News   May 15, 2024
 146     0 
News   May 15, 2024
 299     0 
News   May 15, 2024
 835     1 

Evocative Images of Lost Toronto

From a Kodak publication of April, 1916.

One of the unfinished buildings at the Kodak manufacturing plant in Mount Dennis ('Kodak Heights') was loaned to the military in 1916.

Of course, as we all know, that long-standing Kodak complex was recently demolished.

March to Kodak Heights.jpg

Attachments

• March to Kodak Heights.jpg
    March to Kodak Heights.jpg
    220 KB · Views: 1,608
My great-grandfather was the Col. Clarke mentioned in the article. I posted a few comments on page 797 about the 127th Battalion partaking in a competition of precise marching, from Weston to the Exhibition grounds. As the above article notes, the battalion had formed up in Aurora (not Newmarket, according to Col. Clarke’s memoirs), then marched to Weston for training. “The Aurora citizens gave us a wonderful send-off and presented us with 30 trumpets and eight drums."

1968 --- when only one building in Toronto was over 34 stories in height ---

TD Centre just-built 1968.png

Attachments

• TD Centre just-built 1968.png
    TD Centre just-built 1968.png
    685.9 KB · Views: 2,463
Here's a few that may interest you, the parade for Marilyn Bell 1954.

Looking south from somewhere up high in City Hall

LSpDOx.jpg

Queen St. looking east to Yonge St.

4a9xgk.jpg

Queen St. looking west from Yonge St.

KL9DQj.jpg

South east corner Queen St. and Bay St.

atiam2.jpg

Attachments

• LSpDOx.jpg
    LSpDOx.jpg
    341.8 KB · Views: 1,222
  • 4a9xgk.jpg
    4a9xgk.jpg
    361.4 KB · Views: 1,200
  • KL9DQj.jpg
    KL9DQj.jpg
    201.3 KB · Views: 1,393
  • atiam2.jpg
    atiam2.jpg
    315.6 KB · Views: 1,158
Last edited:
St. Andrews Golf Course c.1935 (from North York Historical Society)

St.Andrews Golf Course c.1935.JPG

Attachments

• St.Andrews Golf Course c.1935.JPG
    St.Andrews Golf Course c.1935.JPG
    419.9 KB · Views: 1,246
Lindally north side 1956.jpg

The St. Andrews Golf Course clubhouse in 1956, north side, photo by James Salmon (Toronto Public Library collection). The two-storey stucco-on-brick house facing Old Yonge St. (it was just north of present-day The Links Rd.) was originally the home of Lt.-Col. Duncan Cameron, C.B., who had purchased 200 acres on the east side of Yonge St., about a quarter mile north of York Mills Rd., in 1835. The house he had built contained 28 rooms, seven fireplaces, and wine cellars, and was called Lindally after his family home in Scotland.

The St. Andrew’s Estate and Golf Course bought most of the old Cameron farm property in 1925-26. St. Andrew’s College was to have been moved to York Mills from Rosedale, but the authorities changed their minds and moved the college to Aurora, and St. Andrew’s golf course, designed by golf architect Stanley Thompson, was built instead. Thompson also designed the courses at Banff Springs, Jasper, Bigwin Inn, The Briars and St. George’s, among many others. The original 18 hole course was later expanded to 27 holes, and the club hosted many provincial and Canadian tournaments there. (Pioneering in North York by Patricia Hart)

There’s a photo in Hart's book of the front of the house. It’s tempting to think that it was designed by John G. Howard as the proportions and details of Lindally are much like those of Woodlawn. Lindally was built around the same time that Howard designed the St. John’s Church building, which is just a few hundred yards south of where Lindally stood.

Attachments

• Lindally north side 1956.jpg
    Lindally north side 1956.jpg
    217.6 KB · Views: 1,280
St. Andrew's June 1949.jpg

This aerial view of St. Andrew’s Golf Course was taken in June 1949, looking north-west. The streets in Yorkminster subdivision are laid out and the hydro poles installed. Some of the houses have been built or are under construction, mostly on Upper Canada Dr. Beyond, on Yonge St. you can see the new Maclean-Hunter printing plant, which was built in 1947-48. The section of Hwy. 401 between Yonge St. and Bayview Ave., which would be laid out in the fields between Upper Canada Dr. and Avondale Ave., didn't open until April 1955. Big changes in 60 years!

Attachments

• St. Andrew's June 1949.jpg
    St. Andrew's June 1949.jpg
    591.7 KB · Views: 1,128
I wonder of those folks abutting what was then a field had any idea that space would be taken up by Canada's busiest highway, probably within their lifetimes.

I don’t know. My parents bought a house in the subdivision in 1951, but at the south end. I was four. I do remember walking across that vacant strip of land one spring morning with the other mothers and children, to register for Kindergarten at Avondale P.S., as the school we would be attending in September was still under construction.

From a Kodak publication of April, 1916.

One of the unfinished buildings at the Kodak manufacturing plant in Mount Dennis ('Kodak Heights') was loaned to the military in 1916.

Of course, as we all know, that long-standing Kodak complex was recently demolished.

View attachment 42911

well, at least they're keeping the remaing Kodak building as a maintenance building.

Back