News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 995     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 370     0 

Finch West Line 6 LRT

I was in the 400 & Finch area last week and there are lawn signs with slogans like "Subways not LRT".

I'm guessing these are from Mammollitti?

So Tory is making transit the corner stone (if not the only stone) for his re-election campaign?

This is John Tory’s pitch for re-election. Anybody notice a missing project in his transit plan? Context: this was issued after Tory’s meeting with Ford. Oh oh...

View attachment 149540

Finch West LRT is an entirely government of Ontario/Metrolinx project.

The projects mentioned by Tory are involving the City of Toronto in some way.

No mention of Sheppard

Sheppard LRT/subway and Finch LRT are government of Ontario projects, every project on this list are involving the city of Toronto in some way.

It would be innappropriate for Tory and the city of Toronto to mention a project that is being carried out entirely by Metrolinx/the province.

This is John Tory’s pitch for re-election. Anybody notice a missing project in his transit plan? Context: this was issued after Tory’s meeting with Ford. Oh oh...

If you’re going to go out of your way to smear the Mayor, it would be good to get your facts straight.

As many others have pointed out, the projects listed on this letter are either not under construction yet, or have their costs shared between multiple levels of government. This is consistent with Tory claiming he and the city of Toronto under his leadership has advanced these projects further towards construction (let’s put aside whether that is fully true or not).

The Finch West LRT does not fill those two criteria.

Meh. I wouldn't read too much into it, for reasons discussed already.

Also, canceling this project at this stage would damn close to infeasible. At least $300 Million has already been spent, the $2.5 Billion design, build, finance and maintenance contract would have to be canceled (presumably costing taxpayers hundreds of millions of dollars), and the $400 Million Alstom vehicle order would also have to be canceled. To put that in perspective, construction costs for this were estimated to be $1 Billion, so canceling it at this point could very well cost as much as just building it. Further, if the contractor is continuing work to this day, it's unlikely that the government has signalled their intention to end the project.

Mike Harris cancelled an entire subway line that was already under construction and ordered the tunnel filled up. I do not put anything beyond a so called "Conservative" government to light money on fire just to stick it to the Liberals.

Finch West LRT is an entirely government of Ontario/Metrolinx project.

The projects mentioned by Tory are involving the City of Toronto in some way.

Ok. Good explanation if we want to be optimistic.

I think that once the Eglinton LRT is put into operation, Toronto is going to fall in love with LRTs. It'll be a damn shame if the Finch LRT is cancelled. Eglinton and Finch will be a good start to filling in the network. Sheppard will have to wait until Torontonians have a local example to look to and demand it elsewhere because "Sheppard deserves an LRT!!"

Mike Harris cancelled an entire subway line that was already under construction and ordered the tunnel filled up.
I don't believe that's correct.

He yanked the funding.

It was a Metro Toronto/TTC project. And then Metro had to then decide what course of action to take, when the funds disappeared. And they decided to fill in the hole.

Net result is the same, but after Harris yanked the Eglinton West and Sheppard subway funding, Metro was free to continue the project, if they could find the funding. And they did for the latter. The tunnelling was initially 100% funded by Metro, with the province only coming on board well in the late 1990s, as Metro had only funded the tunnelling and stations - but not the track and electrical systems.

I don't believe that's correct.

He yanked the funding.

It was a Metro Toronto/TTC project. And then Metro had to then decide what course of action to take, when the funds disappeared. And they decided to fill in the hole.

Net result is the same, but after Harris yanked the Eglinton West and Sheppard subway funding, Metro was free to continue the project, if they could find the funding. And they did for the latter. The tunnelling was initially 100% funded by Metro, with the province only coming on board well in the late 1990s, as Metro had only funded the tunnelling and stations - but not the track and electrical systems.

So dougie could do the same thing.....

The politics around transit have changed a great deal in the intervening years. Queen's Park may choose to do venal things. Queen's Park will also have to manage the political fallout. Gas plant cancellations were an expensive fail. This would be no different.

But if they can save money overall, I see no reason they wouldn't do it, and then blame it on the previous government. They already canceled a contract for $100 million for school rehabilitations.

Back