News   May 28, 2024
 1.3K     1 
News   May 28, 2024
 1.7K     0 
News   May 28, 2024
 574     0 

Evocative Images of Lost Toronto

This is certainly a difficult-to-comprehend view of Toronto's skyline in 1929.
The view is looking N. towards the intersection of Front/Yonge (circled).
That's probably the Union Station on the far left.

P.S. - And that's the old Great Western Railway Station at the extreme right.

Toronto 1929.JPG

Attachments

• Toronto 1929.JPG
    Toronto 1929.JPG
    293.1 KB · Views: 1,550
Last edited:
This is certainly a difficult-to-comprehend view of Toronto's skyline in 1929.
The view is looking N. towards the intersection of Front/Yonge (circled).
That's probably the Union Station on the far left.

P.S. - And that's the old Great Western Railway Station at the extreme right.

View attachment 43141

Here's a more straight-on view up Yonge from 1920 in the TPL collection:

pictures-r-5241.jpg

In the 1924 Goad map, the Yonge Street slip still exists:

Attachments

• pictures-r-5241.jpg
    pictures-r-5241.jpg
    748.1 KB · Views: 1,271
Last edited:
I cannot get over the fact that Toronto's waterfront was extended to this degree by landfill. Amazing !!!

TN Toronto_Harbour c.1919.JPG

Attachments

• TN Toronto_Harbour c.1919.JPG
    TN Toronto_Harbour c.1919.JPG
    249 KB · Views: 1,269
I cannot get over the fact that Toronto's waterfront was extended to this degree by landfill. Amazing !!!

Not to mention that the Toronto Harbour Commission itself was located on landfill far from the original shoreline at Front Street.

View attachment 43036

The St. Andrews Golf Course clubhouse in 1956, north side, photo by James Salmon (Toronto Public Library collection).

It’s tempting to think that it was designed by John G. Howard as the proportions and details of Lindally are much like those of Woodlawn. Lindally was built around the same time that Howard designed the St. John’s Church building, which is just a few hundred yards south of where Lindally stood.

TPL now has the front view on its site. And here’s an old view of Woodlawn. Both are Regency villas, but other than the enclosed verandah on the one, so close in proportion and detail.

Lindally, York Mills.jpg
Woodlawn .jpg

Attachments

• Lindally, York Mills.jpg
    Lindally, York Mills.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 914
  • Woodlawn .jpg
    Woodlawn .jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 995
The Rex Theatre at 1130 Queen St. E. was built c.1914.
This news item (The Weekly Building Reporter, June 14, 1930) briefly describes an alteration in 1930: "Rex Theatre, Chas. Rosenberg, 1130 Queen E., altering moving picture theatre, 1130 Queen E., near Bertmount ……… $2,200."
Name changed to the Joy Theatre c.1941.
Now Stratengers Restaurant & Bar.
More history of the theatre at:
http://tayloronhistory.com/2014/02/20/torontos-old-movie-theatresthe-rex-joy-on-queen-st-east/

TN Rex:Joy-theatre-1130-queen-east.JPG

Attachments

• TN Rex:Joy-theatre-1130-queen-east.JPG
    TN Rex:Joy-theatre-1130-queen-east.JPG
    291.4 KB · Views: 889
Winfield Farms

That must have been taken in the '60s. I wish I could find a photo taken 10 years earlier, showing the stores in the plaza. Haha, my father used to pull into that gas station and buy $2 worth of gas.

We moved to Sheppard and Burbank in 1962, I was 12 years old. My brothers and I would ride our bicycles over to Winfield Farms and ride right into the stables. We were always welcome, and fed the horses apples and carrots and sugar cubes. We always asked if we could go horseback riding. But they wouldn't allow us on the horses. Im sure that one of the horses we saw as a yearling or 2 year old was Northern Dancer, it wasn't till many years later when I started to bet on the horses.

From a Kodak publication of April, 1916.

One of the unfinished buildings at the Kodak manufacturing plant in Mount Dennis ('Kodak Heights') was loaned to the military in 1916.

Of course, as we all know, that long-standing Kodak complex was recently demolished.

View attachment 42911

Here's an update, indicating just how Metrolinx is planning to use the old Kodak headquarters building as a subway station:

http://www.metrolinx.com/tenders/en...on Ave West Mount Dennis Station building.pdf

We moved to Sheppard and Burbank in 1962, I was 12 years old. My brothers and I would ride our bicycles over to Winfield Farms and ride right into the stables. We were always welcome, and fed the horses apples and carrots and sugar cubes. We always asked if we could go horseback riding. But they wouldn't allow us on the horses. Im sure that one of the horses we saw as a yearling or 2 year old was Northern Dancer, it wasn't till many years later when I started to bet on the horses.

My friend and I loved to wander around the stables and visit the horses. It’s hard to believe that we were allowed to do that!

The Canada Life Building - not exactly 'lost' because it is still one of the most impressive of Toronto's landmarks.

The date on that 'City of Toronto Archives' photo may be incorrect - I believe the building was completed in 1931.

Canada Life Building 1930:31.JPG

Attachments

• Canada Life Building 1930:31.JPG
    Canada Life Building 1930:31.JPG
    288.7 KB · Views: 1,015

Back