News   Apr 24, 2024
 940     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.4K     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 615     0 

Dundas West/ Bloor Mobility Hub +interconnected hub network (Metrolinx)

So is this the short term solution or the new solution?

Because in all previous plans there has been a tunnel between the go and ttc stations under dundas.

So is this the short term solution or the new solution?

Because in all previous plans there has been a tunnel between the go and ttc stations under dundas.

They have said they are still negotiating with the new owners of the Crossways for the tunnel solution.

I don't understand the difficulty, you would think that the Crossways Ctr would want a climate-controlled direct access to the subway station. Increased pedestrian traffic between the GO or subway would bring some new life to their dismal mall (and increased retail rents) also, they could promote the connection to residential customers and increased desirability (and in turn rent).

I don't understand the difficulty, you would think that the Crossways Ctr would want a climate-controlled direct access to the subway station. Increased pedestrian traffic between the GO or subway would bring some new life to their dismal mall (and increased retail rents) also, they could promote the connection to residential customers and increased desirability (and in turn rent).

I don't get the hold-up either - it's an easy win for what traditionally has been a ghetto apartment/mall complex with a lousy reputation. What's there even to negotiate for? They should be thrilled to even have the opportunity to get direct access to a subway station. Every other condo development in the city would proudly boast such a feature.

I have always assumed that the reason must be a loss of rental space is a result of the connection. What you say above is correct....but if to make the connection they have to give up "X" s.f. of space for rent then the economics may not be as good as we think.

Like I said, I have no knowledge of this but can't think of any other reason that owners would resist this connection.

All this talk, proposals, and/or plans about SmartTrack and/or GO/RER, but nothing about how they will do a "proper" transfer between the Bloor Station for GO/SmartTrack/UPX and Line 2's Dundas West subway station through the Crossways.

the-crossways-mall.jpg

All this talk, proposals, and/or plans about SmartTrack and/or GO/RER, but nothing about how they will do a "proper" transfer between the Bloor Station for GO/SmartTrack/UPX and Line 2's Dundas West subway station through the Crossways.

I still don't get why there needs to be a connection through Crossways. The subway platform currently runs from Dundas street to the edge of the train tracks (or almost the edge?)

Why not just create the second entrance to the subway. Or are they trying to create another pedestrian tunnel? Why can't we just use the subway platform to walk from Dundas to the train station (and with Presto they can program it so its free)?

I don't see how it would cost more than the Toronto Island tunnel ($82.5M). They had to dig down twice, have a tunnel and the escalators/elevators/moving sidewalks. We just need 2 digs down to the level of the subway platforms (on either side of the subway), a bit of sideways removal for the fare gates and then some automated entrances. Expensive but not too expensive for integrating TTC with GO/UP

See

History of the Dundas West GO Connection

at this link, on Steve Munro's website.

198704controlareac.jpg

198704platformplanc.jpg

198704sectionc.jpg

198704keyplanc.jpg

And the 1990 report at this link. Nothing but talk and no action.

Here's the link to Metrolinx's Dundas West - Bloor Mobility Hub at this link. Of special interest is the 2011 study, available from this link. It's 2016, and we're still waiting.

At least, according to the report, they're are now trying not to use Crossways to get access to GO/RER/UPX and the subway, but instead they may go north on Dundas to a new development next door.

Last edited:
It slipped my mind to upload this picture here. I took it about 3 weeks ago, and it may potentially relate to this as I saw some workers removing some tiles by the east end of the station platforms on both sides.

I havent been to Dundas West since that time, but it appears as though the tiles may have been put back into place (just by passing by the station on the train).

IMG-20160602-00810.jpg

Attachments

• IMG-20160602-00810.jpg
    IMG-20160602-00810.jpg
    248.7 KB · Views: 858
It all makes sense now. We can't have the TTC-GO connection because the Crossways parking lot is being used to store all the crash-landed UFOs. I guess They had to move them there after Hillary Clinton said she was going to blow the lid off Area 51 next January.

:)

Considering there will be a new GO station at Bloor and Landsdowne, it's high time to revise the mobility hub study and re-envision just how to tie so many different modes and lines together. The current land use is largely a waste of the potential.

AoD

Considering there will be a new GO station at Bloor and Landsdowne, it's high time to revise the mobility hub study and re-envision just how to tie so many different modes and lines together. The current land use is largely a waste of the potential.

AoD

Yes but how. The distance between the two go stations is about 400 m, or just a bit longer then the length of the Union rail station platforms. How do we connect these two distant components in an appealing way? One that will make commuters WANT to make a transfer here. One that will encourage redevelopment and intensification.

If the properties between the two stations were expropriated in order to create this structure, how would that go over with the public?

Yes but how. The distance between the two go stations is about 400 m, or just a bit longer then the length of the Union rail station platforms. How do we connect these two distant components in an appealing way? One that will make commuters WANT to make a transfer here. One that will encourage redevelopment and intensification.

If the properties between the two stations were expropriated in order to create this structure, how would that go over with the public?

That's the question isn't it? It may very well be a long-term thing that requires travellators or what not - but at least have the plans in place so that you can guide development with certain expectations.

You know how I feel about expropriation and private property rights - i.e. full steam ahead.

AoD

Back