News   May 10, 2024
 312     0 
News   May 10, 2024
 303     0 
News   May 10, 2024
 414     0 

Eglinton East LRT | Metrolinx

It is clear to me that spending $4B on an at grade tram with poor future capacity abilities is not a good idea.

Hot take: What if the Eglinton East money is used for an infill station at Brimley on SSE. This best serves the Existing density & future development areas on Eglinton East. The remaining money could used for more bus lanes in Scarborough (on Lawrence etc).

The Brimley station would be very useful, but probably too late to add it at this stage. Would require a design update, and delay the whole thing.

The Eglinton east lrt would greatly help the Markham and Morningside neighborhoods and the USTC students, + Malvern seeing as it would be going up to there as well.

Really I want Sheppard to atleast Markham and then Eglinton East LRT.

If it's one or the other then I would say Sheppard, although I would get more use out of Eglinton. Well I dirve, but I'm a transit enthusiast and sympathizer

It is clear to me that spending $4B on an at grade tram with poor future capacity abilities is not a good idea.

Hot take: What if the Eglinton East money is used for an infill station at Brimley on SSE. This best serves the Existing density & future development areas on Eglinton East. The remaining money could used for more bus lanes in Scarborough (on Lawrence etc).
This makes too much sense, especially with the EELRT now running as a separate line eastward. You could then start the Eglinton east lrt from a subway station at Danforth or Brimely and not have duplicate systems running west for 2 km. Would also elevate the problems they are having integrating the line into Kennedy, especially with SSE contracts in place. Tbm will be boring through this area in about 18 months and headwalls would have to be in place. Probably not feesable at this point. Great idea though

This makes too much sense, especially with the EELRT now running as a separate line eastward. You could then start the Eglinton east lrt from a subway station at Danforth or Brimely and not have duplicate systems running west for 2 km. Would also elevate the problems they are having integrating the line into Kennedy, especially with SSE contracts in place. Tbm will be boring through this area in about 18 months and headwalls would have to be in place. Probably not feesable at this point. Great idea though
That's horrible. That means to travel along Eglinton, you would need not just 1 but 2 linear transfers, Line 5 -> Kennedy -> Danforth -> Eglinton East LRT

That's horrible. That means to travel along Eglinton, you would need not just 1 but 2 linear transfers, Line 5 -> Kennedy -> Danforth -> Eglinton East LRT
The damage is already done.

This boggles my mind, spending how many billions to build a subway out that far where there is no rational reason for it, and for the purpose of building something else cheap. wow.
You say that today but in 15 years that campus is going to be like an Easten hub linking Durham to Toronto. They could build it in the hydro corridor which would be cheaper.

I'm not sure how a station at Brimley would best serve the development, there is not going to be high density development at Brimley, or the EELRT corridor, I would expect midrise along that corridor if anything.

You say that today but in 15 years that campus is going to be like an Easten hub linking Durham to Toronto. They could build it in the hydro corridor which would be cheaper.
A hub? Well not anywhere near one that makes considering a subway a rational idea.

why is this
He has good technical knowledge to why some things happen and others don’t. I can’t seem to remember but he will. These types of things are often proposed to save money but normally there’s a reason why they are not happening. To be clear there’s lots of reasons. People hear the reasons. But six months later they forget. Then the same proposals are routinely brought back up. I assure you there is a reason even if you don’t agree with it.

Back