News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.6K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 460     0 

Finch West Line 6 LRT

I wonder if the LRT right of way will require the widening of the 400 Finch underpass...

finch.jpg

Attachments

• finch.jpg
    finch.jpg
    328.1 KB · Views: 386
Well, the number of trains directly correlates with the frequency of service then, doesn't it?

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Yes, so if 11 trains are required to fill today's frequency levels, how many would be needed for trains arriving at frequencies 5/3 of those today (when CBTC is installed)? Twice as many? 1/3? Regardless, it should be about or more than 15. There's no doubt that a yard up there will help with line management, but won't it only really have a noticeable effect in the extension area? Logically, building the Sheppard west extension seems to be a better alternative to extending the Yonge line into Richmond Hill for increasing train deployments. Also, won't a significant spare ratio be required for any sort of yonge north expansion? Are these spares included in the 11 trains you cited?

The Crosstown LRT has storage tracks at several points along the route, marked with the X. From link.

alignment_map_w_storage_track.jpg

The Finch West LRT will have its storage yard at Northfinch/Oakdale (near the 400).
finchwest-map-large.jpg

Haven't seen a track map showing the crossovers and storage tracks away from the storage yard, as yet, for the Finch West. Assuming crossovers at Humber College and at Finch West, of course.

Two of those three Crosstown "storage" tracks are above ground. Fine for a train that's waiting to be turned back, but I don't think they're likely to be parking trains overnight in the middle of the road.

It'll be even worse when (if?) they build the Crosstown East and trains have to run all the way to UTSC.

I brought this up in another thread that yes the deadheading on the crosstown will be insane. However I do believe the Crosstown East will likely have its own storage facility. I know there is some land by Morningside and the 401 that could probably be used. It doesn't need to be a full blown maintenance facility only a storage yard with basic amenities.

I'm just waiting for the moment Ford really screws the Finch line up by completely stopping the process, and selling off the provincial lands at Finch and Hwy 400 because it's an "efficiency". If that were to happen, good luck finding any land to build a MSF along Finch.

As for Eglinton East, they would need a secondary yard if the city ever builds the line out to UTSC. There's no way the facility at Black Creek would be able to accommodate the extra vehicles needed to run that portion of the line, combined with the amount of spares that would be needed.

Yes, so if 11 trains are required to fill today's frequency levels, how many would be needed for trains arriving at frequencies 5/3 of those today (when CBTC is installed)? Twice as many? 1/3? Regardless, it should be about or more than 15. There's no doubt that a yard up there will help with line management, but won't it only really have a noticeable effect in the extension area? Logically, building the Sheppard west extension seems to be a better alternative to extending the Yonge line into Richmond Hill for increasing train deployments. Also, won't a significant spare ratio be required for any sort of yonge north expansion? Are these spares included in the 11 trains you cited?

So, what exactly are you looking for, since it sounds like you're trying to come up with some sort of fantasy scheme? Figure it out - if it requires 11 trains on a 2:21 headway, you should be able to do the math to extrapolate what the requirements on ever lower headways.

I brought this up in another thread that yes the deadheading on the crosstown will be insane. However I do believe the Crosstown East will likely have its own storage facility. I know there is some land by Morningside and the 401 that could probably be used. It doesn't need to be a full blown maintenance facility only a storage yard with basic amenities.

There was already supposed to be one at Morningside and Sheppard. Metrolinx still owns the land.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

So, what exactly are you looking for, since it sounds like you're trying to come up with some sort of fantasy scheme? Figure it out - if it requires 11 trains on a 2:21 headway, you should be able to do the math to extrapolate what the requirements on ever lower headways.

Wasn't the purpose of ATC installation to increase train headways in the system, thereby increasing the capacity of the subway by 20%? The TTC says that headways of 1 minute, 55 seconds can be achieved with with ATC.

If this is the case, doesn't the TTC need more trains than the 11 you are suggesting to run at these frequencies?

Finch LRT is in Etobicoke, Ford territory. What makes you think he would give the finger to where he's from?
Because he promised to cancel it on more than one occasion? He's made his views clear on surface LRT on many occasions.

The biggest question is why would one think there's enough like-minded minds in Ontario to elect him. The high PC poll numbers reflect Patrick Brown and the belief that Christine Elliott (or perhaps everyone figures there candidate) would win. Once the polls stabilize to reflect Drug Ford's leadership, there's no chance in hell he'll be Premier.

I'm surprised they've already spent 20% of the budget, with almost no physical work yet completed.
There is a significant payout by Metrolinx to cancel over 100 Flexity cars. While I don't know which project(s) this got booked for, surely Finch West is one of them. And also the payments already made to Alstom.

The plan at one point would be to use the same carhouse at Conlins/Sheppard for Sheppard East, Scarborough/Malvern, and the SRT replacement, I believe. I'd assume then, that this would also be used to feed the central portion of Line 5.

Though that may have been messed up, now that Metrolinx has cancelled the Flexity cars for the lines opening in 2022 and later, and are only using them for the line opening in 2021. (Why Metrolinx is unconcerned that Bombardier can get 70+ cars for Eglinton in 2021, but has freaked out about 20 more for Finch West in 2022 (or later) is beyond me ...).

The plan at one point would be to use the same carhouse at Conlins/Sheppard for Sheppard East, Scarborough/Malvern, and the SRT replacement, I believe. I'd assume then, that this would also be used to feed the central portion of Line 5.

Though that may have been messed up, now that Metrolinx has cancelled the Flexity cars for the lines opening in 2022 and later, and are only using them for the line opening in 2021. (Why Metrolinx is unconcerned that Bombardier can get 70+ cars for Eglinton in 2021, but has freaked out about 20 more for Finch West in 2022 (or later) is beyond me ...).

I thought it was them freaking over there not being 70 cars for Eglinton by 2021, so they purchased Alstom cars in case Bombardier couldn't deliver. Seems like a stupid move now that they have the flexity line running extremely well.

The Conlins facility was planned as a part of the Sheppard East LRT. As of right now, the planned Crosstown East ends south of the 401, and the land is on the north side at Sheppard. In order to actually build the facility, they'd have to run the line across the 401, and between that and the cost of the actual facility, the project cost would jump significantly.

Back