News   May 09, 2024
 321     1 
News   May 08, 2024
 1.6K     2 
News   May 08, 2024
 1.4K     3 

Evocative Images of Lost Toronto

Excellent work, gang.
I'm glad I questioned the original caption.
And J.T.'s prompting certainly helped.

"And J.T.'s prompting certainly helped."
QUOTE: Prof Goldie.

My question is if the Might's Directory of 1899 includes Dineen at Yonge & Temperance Streets,

and the pics caption (Library of Congress) has them as 1901 . . .

Regards,
J T

"And J.T.'s prompting certainly helped."
QUOTE: Prof Goldie.

My question is if the Might's Directory of 1899 includes Dineen at Yonge & Temperance Streets,

and the pics caption (Library of Congress) has them as 1901 . . .

Regards,
J T

Could be the dates on the photos are wrong. This pic from the TPL, dated 1889, shows Dineen's on the NW corner of K & Y.

The Georgian building housing Dineen's appears in the Goad atlas for the last time in the 1899 edition. By the 1903 edition the NW corner houses the Dominion Bond Building, which is shown below in 1902, decorated for the coronation of Edward VII:

"After 1900" (according to the Archives):

1920:

1920's:

1950:

1952:

The current building on the site was designed by Peter Dickinson and built in 1959:

Last edited:
I'm almost pleased the the Library of Congress made the original location error (and possibly the date, too).
That error has generated some excellent detective work.
Should we tell Congress?
Or keep it as a Canadian secret?

I'm almost pleased the the Library of Congress made the original location error (and possibly the date, too).
That error has generated some excellent detective work.
Should we tell Congress?
Or keep it as a Canadian secret?

No doubt the US National Security Agency is monitoring all of our discussions so they probably know already! :->

Albert, you're right and I was wrong (as is the Library of Congress). It's from just south of King, as shown on this stereoscopic pic in the TPL, second pic below:

Hard to look up city directories at work, got to it now. Might's 1895 Directory lists W & D Dineen "Hats, Caps and Furs" at "King n-w corner Yonge" confirming everyone's sleuthing skills. Thanks to all.

Last edited:
Dineen at King and Yonge? Same Dineen as the one at Temperance these days?

It would appear to be.

With regards to the Peter Dickinson building at 4 King West, interesting going to the Naylor fonds from the 70's and seeing how much better it looked pre-"renovation". Would be great to see a proper renovation along the lines of 111 Richmond.

1970's:

From the north (during construction of Scotia Plaza):

Replacing the dun-coloured spandrels along the lines of Lever House could be an interesting direction:

Last edited:
It would appear to be.

With regards to the Peter Dickinson building at 4 King West, interesting going to the Naylor fonds from the 70's and seeing how much better it looked pre-"renovation". Would be great to see a proper renovation along the lines of 111 Richmond.

Though compared to what's happened to much from its era, it's remarkable how, aside from the sloped canopy, they really left well enough alone for the most part.

Replacing the dun-coloured spandrels along the lines of Lever House could be an interesting direction:

But then, you're getting away from the "leaving well enough alone" part.

4 King is a big favourite. Always think it would be cool to have the second floor corner office overlooking King and Yonge. Wave down at the people.

Sightseeing 1910

seeingToronto1910_zps085dcb34.jpg

Back