News   Jul 12, 2024
 804     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 731     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 307     0 

Evocative Images of Lost Toronto

Thanks, lemur, for that link to the UK importer.
Too bad it's not easily available in Toronto stores.
I once loved that stuff!

The Pure Soap people have a carbolic soap that isn't too far off Life Buoy. I enjoy the coal tar soap, myself. I get it from a store near Dufferin and Eglinton, but I think I've seen it down at the St. Lawrence Market.

http://puresoapworks.com/bar_soap.htm

Colgate-Palmolive Canada, Colgate Ave., n.w. corner Carlaw Ave

pictures-r-4126_zpsc93b5a1d.gif

That's a magnificent photo of a factory production line. Thanks to thedeepend.
I immediately thought of other industrial photos I've seen such as this image of another all-women group.
This is the GECO munitions plant in Scarborough (1942) where the products are certainly not soap!

GECO1942.jpg

P.S. The reproduction is unsharp only because it's an enlargement of a small internet file.

I just love those old multi-pipe steam rads, Jenkins valves, and Webster steam traps!

Just keep the pressure low and run continuous; no steam hammer and kindly heating.

Regards,
J T

Jarvis, William Botsford, 'Rosedale', Rosedale Rd., w. side, betw. Avondale Rd. & Cluny Ave.

Shows veterans of War of 1812 at garden party for prize giving of Fifth Militia District Rifle Association.

October 23, 1861

pictures-r-4596_zps235d4978.gif

Untitled-1_zps1223e5fa.gif

Untitled-2_zps611e1e57.gif

Lower left hand corner. I had no idea about the Erskine church (very reminiscent of the Metropolitan Church on Queen)! Later Goad maps show the houses at the corner of the Avenue (seen below) replaced by a public school, as seen in your pic. Interesting the pedestrian safety posts across College (University) Avenue.

simcoeelm.jpg

Last edited:

Back