visited the land let alone we live here now.

As for Metrolinx meetings, they are a joke to the point I stop going to them over 5 years ago as they are rubber stamping things that have already been approved before hand.

How often have you heard a director asked real questions or opposed something on the agenda?? No one can speak at any meetings. You can write about something and it will be file under no response.

Incamera happens for a lot of meets beside Metrolinx around the world.

By Q2 2024, we will be riding the Finch Line and still waiting for a date for Crosstown.
Isn't it minimum 3 months of testing for the TTC? Feel like even the road paving won't be done for january 1st

Back