News   Apr 26, 2024
 98     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 331     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 517     0 

Dundas West/ Bloor Mobility Hub +interconnected hub network (Metrolinx)

Look under discovery 1 & 2 plus Tango in the construction and project section and you will find the photos for the area as of Feb that I shot there.

The site is north-west as well west, on the west side of Canadian Tire. They keep changing the name for these 2 areas.

I dont see the work yard or IKEA going anywhere since this is the best location for them. IKEA could allow their parking lot converted into mid-highrise for the right price.

As for doubling back, yes you are doing that if you are coming from the west side of the bridge. You have to walk all the way up to Old Leslie, east of the bridge and then walk west to the bridge to get to the walkway to the station. That about 1,000 feet going up hill.

I have used that hill in the winter and it has been a skating rink or a ski slope at times.

As for Leslie, there is knockout wall to connect to a tunnel that will connect to new development on the west side of the tracks, but no development there at this time. As for walking, it like you said, but longer for the Sheppard Ave entrance
GO looked at putting a pedestrian bridge from Oriole GO Station to the Concord development, but it was going to be way overpriced and too long to be convient. There are issues with moving the platform north due to the location of the fibre optics in the area.

^Yeah, I don't get this either. Several ideas have been turfed out - all better than the Metrolinx plan. They include building a station house on the site of the car lot north of the Crossways as well as your idea, officedweller. I don't see how blocking off a sidewalk and digging underneath the existing bridges (which would have to be replaced, or severely disrupted during construction) to get what amounts to a lousy design that has little expansion capacity, is somehow cheaper or better.

The Dundas West - Bloor Mobility Hub page from Metrolinx, at this link, shows that the study was completed back in June 2011:

Metrolinx completed the Dundas West – Bloor Mobility Hub Study in June 2011. The study developed a long-term vision for the Bloor GO Station, a future stop on the Union-Pearson Air Rail Link, the Dundas West TTC station, and the surrounding lands. It includes a plan to integrate the various transit services and improve connections to transit facilities from the adjacent neighbourhoods as well as concepts for redeveloping underused sites nearby. The study is available below.

Mobility Hub Study

Any other word from them. Like when or if there will be realigned streetcar tracks at the Dundas West station, for example? (Personally, would like to see provision for three or four sets of track platforms for a future Junction streetcar and a return of a Exhibition West streetcar, if possible.)

attachment.php

BTW, downloading the study results will take a long time with 97 pages.

Phase one is supposed to be completed by 2015 to coincide with the opening of the Air Rail Link. This includes a direct underground connection between the Dundas West TTC Station subway platforms and the Bloor Station GO and Air Rail Link rail platforms.
Phase One projects to be completed in the near future include:
• Additional transit service at Bloor station, including Air Rail Link service and potentially all-day, two-way (to Mt. Pleasant) Georgetown GO service.
• Enhanced GO Georgetown corridor Peak and midday Off-Peak train service.
• The Bloor GO Station improvements (as described in Section 4.2.2), which will be built to coincide with construction of the new Bloor Air Rail Link and GO rail platforms. This work should include City-initiated upgrades to the intersection at Bloor Street West and Perth Avenue.
• A direct underground connection between the Dundas West TTC Station subway platforms and the Bloor Station GO and Air Rail Link rail platforms.
• A PPUDO located at the southeast boundary of the 2376 Dundas Street West property, providing access to the underground connection.
• A primarily at-grade connection between the two stations is to be accommodated through a new signalized intersection at Dundas Street West and Edna Avenue, a weather-protected East/West path along the 2376 Dundas Street West property, and access from the PPUDO to the TTC subway / GO and Air Rail Link rail platforms direct underground connection.
• City-initiated streetscape improvements (e.g. street trees, landscaping, benches, public art, etc.) under the responsibility of the City and retail infill at The Crossways to improve the connection between the two modes of transit via Bloor Street West.
• Through expected investment from the private sector, the completion of properties in the Mobility Hub that are under construction or have been approved for development, including:
• 1439 Bloor Street West
• 1638-1644 Bloor Street West
• 343-351 Wallace Avenue
• 1381-1395 Bloor Street West
• 229 Wallace Avenue
• 2376 Dundas Street West is an exception, as this development is a key component of Phase Two.

Phase two is supposed to be completed within 5 to 10 years of the completion of phase two. This includes a reconfigured streetcar loop.
The focus for Phase Two is longer term redevelopment that may require property consolidation and/or public/private partnership, and will therefore be implemented over a longer period of time. Development should be completed within 5 to 10 years of the completion of Phase One, and will focus on Area 2 and 3, including:

Area 2
• Mid-rise, mixed use development to make more efficient use of the properties. The at-grade pedestrian connection provided in Phase One will be incorporated within a building to provide a permanent, purpose-built connection from Dundas Street West to the GO/Air Rail Link platforms.
• A loop road, aligning with Chelsea Avenue and Edna Avenue, to provide access to underground parking.
• All-day, two-way GO Georgetown corridor train service.

Area 3
• A 15-storey, mid-rise, mixed use landmark building at the corner of Bloor Street West and Dundas Street West, including a pedestrian plaza and weather-protected connection to Dundas West Station.
• Additional setbacks on Dundas Street West to accommodate wider sidewalks and the associated
streetscape improvements.
• A reconfigured streetcar loop, located along Edna Avenue, to allow continuous pedestrian circulation along Dundas Street West.
• A large community space (i.e. community park or garden) within the street car loop.

Phase three comes later.
Phase Three focuses on the comprehensive development of Area 4, which includes:
• New streets that link with the existing street network and provide potential new connections to Bloor Street West and Dundas Street West.
• A potential relocation of the Bishop Marrocco/Thomas Merton Catholic Secondary School playing field to allow for additional mid-rise, mixed use development on Bloor Street West.
• Streetscape improvements along Dundas Street West.
• Enhanced all-day, two-way GO Georgetown corridor train service (with higher Off-Peak frequencies).
• The built form recommendations of the Bloor-Dundas Avenue Study.

Last edited:
As it stands now, the east side tunnel is in place with the west section in by early 2014.

Dundas West Station is to be rebuilt for the new cars and no timeline as to when. It will tie in with the connection between the 2 stations.

Metrolinx
In July, we successfully installed two pedestrian tunnels at the Bloor GO Station to connect the station platforms. This month, we completed waterproofing the second pedestrian tunnel and shifted the western tracks to the east, so we can begin excavating the west side of the rail corridor without disrupting rail service. This work was completed over three weekends in July and August. Next month, we will begin excavating the underground station building, finishing shoring work and installing utility services.

As it stands now, the east side tunnel is in place with the west section in by early 2014.

Dundas West Station is to be rebuilt for the new cars and no timeline as to when. It will tie in with the connection between the 2 stations.

Metrolinx
Bloor GO Station is being built with knock-out panels for a future Dundas West TTC connection. The TTC will need to acquire some of the parking garage space of the Crossways building for a fare-paid line and elevators. There was thought from Metrolinx to do this at the same time as the work at Bloor, but the TTC said they didn't have money for it atm.

Bloor GO Station is being built with knock-out panels for a future Dundas West TTC connection. The TTC will need to acquire some of the parking garage space of the Crossways building for a fare-paid line and elevators. There was thought from Metrolinx to do this at the same time as the work at Bloor, but the TTC said they didn't have money for it atm.

They (the TTC) are up to something at Dundas West......they had a tender out.....

http://www.ttc.ca/TTC_Business/Materials_and_procurement/Ads_PP/Tender/T11PT13765.jsp

If this isn't related to a GO connection, it should be......

They (the TTC) are up to something at Dundas West......they had a tender out.....

http://www.ttc.ca/TTC_Business/Materials_and_procurement/Ads_PP/Tender/T11PT13765.jsp

If this isn't related to a GO connection, it should be......

Look above a few posting and you will see the new plan for the station and that is what the tender is for other than new developments.

Not sure how long the streetcars will be out of service here and how TTC going to load/off load buses for all the routes during the construction there.

TTC has the money for the new exit, but can't get a agreement with Crossway to do it, otherwise it would have been done years ago.

There's a new development happening just north of the Crossways, I don't see why the TTC didn't talk with the developer too use their space. Sure it might have been a less direct route, but something is better than nothing and Crossways haven't shown any interest in cooperating for quiet some time.

There still seems to be a lot of confusion regarding the connection between Dundas West and Bloor stations. There's been a twitter exchange between David Miller and the media relations manager Anne Aikens at Metrolinx (who is well worth following for her strait-speaking and candour!) about the status of the connection.

DM1.png

At first it's noted that the negotiations with Crossways are ongoing (years later):
AMA1.png

But then there's a ray of hope that there's another underground passage:
AMA2.png

Today we get the details:
AMA3.png

Now I'm confused. The east end of the Bloor GO (though I'd call it the south end, but it's more east than west) is Bloor Street. A passage connecting to Dundas Street West? Wouldn't that then go under Bloor Street? Opening in two months? Did she mean the west end of the platform? Did she mean a new exit from Dundas West station east end of the platform to the east side of Dundas Street West?

Has anyone seen the plans on this?

Edit. Clarification from Anne:
AMA4.png

So a pedestrian walkway along the north side of Crossways. An upgrade for those who live in the area, and those able to dart across a 4-lane artery. But hopefully they'll be adding a traffic light or pedestrian cross-walk at Edna, or else it's going to be fun when towing a suitcase! Or 4 suitcases and 2 children, which I do sometimes on the way to the airport.

Attachments

• AMA1.png
    AMA1.png
    36.5 KB · Views: 1,123
  • AMA2.png
    AMA2.png
    29.2 KB · Views: 1,069
  • AMA3.png
    AMA3.png
    33.5 KB · Views: 1,137
  • DM1.png
    DM1.png
    33.5 KB · Views: 1,125
  • AMA4.png
    AMA4.png
    27.1 KB · Views: 1,088
Last edited:
My understanding from community meetings on this was that there would be an entrance to Go/UPX Station on west side of tracks with tunnel to all platforms from the property north of the Crossways. This is at Dundas St W north of Bloor, does not go under Bloor. This will not be the TTC connection. There has been talk of a kiss and ride here once the new condo is built, not sure whether that is going ahead.

My understanding from community meetings on this was that there would be an entrance to Go/UPX Station on west side of tracks with tunnel to all platforms from the property north of the Crossways. This is at Dundas St W north of Bloor, does not go under Bloor. This will not be the TTC connection. There has been talk of a kiss and ride here once the new condo is built, not sure whether that is going ahead.
(not sure if you saw my edit above).

Any indication on how people will cross Dundas West? Seems like accident waiting to happen if no pedestrian crossing.

(not sure if you saw my edit above).

Any indication on how people will cross Dundas West? Seems like accident waiting to happen if no pedestrian crossing.

Probably the same way they do today, unsafely. There's a constant stream of people crossing in front of the station and traffic and police don't seem to be any deterrent. I doubt the city would put a crossing there as Bloor is extremely close.

Probably the same way they do today, unsafely. There's a constant stream of people crossing in front of the station and traffic and police don't seem to be any deterrent. I doubt the city would put a crossing there as Bloor is extremely close.
Metrolinx has since tweeted that they are working on the pedestrian crossing.

Over 100 metres. There are many lights downtown that are 100 metres from each other on arteries. Would also help streetcars turning.

I think the other reason for the new entrance to Bloor station is that in the plans for the site, Mx showed a PPUDO on the land just north of the Crossways.

I live in the area and avoid driving down Dundas West towards Bloor if I can because it must be about the most unsafe stretch of road in the City. I know at least one pedestrian was killed in the last year or so (my neighbour witnessed it). There are buses, streetcars, traffic, a bunch of cabs that park at the Crossways and do u-turns, and of course a constant stream of jaywalkers.

Back