News   May 31, 2024
 349     4 
News   May 31, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   May 31, 2024
 761     0 

Dufferin Street: Eliminating the jog

I'm in no way defending "taggers" but I can smell the sh*t you're spewing through my monitor.

Oh boy. Another argument about the merits, or lack thereof, of graff.

I don't want to get in on it but I have to say that to categorise all graff artists as "juvenile, narcissistic, useless criminal vandals" is more than a bit of a crock.

I think some of the "art" they do can be rather pretty. It's something that takes time and dedication like any other art, so I respect it for that. But at the same time, they're doing it on a canvas that isn't their own. If it was done at the behest of the owner or the city, then it'd be different (although that might take some of the creativitiy out of it because the city would want something representative of the "community" which will probably mean something lame).

I think some of the "art" they do can be rather pretty. It's something that takes time and dedication like any other art, so I respect it for that. But at the same time, they're doing it on a canvas that isn't their own. If it was done at the behest of the owner or the city, then it'd be different (although that might take some of the creativitiy out of it because the city would want something representative of the "community" which will probably mean something lame).

Well said and I agree. The vast majority of the well done pieces that actually take time are in fact legal murals, with the permission of the owner of the property. People seem to have some sort of bias based on the medium.

The vast majority of the well done pieces that actually take time are in fact legal murals, with the permission of the owner of the property. People seem to have some sort of bias based on the medium.
People have a bias, because the vast majority of the pieces, are not well done, and don't have the permission of the owner of the property. A work of art is one thing; the same persons initials or tag all over the neighbourhood is nothing but vandalism.

again nobody would defend simple tags on a bridge over pass as anything but. When you see huge murals, that take time and effort, like at the Midas building at Keele/dundas they are in fact legal.

again nobody would defend simple tags on a bridge over pass as anything but. When you see huge murals, that take time and effort, like at the Midas building at Keele/dundas they are in fact legal.
Legal or not ... those are art!

But when people start talking about graffiti - that's generally not what they are talking about.

and again thats the problem when people make sweeping generalizations, to call all graff artists "juvenile, narcissistic, useless criminal vandals" is to illustrate ones complete ignorance. Many have made quite the career from meager beginnings as a graffiti artist.

and again thats the problem when people make sweeping generalizations, to call all graff artists "juvenile, narcissistic, useless criminal vandals" is to illustrate ones complete ignorance. Many have made quite the career from meager beginnings as a graffiti artist.
The answer's simple. Don't call peole who are actually doing art graffiti artists. If these artists choose to link themselves to vandals, then really they only have themselves to blame.

Each and everyone of them, myself included, would refer to themselves as a graffiti artist, the style/movement is graffiti.

Each and everyone of them, myself included, would refer to themselves as a graffiti artist, the style/movement is graffiti.
Well they are fools then ... the public as a whole considers graffiti to be tags and other destruction by vandals who deserve to be imprisoned.

To willingly associate oneself with such low-life criminals will only result in rejection by society. I can only assume that such artists are looking for rejection then.

Your a tool.
For recognizing that there is a difference between art and vandalism? You said you weren't defending tagging ... yet you want to associate it with real art by taking the name of the damage done by these criminals - which we call graffiti ... and then attaching the name to artist, to refer to proper art (murals, etc. by street artists), rather than tagging.

so anyway when is the construction on this project to be completed?
June 2010 according to a recent article in the Daily Commercial News. I"m sure the vandals will be tagging it before then though.

Back