News   Jun 17, 2024
 205     0 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 2.6K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 1.8K     1 

Evocative Images of Lost Toronto

I agree. Wouldn't it be nice, if one day it was restored to the original (I know, keep dreaming). Likewise, I'd love to see the original Confed Life building get it's original central tower back.

I'm with you on both of those. Those finials were just amazing, and the scope and flow of the entire building were beautiful and classic, while the post-fire version is merely nice. And while I'm happy the Confed Life building at least is still around, I'd love to see it in its original glory.

Well, technically, to "restore to the original", you'd have to knock everything down behind the tower--because it was a total post-fire rebuild from ground up, outside and inside. (Though J. Gibb Morton's academic Gothic design was so "tasteful" and "respectful", it's no wonder people think there's much more Victorian fabric than there actually is.)

Today is July 12th, once one of the most significant days on the Toronto calender, the day of the Orange Day Parade (the "Glorious 12th"), a Toronto in which you couldn't be elected to City Council unless you were a member of the Orange Order......

orange1919-1.jpg

The Orange Parade

Shouldn't we, at least, have some colour to represent the event?

Attachments

• kingbilly.jpg
    kingbilly.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 258
"Loyal Orange Lodge, LOL indeed!" QUOTE DSC.

Different tyme, different place.

Regards,
J T

Can someone tell me about that Fisherman's Island picture? Is that looking East or West? I am assuming that man-bridge is now the Eastern Gap?

Cheers

I will have to delve further into the above, but do see INTERNET ARCHIVES, Might's Toronto City Directory re placement. Keep in mind

Fisherman's Island was the westerly region of the sandspit with Lake Front being to it's east, it ultimately being renamed Simcoe Park Beach.

My uncle & father were delivered there during 1908. (11 Simcoe Park Beach.)

Regards,
J T

Back