News   Jun 17, 2024
 116     0 
News   Jun 17, 2024
 179     0 
News   Jun 17, 2024
 330     0 

Evocative Images of Lost Toronto

The man standing behind the driver of Auto Train No 1 was no doubt Mickey Wilson, the owner thereof. Mr Wilson was also the owner of

THE LAKEVIEW HOTEL aka THE WINCHESTER HOTEL, Parliament & Winchester Streets. After being granted the "rights" by the CNE, he

then bought the trains from their manufacture who was it Ohio? and DROVE THEM BACK TO TORONTO. The heart of the train was it's

motive power which if I remember correctly, were Massey-Harris-Ferguson tractors. The Trains had two sets of brakes, one being the

tractor brakes and the other being the electric trailer brakes; the trailer brakes being those used more than the other to prevent jack-

knifing.

THANK GOODNESS IT'S FRIDAY! (Eglinton N/S & Mt Pleasant) was an operation by the Wilson boys, Mickey's two son's.

Regards,
J T

BTW, I still have my CNE WORKS DEPARTMENT Vehicle Pass that was attached to the inside of the windshield by two suction cups.

That Sky Chef restaurant intrigues me. As does the revelation that there was once some kind of parapet-level lettering at the Queen + Yonge BMO...

I think "Sky Chef" is a great name, and I rather hope they had "Sky Burgers", or somesuch themed items.

Also "Photo Drome", in one of the earlier shots, is a great one. I'd like to say I was going to the Photo Drome, to take in a show.

Presumably the Sky Chef restaurant was not connected to the In-flight meal company of the same name. (LSG Sky Chefs is the brand name of all the groups in the LSG Lufthansa Service Holding AG, a 100% subsidiary of Deutsche Lufthansa AG. LSG Lufthansa Service Holding AG is headquartered in Neu-Isenburg (near Frankfurt), Germany. In 2010, the companies belonging to LSG Sky Chefs Group achieved consolidated revenues of € 2.2 billion.)

Cooke's Presbyterian Church - Queen St. East at Mutual

While searching through some old negatives I came across these. Queen St. looking east from approximatly Bond street around 1975. The church in the background is gone. Doing a google seach it seems that it was called Cooke's Presbyterian and it was demolished in 1982. The picture on the google page doesn't look the same and I wondered if anyone had more information.

queen_st_3a.jpg

queen_st_2.jpg

Looking East from Bond Street

While searching through some old negatives I came across these. Queen St. looking east from approximatly Bond street around 1975. The church in the background is gone. Doing a google seach it seems that it was called Cooke's Presbyterian and it was demolished in 1982. The picture on the google page doesn't look the same and I wondered if anyone had more information.

I believe the body of the church remained, but the front was rebuilt in the Romanesque style...

queen_st_3a.jpg

queen_st_2.jpg

Thanks for the great pics, west_end. I also at one point tried to find pictures of the church and found very little except of the original. Here's some info on its history:

http://archeion-aao.fis.utoronto.ca...dKey=F&FilePath=ON00313f/ON00313-f0000116.xml

On another note, both its demolition in 1982 and the relocation of the original CityTV from opposite the site to Queen West in 1987, left a physical void to Queen East that has only just started to come back in the last few years.

Here's a similar view from 1917:

s0372_ss0058_it0652.jpg

Last edited:
The round turretted? building (Thrifty's, now a pizza parlour) is at the N/E corner of Church & King Streets with

Cookes being between Dalhousie & Mutual Streets.

Regards,
J T

The round turretted? building (Thrifty's, now a pizza parlour) is at the N/E corner of Church & King Streets with

Cookes being between Dalhousie & Mutual Streets.

Regards,
J T

Church and Queen, JT. AAh, Thrifty's....once upon a time the only place to buy jeans in Toronto....

"Church and Queen, JT." QUOTE thecharioteer.

YES; Church & QUEEN!

It could have been a Lot worse, eg: King, Duke, Duchess, Princess, Regent. (LOL)

Rgards,
j t

Speaking of Church Street: View down Church from Shuter c. 1890 (from the Ontario Archives):

churchshuter.jpg

And three of the Metropolitan Church before the fire (best finials in TO):

metropolitanchurch.jpg

metropolitanchurch2.jpg

metropolitanchurch4.jpg

And after the fire:

metropolitanchurch3.jpg

Last edited:

queen_st_3a.jpg

queen_st_2.jpg

Wonderful 70's pics! Note in first pic, Public Optical sign, they where everywhere, and plaid sport jacket. Second pic, gentlman with tie waiting to cross and two "long haired freaky people" in Birkenstrollers. Classic 70's Toronto for sure.

Speaking of Church Street: View down Church from Shuter c. 1890 (from the Ontario Archives):

churchshuter.jpg

And three of the Metropolitan Church before the fire (best finials in TO):

metropolitanchurch.jpg

metropolitanchurch2.jpg

metropolitanchurch4.jpg

And after the fire:

metropolitanchurch3.jpg

The Metropolitan Methodist church before the fire was stunning. It really was a cathedral to Methodism. After its fire, it was rebuilt as a beautiful church that is still comparable to the neighbouring cathedrals, yet simplified from the original.

The Metropolitan Methodist church before the fire was stunning. It really was a cathedral to Methodism. After its fire, it was rebuilt as a beautiful church that is still comparable to the neighbouring cathedrals, yet simplified from the original.

I agree. Wouldn't it be nice, if one day it was restored to the original (I know, keep dreaming). Likewise, I'd love to see the original Confed Life building get it's original central tower back.

Back