Re: Edge - Queen East Lofts

From The Star:

Site revitalizing urban eastside
Building boasts great city views Project on edge

of Don River
Jun. 3, 2006. 01:00 AM
PATTI WINSA
TORONTO STAR

It's at the edge of the Don River, the parkway, the West Don Lands, Corktown, even downtown.

But in a few years, Edge Lofts will be at the core of a revitalized eastside area, a rejuvenation that began with the development of the Distillery District and will continue with the reinvention of Regent Park and the urbanization of the West Don Lands.

The 66-unit loft building will be located at the southeast corner of Queen St. E. and the East Don Roadway, on the site of a former used-car dealership.

Streetcar Developments is the company that's overseeing construction.

Founded 3 1/2 years ago, Streetcar Developments began with a loft project on Queen St. E. near Woodbine Ave. It was the positive nature of that venture ¡ª Academy Lanes ¡ª that led to the company's main-street development philosophy and its willingness to move its office to the same area as the project.

"The experience on Queen St. was so positive, the way the neighbourhood developed, that we've turned that into our philosophy," says company founder Les Mallins.

The company has plans to develop two main-street properties next year in Corktown.

Located on a slight hill just at the east side of the Queen St. Leslieville bridge, the six-storey building will literally stand out against the lower elevations of the surrounding structures.

Edge should also provide some good views of downtown.

West-facing units will have a "completely unobstructed view of the city," says Mallins, and higher units should have a view of the lake. An indoor and outdoor rooftop amenity room will offer owners that same vista.

Quadrangle Architects, the firm that designed the BMW dealership visible from the Don Valley Parkway, also designed Edge Lofts.

"We tried to take elements from that building," says Mallins. Aside from some charcoal-grey brick in the recessed balconies of the units, Edge Lofts is almost all glass. The architects have incorporated a staggered window grid, not only as a design element, but also for the practical purposes of opening windows.

And because the building is on a streetcar line, and just east of the DVP, the glass will be designed in such a way to minimize noise.

All but three of the units have balconies or terraces. Prices begin at $189,900 for a first-floor, 637-square-foot unit, with 464 square feet of exterior space and southeast exposure, to $369,900 for a 1,086-square-foot loft on the fifth floor, with a 69-square-foot balcony and northeast exposure. Monthly condo fees are $213.44 and $363.89 respectively.

Exactly half the lofts are one-bedroom plus den. The rest are evenly split between one-bedroom and two-bedroom units. The building has two levels of underground parking, which is an additional $27,000 and includes a 4-by-8-foot locker, or $3,000 for the locker only. Loft designs are open concept with sliding partition doors between the bedroom and living space and floor-to-ceiling windows.

Features include 10-foot ceilings, concrete floors, energy-efficient windows and a laundry closet with stacked washer and dryer.

Depending on unit, washrooms are equipped with deep soaker tubs, porcelain tiles on floor, shower walls and tub surround and brushed chrome faucets.

The modern kitchens are open concept and include contemporary cabinets with metal pulls, a porcelain tile backsplash, stone countertops and stainless steel appliances including a self-cleaning oven. Some kitchens have large islands.

The sales office, including a fully furnished model suite, is open weekendsfrom noon to 5 p.m. and Monday and Tuesday from 2 to 7 p.m. at 625 Queen St. E.

For more information go to www.edgelofts.ca or call Brad J. Lamb Realty, 416-368-8907.

The company has plans to develop two main-street properties next year in Corktown.

One of these Corktown properties is 549 King East which used to be a auto repair garage at the corner of King East and Sumach but is now a big pit partially filled with remediated dirt.

504WB22.jpg

I went to a meeting a couple of weeks back set up by the developer. They are thinking of putting up a 6 story condo with some townhomes behind the condo off of Percy Street. The interesting thing about thier plans was the intention to dig up Percy to replace some old lead pipes and repair the roofs of the old workers cottages along percy street.

504WB23.jpg

The meeting was to gauge neighbourhood reaction to thier initial plans and were by no means final. They were looking for a mid 08 completion with plans finalizing later this year.

thx to spmarshall's "meet the 504" thread for pics

The other corktown location appears to be 19 river st. (River just north of queen. I popped in the beer store across the street and noticed the planning notice when i came out. Appears to be a reno of the "Wing Hang" building.

19river.jpg

The Edge location, with traffic roaring past from all angles, is bad enough, but I feel even sadder for the people living kitty-corner to it across the DVP in the Malthouse condos. Now that the Humane Society has added an extra floor what little view they once had to the south is gone forever.

Just north - and a bit east - of the Edge site, there is a city sign in the little strip mall next to the New Edwin Hotel, for a proposed new condo development with 58 units. Saw it as I went past on the streetcar recently.

I will never get projects like this. Beside the Don Valley Parkway????

Though I would not want to live there, I feel grateful to the developers and purchasers for filling in a gap of some sort. I feel the same away about 18 Yonge - mystifying that people would live there, but I'm happy they do.

It has spectacular guaranteed views of downtown. If it's well sound-proofed, I don't see a problem with it.

The staff report seems positively giddy at the prospect of someone actually wanting to build a 6-storey midrise, and not a 36-storey tower, along one of the "Avenues."

I wonder:

Is Edge lofts popular with Ford sales people? You know, I live at Edge I drive an Edge and I'm so cool that I live on the Edge (of downtown toronto.)

Whatever happened to East Lofts? I like both--however, time to evolve into something more forward--pushing beyond Nblox even. Brad Lamb, hope you're willing to step up and do something really really Dutch!

Back