News   Jul 12, 2024
 886     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 796     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 331     0 

Fate of the SRT

What do you believe should be done about the SRT?

• Total voters
I think, the key here is to convince Metrolinx. That's why I am trying to respond to the Benefits Case study as well.

What we really need is a facebook group fighting for the extension of the bloor-danforth subway to STC.

There's no reason YOU can't start this Facebook group. If you make it, I will join it. And I'm sure many UT folk will as well.

Or maybe we need a Subway Not LRT, Bread Not Crumbs group as well LOL. And I don't mean to bash LRT. Just where I don't think it's appropriate (e.g. SRT, Sheppard).

And there's no reason we shouldn't have multiple grassroots/Facebook groups pushing for the transit improvements that RIDERS would like to see (as opposed to politicians and number crunchers).

I don't have the skill to create the snazzy group that the DRL folks have. And I don't have the time....I am spending on UT! But if anybody does get it going I would gladly help out.

The DRL group wasn't snazzy to begin with. When it first started it was a basic page with a map and that was it. The rest came later. You realize that you can make other people admins and they can make changes to the group as well you know. Stop being lazy and just create the damn thing. Just make a good name for the group is all I ask.

The DRL group wasn't snazzy to begin with. When it first started it was a basic page with a map and that was it. The rest came later. You realize that you can make other people admins and they can make changes to the group as well you know. Stop being lazy and just create the damn thing. Just make a good name for the group is all I ask.

One big reason, I'd prefer not to take the lead is because I don't live in TO at present. I do advocate for the cause using my family's address. But were I to do something more high profile, I'd prefer to do it with a little more legitimacy.

One big reason, I'd prefer not to take the lead is because I don't live in TO at present. I do advocate for the cause using my family's address. But were I to do something more high profile, I'd prefer to do it with a little more legitimacy.

You're making a mountain out of a molehill in my opinion but whatevs. I'm sure someone will make a group eventually.

Just because some [insert colourful language here] makes fun of you on a cbcnews.ca comment section, doesn't mean you're not right. If it ever comes to that, refer them to someone like Coruscanti here for a quote and let it be.

I would start it, but i've only ever been on the SRT once in my life. :D

I am going to be writing letters to my MP and MPP making the case for a subway extension and hopefully their advocacy of it to Metrolinx, the provincial and federal governments. I am looking for help crafting detailed arguments.

One that I have heard before is that the SRT Mk II will be crowded on day one. Can anybody work out the numbers for that. The other argument I'd like to use is that the cost premium for subway construction is worthwhile because it will be serving a designated growth centre. I'd like some help working out how much that premium is. The Metrolinx BCA only allows you to work out current RT vs. upgraded RT. It'd be nice to know how much it would cost for just Kennedy to STC with subway, ART Mk II and Transit City LRT.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

I am going to be writing letters to my MP and MPP making the case for a subway extension and hopefully their advocacy of it to Metrolinx, the provincial and federal governments. I am looking for help crafting detailed arguments.

One that I have heard before is that the SRT Mk II will be crowded on day one. Can anybody work out the numbers for that. The other argument I'd like to use is that the cost premium for subway construction is worthwhile because it will be serving a designated growth centre. I'd like some help working out how much that premium is. The Metrolinx BCA only allows you to work out current RT vs. upgraded RT. It'd be nice to know how much it would cost for just Kennedy to STC with subway, ART Mk II and Transit City LRT.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

I'd assume that the cost of a subway would be easy to guess given its length and number of stations... and I remember that the BCA listed the approximate costs for each of the other options it presented.

But I do not see how a refurbished SRT would be full.... The ridership expected in the corridor (according to the BCA) is 10,000 per hour per direction, that could be easily be handled by a refurbished SRT (using ICTS or LRT).

But that ridership number does not take into account new/improved GO services that will be servicing the area, so I doubt the ridership number will get that high, In fact the metrolinx RTP numbers (that take into account the entire future network) for the SRT corridor show an expected ridership of only 6,400 per hour per direction. So again, I do not see crowding to be of concern.

I think the best way to convince them of a subway would be to try and show the value of not having to transfer at kennedy, and serving the large number of people at STC, but I couldn't put a figure on what those values would be.

But that ridership number does not take into account new/improved GO services that will be servicing the area, so I doubt the ridership number will get that high, In fact the metrolinx RTP numbers (that take into account the entire future network) for the SRT corridor show an expected ridership of only 6,400 per hour per direction. So again, I do not see crowding to be of concern.

There's gotta be some discrepancies here because the RTP says 6400 and the BCA predicts higher. Why did the BCA model 10k if they are expecting 6.4k? If that's the case, we are back into subway territory. It'd be nice to get some more clarity on how they came up with that number. For my money though, 6.4k seems awfully low. If anybody knows anything about that....please share.

I think the best way to convince them of a subway would be to try and show the value of not having to transfer at kennedy, and serving the large number of people at STC, but I couldn't put a figure on what those values would be.

Unfortunately, our politicians don't seem to think making a transfer is a big deal. It's probably best to at least bolster the case using numbers some what. They don't seem to care for us plebes having to get off one train to jump on another going in the same direction.

Thanks for the input by the way. I actually have decent rapport with my MP and MPP and I haven't cornered them on this issue yet. Presenting good arguments might help win over their advocacy.

http://www.toronto.ca/ttc/pdf/subway_ridership07_08.pdf

Working off these numbers, there's also a case to be made for consolidating some stations. Anybody who uses the RT knows that McCowan is essentially a glorified kiss n ride for Scarborough Centre. Likewise for Midland. I can't believe the TTC spends money keeping these stations in service. All the buses servicing those stations can definitely divert traffic to Scarborough Town Centre. What really blew my mind was how low Ellesmere was. Combine those numbers at a STC subway stop and you'd likely be up to 40k boardings a day. And that does not even include the number of North Scarborough residents who ride buses to Kennedy because they simply want to avoid taking the RT and would surely start using STC instead. How busy would the Morningside bus be if STC had a subway? Heck, that might even take some of the wind out of the SM LRT.

Does anyone else see the numbers differently?

I'm sure many do - but what's the point in responding - you'll simply quote us to death.

Just trying to see things from different angles....

Better to be a citizen trying to push forward change than to merely spill my frustrations on an internet forum....

There's gotta be some discrepancies here because the RTP says 6400 and the BCA predicts higher. Why did the BCA model 10k if they are expecting 6.4k? If that's the case, we are back into subway territory. It'd be nice to get some more clarity on how they came up with that number. For my money though, 6.4k seems awfully low. If anybody knows anything about that....please share.

The BCA seems to be based on analysis started by the TTC before a regional plan was started, and the TTC was only looking at the SRT corridor, and looking for reasons to keep it. That seems to be where the 10k figure came from. In fact the TTC was quoting 10k during their earlier 'SRT replacement study'.

Back