News   Apr 19, 2024
 2.2K     1 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 935     3 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 1.5K     3 

Eglinton East LRT | Metrolinx

^ Some updates in this member motion that will be on the Council agenda on February 2, 2022 and a letter from UTSC's CAO.

Good find!

Let me bring the salient bits forward:

1643557830177.png

In the background of the above, there are some things to note as well:

1643557874972.png

1643557895088.png

I thought they were looking into the site south of the 401 for the MSF. The Sheppard site is interesting, I'm not sure the plot is wide enough but otherwise, it's a pretty decent location. Also happy to see rail brought just a couple hundred metres closer to the zoo. Hopefully they get a branch of the EELRT out that way eventually. They could really boost the zoos guest counts if the only way to TTC there wasn't the stupid infrequent busses.

Good find!

View attachment 377402

View attachment 377403
View attachment 377404

8304 Sheppard East is near the Conlins road. Notably, they are leaning towards that location for the MSF, rather than trying to find a new slot along Eglinton East or Kingston.

I guess, there are both pros and cons with that choice. One disadvatage is that the line will have to reach Sheppard in Phase 1, rather than just connect the Kennedy Stn to UTSC. A longer Phase 1 means a higher cost, and thus harder to push through, but maybe the cost difference is not that big. Another disadvantage is that the new MSF will be located very far from ECLRT. It will serve Eg East just fine, but if there are any plans to house some of the ECLRT trains at the Eg East MSF, those trains will need to travel for 30+ minutes before they reach their service area.

But, one advantage is that more land along the Eg East corridor will be available for TOD, rather than being used for MSF. Another advantage is that once Phase 1 reaches Sheppard, connections to the Sheppard / McCowan subway and to Malvern Centre will be a bit easier to fund in Phase 2.

I thought they were looking into the site south of the 401 for the MSF. The Sheppard site is interesting, I'm not sure the plot is wide enough but otherwise, it's a pretty decent location. Also happy to see rail brought just a couple hundred metres closer to the zoo. Hopefully they get a branch of the EELRT out that way eventually. They could really boost the zoos guest counts if the only way to TTC there wasn't the stupid infrequent busses.

The Sheppard site is inherited from the original Sheppard East LRT plans, and if I am not mistaken, the land has been purchaced and reserved for transit.

The Zoo is a highly seasonal destination, very busy on Summer weekends but not busy at all during the cold half of the year. However, if the LRT tracks go to Sheppard and Conlins anyway to reach the MSF, then perhaps it is not a bad idea to extend a bit further and get a branch that serves the Zoo.

One strange side effect of the better transit to the Zoo is that the latter will lose quite a bit in parking revenues. Probably will happen anyway when the Sheppard / McCowan subway station opens (+ express bus from there to the Zoo), but even moreso with the LRT link. Not that fewer parked cars is a bad thing, but the city has to keep in mind that the subsidy that the Zoo is getting might have to be increased once the transit gets better.

The Sheppard site is inherited from the original Sheppard East LRT plans, and if I am not mistaken, the land has been purchaced and reserved for transit.

The Zoo is a highly seasonal destination, very busy on Summer weekends but not busy at all during the cold half of the year. However, if the LRT tracks go to Sheppard and Conlins anyway to reach the MSF, then perhaps it is not a bad idea to extend a bit further and get a branch that serves the Zoo.

One strange side effect of the better transit to the Zoo is that the latter will lose quite a bit in parking revenues. Probably will happen anyway when the Sheppard / McCowan subway station opens (+ express bus from there to the Zoo), but even moreso with the LRT link. Not that fewer parked cars is a bad thing, but the city has to keep in mind that the subsidy that the Zoo is getting might have to be increased once the transit gets better.
heres hopping increased ticket revenue makes up for it! the zoo is also actively trying to create a more appealing winter experience, so it's getting slightly less seasonal.

heres hopping increased ticket revenue makes up for it! the zoo is also actively trying to create a more appealing winter experience, so it's getting slightly less seasonal.
With all the families moving to the suburbs maybe they'll need the parking spaces freed up by transit? We'd have to see pre and post covid #s

The line could be made more likely to get built by removing expensive and unneeded changes to the plan like the extension to Malvern and the underground part from Lawrence to Morningside.

Does the Sheppard site imply anything with respect to extending higher order transit east from the current end of the Sheppard subway? Does this make LRT more likely on Sheppard vs extending the subway?

- Paul

Does the Sheppard site imply anything with respect to extending higher order transit east from the current end of the Sheppard subway? Does this make LRT more likely on Sheppard vs extending the subway?

- Paul

There is already work being done on extending the Sheppard subway at a planning level.

That's already in the cards, and I don't see this as material in that discussion.

It does make more likely that there would be an LRT from the McCowan Station of the SSE (and possibly an extended Sheppard line in the more distant future) to points east, to meet up with the Eglinton East extension.

The line could be made more likely to get built by removing expensive and unneeded changes to the plan like the extension to Malvern and the underground part from Lawrence to Morningside.
I mean the city seems pretty hell bent on building this thing so I imagine it'll get done. Wouldn't call malvern "unneeded" and given the site they're hoping to put the MSF on there's gonna be track halfway to malvern from UTSC anyways so. Also don't think making Lawrence-Kingston at-grade again would make this project any more likely to be built. It's a single underground station, not a long tunnel with multiple stations, so the price difference is not going to be massive enough to persude some level of government to fund the project or not. I also think having that station underground could be really useful and just nice. Doesn't interfere with the traffic at Kingston and Morningside which can be pretty heavy, it provides a higher quality experience at what would be one of the busiest stations on the line, and it frees up a bit of space above ground for a better public realm which would be great if the area continues to see intensification but on a larger scale, could turn into a bit of a transit node with several connecting bus routes.

Good find!

View attachment 377402

View attachment 377403
View attachment 377404
The City has committed 1.2 billion out of 4.2 billion required. I can't see why the province and the feds cant split 1.5 billion each and get this project in the ground. Anyone have any thoughts when funding could potentially be secured? In the next year or 2 or are we looking way down the line?

Back