News   May 24, 2024
 6.9K     2 
News   May 24, 2024
 1K     0 
News   May 24, 2024
 439     0 

Finch West Line 6 LRT

It'll need to serve the announced Woodbine racetrack land development

Yes, that is why I routed the Finch alignment into the Woodbine Racetrack redevelopment and not just around it. I actually used the recently released master plan drawings of the Woodbine development to draw the proposed road network in my plan.

Every time this thread is updated, I worry that the Liberals have announced that they're again canceling and/or delaying this project :mad:

That feeling will never go away for any government :p. I am curious/worried of what would happen with a Patrick Brown government regarding current and future public transit projects though.

If the PC does cancel the Finch LRT, they'll have to explain the cancellation fee with both BBD and Alstom cars. So they'll get a popularity hit.

I don't think so. They've already delayed the RFP once this year because of the vehicle issue. If they keep it up, it's going to slip into the election, and it's easy to cancel until it's awared.

To correct your statement, Bombardier caused the vehicle issue, thus they caused the delay.

I think we are well past that, really.

The government has already twice delayed the RFP, in addition to cancelling half the project. Other projects in the GTHA have seen similar delays.

FWLRT was supposed to begin construction in 2015. Then it was delayed to 2016. Then it was delayed to 2017 (this year). Halfway through the year, we still don't have a contractor chosen, and it's increasingly doubtful that construction will begin this year.

Clearly timetables don't mean much to this government. I'll believe this'll be built when I see the contracts signed

Last edited:
To correct your statement, Bombardier caused the vehicle issue, thus they caused the delay.

If you really want to get technical, it's entirely a Metrolinx caused issue at the time they wrote/signed two different contracts with zero consideration as to how they interact until a couple years after they signed them.

The penalties Metrolinx agreed to pay on Eglinton for non-delivery of vehicles (as a subcontractor responsible for that task) is high. The penalties they wrote into the Bombardier agreement for non-delivery of vehicles is low. The gap between these 2 penalty fees is about $500k per day. Keep in mind, Metrolinx agreed to Eglinton penalties in 2015; Bombarder was already quite behind on the TTC order.

In short, Metrolinx took on financial responsibility for actions of a 3rd party. That was a really poor judgment call by the Metrolinx (or IO) legal department. Bombardier delivery delays wouldn't be an issue if Bombardier was paying the penalty fees. Metrolinx has zero interest in opening Eglinton on time; they're trying to avoid the $182M/year penalty fees when they're late delivering their piece of it.

And none of that has anything to do with Finch (or Hurontario). Metrolinx is screwing over Finch trying to fix their fairly significant Eglinton fuckup.

As a bonus, this is all after they shit on the TTC procurement process due to Spadina cost-overruns which involved a death and a federal investigation. Seems Metrolinx didn't exactly dot their i's and cross their t's either. Eglinton will be over budget by the hundreds of millions too (double procurement of vehicles guarantees it, especially if Bombardier actually delivers).

A less risky alternative would have been tendering a Design+Build contract in 2015 when they did, and a separate Maintenance contract around 2020 after they see everything (both the build and the vehicle delivery) is on time. Or, a D+B+M but left open the option of determining the start date of the M portion.

Either the Metrolinx legal department messed up and didn't notice this as a massive red flag (agreeing to something you have no control over is generally frowned upon) or some executive (maybe even the board?) approved it despite that problem being raised as a risk.

Last edited:
What makes even less sense to me is that Metrolinx postponed announcement of awarding the FinchLRT contract because they wanted to include vehicles into the bids. They did this instead of using the bids which only contained the construction costs and adding another bid for the vehicles - OK fine, dont agree, but sure go for it. Then, they announce that they sign a deal with Alstrom which some of the order includes the vehicles for FinchLRT. So now what.....do they need to delay again so that vehicles can be removed from the bids??? I think we are approaching the definition of insanity...one more loop required.

What makes even less sense to me is that Metrolinx postponed announcement of awarding the FinchLRT contract because they wanted to include vehicles into the bids. They did this instead of using the bids which only contained the construction costs and adding another bid for the vehicles - OK fine, dont agree, but sure go for it. Then, they announce that they sign a deal with Alstrom which some of the order includes the vehicles for FinchLRT. So now what.....do they need to delay again so that vehicles can be removed from the bids??? I think we are approaching the definition of insanity...one more loop required.

The left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing at ML. I'm totally expecting them to announce the RFP is being delayed again to remove the vehicle from the bids. The cynic in me is saying this is intentional, to ensure this project never gets built.

Last edited:
This is my interpretation of the Finch LRT in all phases extended to the Finch subway station in North York Centre and to Pearson.
It's three different files into one, so that's why it is irregular shape lol.
1pvzub.png

Very nice map, but I hope that a more direct path from Humber College to Pearson terminals can be found. Going around along Rexdale / Derry / Airport Rd would add good 10 min to the trip time, and prompt the potential riders to seek other options.

If the rail line to Derry Rd and Malton is justified at all by the projected demand, then it can be built as a separate branch.

Back