News   May 15, 2024
 992     0 
News   May 15, 2024
 1.4K     0 
News   May 15, 2024
 907     1 

Dufferin Street: Eliminating the jog

I'm not sure they'll have completed it by then, however. Maybe August, I think.

Of course, I'm more than happy to be proven wrong in this instance. :)

Many have made quite the career from meager beginnings as a graffiti artist.

If their meager beginings were as illegal graffitists then isn't that akin to justifying street racing by saying "some have gone on to drive professionally at Mosport"? If, however, you are saying that many start as wall muralists and then move to other art...I might suggest that those beginings are not so meager!

That is exactly what I'm saying and yesI would call those beginnings meager. Most, myself included start off as young teens scraping thier money together to buy paint so they can do what they love. Some are taggers from the beginning and stay that way, others learn the craft and turn it into some beautiful.

Dufferin Job - progress pics

Here's a pic showing the wall in the progress of coming down.
IMG00019-20100206-1540%20%28Medium%29.jpg

Taggers....

My beef has always been with the taggers.

Those who throw up tags on whatever they see and contribute to the blight out there.

I have a different view of true graffiti art and the artists involved. If taggers think of themselves as artists though, then the question remains as to why all of their art looks the same. But I doubt taggers see themselves as artists in any sense.

They're just getting a thrill out of defacing public and private property.

Hopefully they repaint the bridge when construction is complete- if they don't I'd be tempted to go down there and paint it myself. I wonder if they'd charge me... or if anyone would even notice.

Hopefully they repaint the bridge when construction is complete- if they don't I'd be tempted to go down there and paint it myself. I wonder if they'd charge me... or if anyone would even notice.

Haha

I used to think the same thing about a perpetually tagged bridge I used to walk every day in London. Get a few people together one night with some yellow spray paint...do it up Pittsburgh-style!

Think of the rainbow bridge along the DVP. The city eventually got tired of repainting that every time someone repainted the rainbow, and now it's considered an icon by many parkway users.

the wall is gone

i was driving the 501 last night and i noticed looking north from queen st that i could see the street lights of north dufferin st. the wall is gone, unfortunately it was too dark for pictures.

"The suburbs called, they want their concern with having the streets sterile back."

Since when did unvandalized become synonymous with "sterile"? What is it about unadorned, uncluttered, un-soiled public spaces that disturbs childish minds like yours so much? Is your degraded sense of aesthetics and warped sense of entitlement *that* severe? How is this scene below suburban?

s0376_fl0002_it0003.jpg

How was it "sterile" in, say, 1975, or even 1985 when I don't recall vandalism like that in the area when I rode with my dad when he used to drive the Dufferin bus? Hell, or even in 2000:

streetcar-4701-01.jpg

http://transit.toronto.on.ca/images/streetcar-4701-01.jpg

Behold the suburban sterility of the above scene. I can smell the disinfectant.

Answer these questions if you can without reference to the strawmen (suburban, sterility, etc.) you've established. Otherwise, have the courage to say you condone the criminal defacement of public and private property, so then at least we know where you stand on a moral basis.

Really, the only excuse for your line of argument is if you're no older than fifteen (either chronologically or emotionally).

Oh, and would you looky here. Those dastardly suburbanites who have somehow infiltrated the Queen West BIA (map here) have set aside $20,700 for graffiti removal in their 2010 budget (p. 6). Outrageous! Damn them and their campaign of suburban sterility! Damn them and their attempt to stop the continued degradation of the public realm by overindulged children working out their suburban-reared complexes on others' property! Damn them for standing up to brain-dead Peter Pan hipster imbeciles fighting "suburban sterility" by shitting on things that aren't theirs! Damn them for standing up to criminal behaviour and thinking of the community at large! Stupid civic pride! Damn them for acting like responsible adults! Don't they know what they're doing? Don't they see the punishingly sterile wasteland they're creating? My god, first you attempt to address and mitigate criminal behaviour, and the next you'll be able to perform surgery on the Queen streetcar tracks. You won't be able to tell Queen and Dufferin from Niagara-on-the-lake! Madness! What is happening to this city? What do they think this, Toronto circa, um...1998? A slippery slope, I tell you!

Or do they just know something you don't MTown, and others like you? Which, frankly, I suspect is probably a *lot*.

Last edited:

Back