News   Jul 08, 2024
 361     1 
News   Jul 08, 2024
 1K     7 
News   Jul 08, 2024
 610     0 

Evocative Images of Lost Toronto

They just dont make buildings like this anymore. What a shame. Toronto could have used some more monumental type buildings like this. roman columns need to make a comeback. detailed roman columns not strait plain boring ones like we get today.

Yonge and Cummer in 1968. I moved into the area in 1969 where I attended Drewry Public School (top left corner).

Attachments

• Yonge:Cummer1968 copy.jpg
    Yonge:Cummer1968 copy.jpg
    660 KB · Views: 592
Yonge and Cummer in 1968. I moved into the area in 1969 where I attended Drewry Public School (top left corner).

It's interesting that the buildings on the west side of Yonge St. aren't parallel to the road alignment, almost as if they were trying to keep them parallel to the alignment of Yonge south of St. Clair.

It's interesting that the buildings on the west side of Yonge St. aren't parallel to the road alignment, almost as if they were trying to keep them parallel to the alignment of Yonge south of St. Clair.

As is, on the E side, the present-day Food Basics (though not the rest of the mall).

And you find that a lot along Yonge north of Lawton, buildings that try to observe two grids at once--I call it the "Yonge Street Skew". (And it isn't just about Yonge itself; remember that the E-W streets and property lines have traditionally continued the further-south grid--that is, it's rare to witness *anything* intersecting north Yonge at a right angle., even if the warpage is too subtle to affect traffic patterns et al.)

I grew up and live in North York, but down by the 401. However, I'm quite familiar with Yonge between Hogg's Hollow and Doncaster, where I used to accompany my mom when she shopped at Bi-way. Remember Studio 81? Farther south, remember the Willow theatre and the Fire Pit next to the fire station? Ah, fond memories from my childhood in the '80s.:)

I grew up and live in North York, but down by the 401. However, I'm quite familiar with Yonge between Hogg's Hollow and Doncaster, where I used to accompany my mom when she shopped at Bi-way. Remember Studio 81? Farther south, remember the Willow theatre and the Fire Pit next to the fire station? Ah, fond memories from my childhood in the '80s.:)
In the 70s, it was Gem Store before Bi-Way replaced it.

^I was referring to Bi-Way and the like.

e.g. Bargain Harold's, Family Fair, Towers.

Although on the other hand, there is Dollarama for the bargain shopping, and some clothing retailers still going.

On another topic, does anyone know what's happening at the old Canada Bread building in the Liberty Village area? Is it being demolished or repurposed?

Back