News   Aug 09, 2024
 1.1K     2 
News   Aug 09, 2024
 832     0 
News   Aug 09, 2024
 3.7K     3 

Eglinton East LRT | Metrolinx

Regrettably, the City is in the wrong here.

1) Because the Eglinton LRT as conceived is a bad project.

2) Because if you wanted to build the EELRT, it would be far better and more cost effective to pay for an infill station on the SSE at Eglinton/Brimley and have the EELRT start there. The move to reduce the EELRT by almost 2km should fully pay for (or come close to fully paying for) the new station, which offers enormous benefits with or without an EELRT and shortens travel time on the latter.

Running the line out of Kennedy is not a worthwhile idea, in my judgement.
Do you know if what you are suggesting was ever seriously considered? Seems like a very reasonable idea. I guess the only downside is making the transfer from Eglinton LRT to Eglinton East LRT more difficult as you would need to take the subway for one stop, though I honestly have no idea it there would be a lot of people doing that transfer.

Do you know if what you are suggesting was ever seriously considered?

The idea of a station at that location along the SSE was absolutely considered at various points, do I think it was ever seriously considered in conjunction with the EELRT? No. Certainly I'm not aware of that discussion having happened. I think when the City got more serious about the EELRT, they viewed the decision not to include an infill station as a given........and just moved on.

Seems like a very reasonable idea.

I think so.

I guess the only downside is making the transfer from Eglinton LRT to Eglinton East LRT more difficult as you would need to take the subway for one stop, though I honestly have no idea it there would be a lot of people doing that transfer.

Valid consideration, which to my knowledge, no modelling has been done for.

I intuitively assume (in the absence of modelling one cannot say for sure how correctly) that the majority of traffic presumed to be UTSC bound will be coming from Line 2 rather than Line 5.

I intuitively assume (in the absence of modelling one cannot say for sure how correctly) that the majority of traffic presumed to be UTSC bound will be coming from Line 2 rather than Line 5.
I could be completely off the mark here, but I have my doubts on how true this is. It obviously depends on specific patterns, but assuming the majority of people who transfer to Line 2 are headed downtown, I imagine most of that traffic will be diverted the Lakeshore East Line at either Guildwood or Eglinton/Bellamy, not to mention the presence of the DSBRT for those headed to UTSC proper. At the very least, I think there's reason to believe that the numbers are a lot closer than you're probably imagining it'd be.

I could be completely off the mark here, but I have my doubts on how true this is. It obviously depends on specific patterns, but assuming the majority of people who transfer to Line 2 are headed downtown, I imagine most of that traffic will be diverted the Lakeshore East Line at either Guildwood or Eglinton/Bellamy, not to mention the presence of the DSBRT for those headed to UTSC proper. At the very least, I think there's reason to believe that the numbers are a lot closer than you're probably imagining it'd be.

Possible.

But even if that were true, there's already a forced transfer at Kennedy from the Crosstown, so worst case scenario, my idea adds one additional transfer/wait, for a fairly frequent Line 2, but is offset by at least a 3 minute reduction in travel time by shifting the EELRT further east, all while producing the added value of a new station at the close to the same investment as currently proposed.

That said, overall, I remain opposed to the EELRT until we can demonstrate that it reduces the Line 2 to :UTSC travel time by at least 20%.

I also favour removing the section from UTSC northwards, which does create a potential issue around the MSF.

I think the needs of Malvern/North Scarborough are quite important but better served by other choices.

Back