1.3K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 387     0 

Dufferin Street: Eliminating the jog

From the Daily Commercial News, first mention I've seen of a completion date:
Work continues on Dufferin Street underpass project in Toronto

Construction continues on the Dufferin Street Jog Elimination CN/GO Transit Underpass project at Dufferin and Queen Streets in Toronto. Dufferin Construction Ltd./Holcim Canada have completion of the project scheduled for June 2010.

The project, designed by Delcan, includes a new transit railway with storm sewer, a new roadway and electrical work. McCormick Rankin Corp. is in charge of contract management and the owner is the City of Toronto.

Subcontractors include: Core Excavation; HC Matcon (shoring/caissons); Harris Rebar; Dufferin Construction/Holcim Canada (formwork/concrete); Munro (precast); Central Welding/ Ganawa Bridge Services (structural steel); AGI Traffic Technology Inc. (electrical); Bridge Tite (waterproofing); and Gazzola Paving.

You are not going to see much this month.

They are drilling the holes to support the columns and the support bearing beam for the bridges at this time.

They have the form work in place on the south end and should pour concrete next week. Back filling will take place after the form is strip.

Once the new support beam is built, the road has to be next before the retailing walls can be built. Retaining wall will be some time in April subject to weather.

Since the walls are shorter than phase I, will not take that long to build.

Cannot post photo's due to this ""Upload failed due to failure writing temporary file.""

It's very smart of the city to do this project now when there's more room to work with. It will be much more difficult after all the additional trains are added to the Weston Sub.

No. This project was going to happen regardless of the Georgetown project. I'm not even sure if it has been designed to accommodate the 8 tracks called for in the Georgetown EA (it looks like it has been designed for 7).

It was design for 6 tracks plus the rail-bike path before Metrolinx call for 8 tracks.

Since there is no firm plan in place at the design and contracting time, the city went with the original plan 6 track bridge and leaving it up to Metrolinx cover the cost and building the extra 2 tracks section on the north/east side. There is room on the north/east side to add the 2 tracks and a reduce rail-bike path.

Yeah, I can't imagine it would be that difficult to put in some switches on either side of the bridges. Are there really likely to be more than six trains crossing Queen at a time?

It's a lot more complicated than that. A bottleneck where the number of tracks shrinks, even briefly, results in dramatically reduced capacity on the entire line.

That said, I think that we should be considering investing in some better signalling systems. Paris gets trains through on the two-track RER every 90 seconds.

It's a lot more complicated than that. A bottleneck where the number of tracks shrinks, even briefly, results in dramatically reduced capacity on the entire line.

That said, I think that we should be considering investing in some better signalling systems. Paris gets trains through on the two-track RER every 90 seconds.

The problem was, that until very recently, this was a CN-owned track. North American signalling systems really stink because of the need for excessively long signal blocks to accommodate the typical 100+ car freight trains. I've been on passenger rail in Britain and China, the trains aren't nearly as long there as they are here, that really helps in improving efficiency in track capacity

I can't see track signalling improved until at least the West Toronto Diamond is completed enough that the grade separation is open for Phase I (two of the four planned tracks under CP). Though I wonder if Transport Canada (which seems to always defer to American FRA standards) will allow for shorter signal blocks.

Even so, I can't see more than 6 tracks necessary between the Milton, Georgetown/ARL and Barrie lines necessary. Milton will probably use their own two tracks like they do now (which ought to be more than enough for the traffic on that line, even a train every 10 minutes could run on two tracks if they are exclusive to GO). But I just don't see Barrie/Bradford having the same needs as Georgetown+ARL+VIA, so 6 ought to be more than enough for everybody.

Last edited:
Don't know what happen for this pile driving and very sloooooooooooooooooooow
[video=youtube;nSD1mVpTxUM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSD1mVpTxUM[/video]

Last edited:
4446152304_d0ee318d8f.jpg

View from North

4446156292_9b85fe0c2f.jpg

View from West

4445389789_dd8b954f87.jpg

View from South

Back