News   May 13, 2024
 296     0 
News   May 10, 2024
 2.2K     2 
News   May 10, 2024
 3.3K     0 

East Bayfront: Parkside/Bayside/Dockside neighbourhoods Overview

One thing I'm not clear on is what will happen to transit in this area, given the Ford dictat that there be no surface streetcars. This whole area was originally planned with significant streetcar/LRT support, and it is hard to imagine the neighbourhoods working with just bus service.

I don't think we'll have an answer to that for sometime. And while it may be Ford's doing it will not be the 'no streetcar mandate bit' that drives that, it'll be the money involved. A lot of the money for QQ E street car expanasion has to come from the city, just about none of it is from waterfront Toronto. And it entails quite a bit - lots of tunneling and expanding Union stations terminal. I can just about gurantee you this will not be done for 2015/16 (i.e. to correspond with the easy bayfront project). In otherwords, bus service will be used - it's possible it'll have it's own right of way to start.

This sounds bad but let's stop and think for a second - it will suck that the office compontent will not go ahead; I don't even understand why a contract would specify a specific transit mode (i.e. 'LRT') which it apparently does as opposed to just stating 'sufficent transit'. Anyway, my point is, there's no way there will be demand for a LRT for sometime to come, probably a decade easily. Bus service will suffice without any issues whatsoever. It's not ideal, but I think that's what we'll see.

Steve Munro says:

"I am planning an update on Waterfront projects generally, but in brief here’s the situation. Waterfront Toronto has enough money in its budget to do [Queen's Quay] from roughly Spadina to York for the complete street makeover. The TTC will do the streetcar tracks all the way to the portal starting in September, and the road reconstruction/reconfiguration will follow next spring. The timing of the streetscape east from York to Jarvis (phase 2) and then to Parliament (phase 3) is uncertain due to budget issues.

The Queen’s Quay east streetcar is in trouble because the cost estimate keeps going up mainly due to tunneling issues. I am trying to get more info on that subject. I would not be surprised to see us stuck with buses (and a lousy connection at Union) for some years. So much for a “transit first” approach to the Waterfront."

Feb 16
6894892823_a753162fed_b.jpg

6894893315_244f601c2d_b.jpg

6894908811_71608294d5_b.jpg

6894909973_b31b1a3c71_b.jpg

In other news, from the October 20 WT Board Meeting CEO Report:

East Bayfront (EBF)
Bayside
On May 23, 2017, the Ministry of the Environment and Climate Change (MOECC) accepted the Risk Assessment (RA) for the Bayside Phase II land. This is a major milestone to achieving a Certificate of Property Use (CPU) and Record of Site Condition (RSC) that will allow residential development on these lands. The CPU was finalized on September 7, 2017 and the RSC is currently under review with the MOECC. The final RSC is expected to be issued at the end of October. Conditions from the executed Subdivision A greement are currently being satisfied by Waterfront Toronto and Subdivision Registration is anticipated to follow in mid-October 2017. This will allow Hines/Tridel to close on the R5 property and commence construction of Aquabella in the fall.

Given the continued strength of the condo market in the eastern waterfront, Waterfront Toronto is having ongoing discussions with the Bayside Development Partner on the acceleration of the A1/A2 site a year ahead of schedule. Waterfront Toronto, the City and the Development Partner are also reviewing the requirements for a City operated recreation center in Bayside and assessing programming and design parameters appropriate for a recreation center at the A1/A2 site. Waterfront Toronto, the City and the Development Partner will work together to determine if the A1/A2 development would be a suitable location for such a facility.

The pre-qualification phase of the RFP for the construction of the Cherry Street Storm Water Facility has been completed, and 5 general contractors have been shortlisted. We are now in the detailed pricing phase, with final contract award expected in November 2017.

Within Bayside Phase 1 the public realm deferrals were completed on Merchants` Wharf adjacent to the newly occupied Aqualina development. Hines is coordinating the handover of the Water’s Edge Promenade to the City Park’s department. The final commissioning of the Stormwater Attenuation Facility is planned for early November with Toronto Water.

A construction contract was issued to Deltera for the delivery of Edgewater Drive within the Aquavista development.

The procurement for the construction of Aitken Place Park will be going through a detailed value optimization exercise with the Proponents, Landscape Architect and Waterfront Toronto.

Construction for Bayside Phase 2 public roads and dockwall reinforcing continues with the installation of the dewatering system, surface removals and demolitions, and dockwall test pits.

A consultant has been retained for the replacement of Jarvis Slip dockwall reinforcing adjacent to Block 1 in Dockside. Preliminary concepts have been produced with a risk assessment and preliminary costing underway

http://waterfrontoronto.ca/nbe/wcm/...CEO+Report+-+October+20,+2017.pdf?MOD=AJPERES

AoD

No idea where this should go under, but will start here.

There are 2 sites for this event, but I believe The Globe and Mail Building on King St is the right one. Can't make either day since I am already book elsewhere

Waterfront for All Waterfront Summit

I'm writing to let you know about the upcoming Waterfront Summit, organized by Waterfront for All (http://waterfrontforall.ca).

The Summit is happening this coming Friday evening (October 27) and Saturday through the day (October 28), at the Globe and Mail Events Centre (351 King Street East, near Berkeley).

The Summit will have a range of topics, some of which I believe will be of interest to you. In particular, the workshop on "Access: Getting to, Across and Into the Water(front)" might be of interest. We have arranged many excellent speakers and presenters; the attached PDFs outline both details on the Summit and on Waterfront for All as an organization.

If you are interested, you can register online at http://waterfrontforall.ca/waterfrontsummit. I'd appreciate very much if you could pass this information along to others you think might beinterested, as well.

We are expecting this to be an excellent event and opportunity for the various stakeholders on Toronto's waterfront to get to know each other and the things they have in common.

-- Ron Jenkins

Nope. That would take away the specialness of Scotia Plaza. I'm not against more colour, mind you.

But yes, it's a nice view. We are fortunate to have such a spectacular waterfront. We simply ought to respect it more and maximize public accessibility to it - recognize it for the wonderful resource that it is.

Back