665     3 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 837     1 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 621     0 

Edge Lofts (625 Queen East, Streetcar, 6s, Quadrangle) COMPLETE

Today:
DSC01622.jpg

I noticed this project as I drove south on the DVP today. I have not seen it in a while so I do not know what is recent progress and what isn't, but it looks like it has been topped out for a while now and the building is being clad. Has it stagnated in that way for a while now?

UrbanD - is it really fair to raise a bankruptcy rumour unless you have proof of that?

Work is still progressing on the building. Drywall was being unloaded today.

IMO, Streetcar is a small developer that may have bitten off slightly more than they can chew. Edge and Vinegar are currently being built (Vinegar quite behind schedule and again IMO, is not turning out as well as conceptualized). Streetcar Phase I is in very very early stages of construction (buildings at 569 King E and 52 Sumach recently demolished). With plans for Corktown Phase II and another development in the works at Queen & Gladstone, Streetcar is very busy. In the past, they've had two projects on the go at the same time at most. Now they're juggling five....

I like Streetcar's projects - their size and context within the neighbourhoods.
Nice mid-rises with modern exteriors, although their interior layouts could be better than the typical long and narrow floorplate.

I just hope they don't become a victim of their own success and as you say, bite more than they can chew. If I recall correctly, BJL did alot of the marketing for their current projects. I hope Les wasn't too charmed by BJL's egotism into thinking that rising RE values would continue forever.

Cladding looks great!

They're buttoning up this project, and the choice of cladding (sort of a gunmetal gray/brown colour) and asymmetric windows are very modern look without being yet another glass curtainwall. I'm a fan.

This project looks to have some great retail space at ground level, but it's not really a strolling block -- I wonder what would work. It would need to be a bit of a destination.

I like those floor-to-ceiling windows ... thanks UD ~

I'm not suprised on the lack of forum interest on this, given that's the usual reaction on projects locate anywhere outside of the downtown core

I like those floor-to-ceiling windows ... thanks UD ~

I'm not suprised on the lack of forum interest on this, given that's the usual reaction on projects locate anywhere outside of the downtown core

I agree--I think it's a fuzzy idea of what the downtown core really is.

This project is closer to the arbitrary centre of Toronto's downtown (say, King & Bay) as Trinity Bellwoods is.

2.6km
http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=d&sadd...79.356201&sspn=0.009609,0.016866&ie=UTF8&z=15

2.8km
http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=d&sadd...79.401155&sspn=0.019221,0.033731&ie=UTF8&z=15

Sure, but this is across the river, which is a physical as well as a psychological border.

... hence the name 'Edge'. The core definitely does not cross the Don.

Back