News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 373     0 

East Bayfront: Parkside/Bayside/Dockside neighbourhoods Overview

why be condescending about him explaining what LRT means? Clarity is much appreciated. Thousands of people read this site, and many do not know what all of the acronyms thrown around mean.

Because I thought it was condescending for him to think it was necessary to explain. (e.g. 'Subway -- essentially an underground streetcar.' Doesn't that come off sounding condescending?) Apologies. But I'm also betting that of the thousands who read this site, exactly zero don't know what an LRT is.

just hoping this area gets developed sometime soon, but it definitely needs a large, deep pocketed developer (like Concord) or the City's help.

gmeo:

There are very good reasons why Concord would be a really bad fit for this site - certainly their Cityplace, though sufficent, does not inspire confidence in this regard.

As it stands right now, the EBF is going to be farmed out to several different developers.

AoD

As it stands right now, the EBF is going to be farmed out to several different developers.
AoD

glad to hear AoD... just don't know any other developer that has done master-planned communities in large-scale and with deep pockets. this will mean lots and lots of delays...

gmeo:

There are very good reasons why Concord would be a really bad fit for this site - certainly their Cityplace, though sufficent, does not inspire confidence in this regard.

AoD

Where did you get this information?

just hoping this area gets developed sometime soon, but it definitely needs a large, deep pocketed developer (like Concord) or the City's help.

That is the exact opposite of what this place needs.

Where did you get this information?

It's common knowledge. It was in one of the presentation documents I guess? I believe it's been awarded to one of several groupings of developers. There's probably info on the website. I'm actually probably thinking of the Donlands. But I know this is several parcels and bids from several different developers have been considered.

Edit: yeah \/ \/ \/

Last edited:
The bids are in the advanced stages of the evaluation process with negotiations underway with the city and lead proponents. Public announcement shouldn't be too far off into the future.

sorry to bother, but does anyone know exactly if the QQ revitalization was passed for the eastern portion? I was under the impression only the western portion was passed by council. Also, does anybody know if the QQ east LRT will connect northwards onto cherry street or will it just end at the train tracks? I think last I heard was that it would end at the train tracks and a separate route to the north of the tracks on cherry would also stop short of QQ at the tracks.

thanks in advance,

"exact opposite" meaning mulitple developers each developing their own parcel (Dockside, Bayside, Parkside and Quayside). It is better to have multiple developers vs. one developer who will build the same drab buildings all over East Bayfront. The process WaterfronToronto is following is commendable as it creates competition that will lead to better products in the end. The last thing we want is one large developer building the whole East Bayfront (and West Don Lands, Lower Don Lands and Portlands) that will build the schlock we see at Downtown Markham by Remiington, the Galleria Community by Times Group or CityPlace.

thanks marcus. would it not be more messy with multiple developers ("too many cooks in the kitchen")? just a thought.

i guess we'll never know the answer to how the ebf will turn out until thing start going...

Well yes, I suppose it would be tidier if we turned an entire area over to one corporation with a mandate to "go do stuff with it." But would you want to live in a neighbourhood like that?

UPDATE: We did, and I don't.

sorry to bother, but does anyone know exactly if the QQ revitalization was passed for the eastern portion? I was under the impression only the western portion was passed by council. Also, does anybody know if the QQ east LRT will connect northwards onto cherry street or will it just end at the train tracks? I think last I heard was that it would end at the train tracks and a separate route to the north of the tracks on cherry would also stop short of QQ at the tracks. thanks in advance,

Initially there will be the Cherry Street extension of the King streetcar going to just north of the rail berm - this is supposed to be done in 2011/12. Next is a QQ east line going from Bay to just west of Parliament, supposed to be done in 2012. When the decision is made about the Gardiner take-down and the Mouth of the Don stuff the plan is to straighten Cherry Street south of the berm and at that point fill-in the gap between the "Cherry Car" and the "QQ East car". Eventually the streetcars will go into Portlands but not for quite a while.

Back