News   May 09, 2024
 310     1 
News   May 08, 2024
 1.6K     2 
News   May 08, 2024
 1.4K     3 

Evocative Images of Lost Toronto

U.S. Consulate under construction, University Avenue, 1950. The Gaol Tzedek Synagogue and Armouries across the street (Panda Archives):

Last edited:
Is this caption accurate? (Yonge St.?)

YongeSt1901_zps91a6f7ca.jpg

Help please! Does anyone have a better image of the six storey office building which once stood at the South East corner of Yonge and Queen? I seem to recall that it was shown in an architectural or engineering periodical - the kind that artfully arranged 3 or 4 photos of current projects on a page. I have just gone through the entire thread but alas, many image links no longer work.

Thanks!

Help please! Does anyone have a better image of the six storey office building which once stood at the South East corner of Yonge and Queen? I seem to recall that it was shown in an architectural or engineering periodical - the kind that artfully arranged 3 or 4 photos of current projects on a page. I have just gone through the entire thread but alas, many image links no longer work.

Thanks!

Go through the recently released Naylor fonds on the Toronto Archives site (Search "Naylor", without checking off the "scanned photographs" box). (https://gencat4.eloquent-systems.co...=City+of+Toronto+Archives&eloquentref=toronto).

Click on "Browse" and go to File 53 "Historical Bank Buildings". The building was a branch of the Imperial Bank and was demolished mid-1980's.

f1526_fl0053_it0092-2.jpg

f1526_fl0053_it0089.jpg

f1526_fl0053_it0086.jpg

Attachments

• f1526_fl0053_it0092-2.jpg
    f1526_fl0053_it0092-2.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 547
  • f1526_fl0053_it0089.jpg
    f1526_fl0053_it0089.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 572
  • f1526_fl0053_it0086.jpg
    f1526_fl0053_it0086.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 544
Last edited:
Thanks so much charioteer. You're absolutely amazing!

I always admired the proportions and restraint of this building but was never certain how to classify it stylistically. It's not quite Edwardian and has a whiff of Italian Palaccio about it. Any thoughts anyone?

Last edited:
It's Yonge looking north from Temperance (Dineen Building on left).

Must be further south than Temperance, there are tracks on the cross street and the Confederation Life building is too far in the distance to be Temperance (which is only one block south of Richmond). It's most probably looking north from King.

"Must be further south than Temperance . ."
QUOTE.

MIGHT'S TORONTO CITY DIRECTORY 1899:

Dineen Furs.
Yonge at Temperance.

Regards,
J T

"Must be further south than Temperance . ."
QUOTE.

MIGHT'S TORONTO CITY DIRECTORY 1899:

Dineen Furs.
Yonge at Temperance.

Regards,
J T

I'm still not convinced. There are too many buildings between the camera and the Confed Life building. The Confed Life building is right there when you stand at the corner of Yonge & Temperance. Plus there were never any streetcar tracks on Temperance (the ones in the photo appear to go straight across the intersection) and the building doesn't match the Dineen building (which has four storeys, the one in this photo has only three). Did Dineen's operate somewhere else before the Dineen building went up?

Last edited:
C'mon Gang!

INVESTIGATE THE INTERNET:

Toronto Public Library - Toronto City Directories

&

For "Other Stuff", internetarchive.org.

Regards,
J T

I'm still not convinced. There are too many buildings between the camera and the Confed Life building. The Confed Life building is right there when you stand at the corner of Yonge & Temperance. Plus there were never any streetcar tracks on Temperance (the ones in the photo appear to go straight across the intersection) and the building doesn't match the Dineen building (which has four storeys, the one in this photo has only three). Did Dineen's operate somewhere else before the Dineen building went up?

Albert, you're right and I was wrong (as is the Library of Congress). It's from just south of King, as shown on this stereoscopic pic in the TPL, second pic below:

Last edited:

Back