News   Jul 12, 2024
 768     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 694     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 302     0 

Evocative Images of Lost Toronto

The "classic" Reitman's logo (as seen on the previous page of this thread) would also count.

bobwhalen3.jpg

Oh, and from the same post, I can't help thinking of how Jimmy Savile types thrived in the 70s...

2586648.jpg

The "classic" Reitman's logo (as seen on the previous page of this thread) would also count.

very true...looks to be same vintage....

Oh, and from the same post, I can't help thinking of how Jimmy Savile types thrived in the 70s...

the 'innocence' of images like that died later in the decade. they are from the time before Emanuel Jaques....

Last edited:
I forgot all about that canopy over the subway entrance S of Shuter. (And the Eaton Centre's Yonge St face back in its high-tech days sure was, uh, "airy"...)

Those letterforms wouldn’t have had a name per se, as ‘fonts’ didn’t really exist in the way that we understand them today; they were rarely anyone’s intellectual property, and they weren’t licensed or distributed in any way because there was no way of doing so, or any need to.

They certainly had names and were attributed to designers within the world of printing and publishing, where type foundries held the rights to typefaces, but you're right that sign makers would have made these letters as one-offs. By the time these photos were taken, fonts such as Kabel and Futura were being revived and re-licensed.

The low crossbar on the E is very typical of Moderne typefaces, while the R is similar to the one used in the Toronto subway font. It's possible that the Yonge Street sign was a recreation in plexiglas while the Albert Street sign was the pre-war original.

It's possible that the Yonge Street sign was a recreation in plexiglas while the Albert Street sign was the pre-war original.

Though would it have been plexiglas, necessarily? It could have been just plain glass, or some other kind of proto-plexiglas acrylic. (Might there be anything similar in the Carlu? Come to think of it, I wouldn't be surprised if the original Eaton's underwent some concurrent Jacques Carlu modernization, possibly even including this signage...something to consider...)

They certainly had names and were attributed to designers within the world of printing and publishing, where type foundries held the rights to typefaces, but you're right that sign makers would have made these letters as one-offs. By the time these photos were taken, fonts such as Kabel and Futura were being revived and re-licensed.

The low crossbar on the E is very typical of Moderne typefaces, while the R is similar to the one used in the Toronto subway font. It's possible that the Yonge Street sign was a recreation in plexiglas while the Albert Street sign was the pre-war original.

thank you for the additional info! interesting to note that, according to Wiki, both Kabel and Futura were designed in the same year (1927)....
as far as the 'revival' of these early modernist fonts. i imagine we are looking at the early 1970's? also, i wonder whether the original German type foundries still held the rights at that point....

From the 1887 City Directory these businesses were in that block:

201-203 Roberts Mrs W, dry gds
Little Aaron
205 Yoot Loy, laundry
207 Hendry Mrs M fancy gds
209 Moran Eugene confy
211 Christie Wm, harnessmkr
Yokom David
213 Sylvester W J, gro

Last edited:
I'm not sure about the exact dates of the revivals; I do associate Kabel with the (early) '70s, so much so that it initially didn't occur to me that it was much older. In many cases, the rights to fonts from the 1920s (and also earlier and later typefaces) ended up in the hands of major typesetting companies through a process of acquisitions and bankruptcies.

Another view of King East, btwn George and Frederick, 1887, from the TPL:

pictures-r-2714.jpg

And in art from 1912:

pictures-r-2964.jpg

Last edited:
Those letterforms wouldn’t have had a name per se, as ‘fonts’ didn’t really exist in the way that we understand them today; they were rarely anyone’s intellectual property, and they weren’t licensed or distributed in any way because there was no way of doing so, or any need to.

Those letters would have been initially designed by, and drawn by hand and then scaled up, to be formed out of metal or possibly even cut out of wood. I suppose there is a possibility they could have been made out of an early plastic like Bakelite, but I’m not sure what kind of moulding technologies might have existed back then. the Yonge Street sign looks to be made out of plexiglass which is interesting, and poses a question as to whether this sign might be from a later date than the Albert Street one, because as far as i know plexiglass wasn't all that commercially available until after 1945.

These particular letterforms are a beautiful example of the 'moderne' style that dominated in the later 1920’s-30’s; they pre-date the classic ‘high modern’ international-style forms of sans serif like Helvetica that began their ascendancy after WW2.

Anyway, it’s likely that these beautiful letters were a one-off, created out of whole cloth in Toronto by some anonymous talented long dead soul.

Perhaps like these?

1950:

s0574_fl0024_id49459.jpg

Back