News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 376     0 

Fate of the SRT

What do you believe should be done about the SRT?

• Total voters
I get a feeling that there is another reason to build a ART MKII system for the SRT other than it's possible the Eglinton-Crosstown could be a ART MKII. Or that Bombardier is behind the push.

Could it be that ART offers a service far superior to LRT?

It depends on how you use the technology, right? LRT, in its high-end fashion, like those in the US cities like St Louis can be very fast. The ICTS in Toronto has not worked out. Surprised they are still planning the route for this technology.

It depends on how you use the technology, right? LRT, in its high-end fashion, like those in the US cities like St Louis can be very fast. The ICTS in Toronto has not worked out. Surprised they are still planning the route for this technology.

It really doesn't matter since the ROW will be exclusive. The only point about ICTS is it doesn't handle snow very well. Other than that, there's no reason to convert to LRT if the ROW remains fully exclusive and not semi-exclusive.

Based on what I've seen, I'd say the SRT and the Eglinton line will be connected together as ART.

The ICTS in Toronto has not worked out. Surprised they are still planning the route for this technology.

To be fair, the ICTS line in Toronto was the experiment model, and always been since it was built by UDTC over 25 years ago. Now if we're going to like it or hate it, we have to see how Bombardier has change/improved it since the UDTC days.

Apparently, if TTC (or the union) is willing to run the trains throughout the night by going automatic, the way Vancouver (and presumably New York) does it to keep snow off the rail, there should not be as big of a problem with snow as they have now.

Apparently, if TTC (or the union) is willing to run the trains throughout the night by going automatic, the way Vancouver (and presumably New York) does it to keep snow off the rail, there should not be as big of a problem with snow as they have now.

That would mean the ART technology would work and the TTC or Metrolinx would start setting up more automated ART systems. The union wouldn't like that, would they?:rolleyes:

Lets face it, if a LRT system could be automated they would have "problems" with snow.;)

The perception of ICTS/ART is that it's a mini-subway -- ergo, it ranks higher than LRT. You will never see the TTC downgrade it, or the Sheppard subway.

LRT with dedicated right-of-way is definitely not the same thing as existing streetcars.

How is it different from Spadina and St. Clair again?

I disagree that elevated lines are inherently too ugly. Many of Toronto's suburban streets are, frankly, not beautiful and never will be. Their dominant material is concrete, and buildings are set well back. I'm thinking of most of Don Mills, for example, and much of Eglinton. An elevated trackway through there wouldn't be a major aesthetic imposition in my opinion. I don't think the RT takes anything away from Scarborough Centre. Obviously downtown or in sensitive areas, they would be unacceptable.

Elevated railways these days aren't that ugly.We're not going to get Roosevelt Avenue in Queens or Wabash Street in Chicago - think SkyTrain, the 1993 CTA Orange Line, SRT in STC or the Canada Line in Richmond.

Back