News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 381     0 

Dufferin Street: Eliminating the jog

Could be another new bridge is going to be place.

Yes those bridges need a need paint job and lets hope it happens.

They are moving the green bridges to the west. They have the far west one up on jacks at this time on the north side.

It is possible they are going to cut the bearing plates off the supports and bring the bridges as close or touching each other and then weld the supports to a new bearing plate to support 2 bridges in place of one.

They are back filling on the east side as trucks were coming and going dumping their loads there.

No clearing south of the bridges for the relocation of the existing 3 tracks. The area is stake out for that now.

Attachments

• perspective.jpg
    perspective.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 233
I didn't know where else to put this, so considering we're also discussing the transformation of Gladstone Avenue from Queen to Peel Ave.:

The Price Chopper is in negotiations to be sold to a developer. I can't say who yet because it hasn't gone through but expect to see a 5 to 8 story condo development go there with a Sobey's (parent company of Price Chopper) at street level.

This intersection is going to be a very different looking place in 5-10 years.

the stretch of dufferin south of bloor will also will also probably undergo some transformation.

That makes sense. Dufferin south of Bloor is essentially a dead end road and the buildings leading up to that "dead end" reflect that.

Once the jog is removed, Dufferin from Bloor becomes a street leading directly to Queen West, Liberty Village and the Ex grounds.

The elimination of the Dufferin jog will be known as Adam Giambrone's most important project as a councillor, one that somehow was stuck in the mud for 40 years and Giambrone managed to get going. It will change his entire ward and those surrounding it.

There was a community charette on Wednesday night at the Gladstone hosted by York U and Active 18. York U grad students in the planning program are working on a plan for the area (basically bordered by the railway, Florence, Dufferin down to Peel, down Gladstone and it includes the Price Chopper lands).

So York U students are coming up with a new plan and are submitting it to Active 18 who will then pass it along to the city as the city does not have a current plan for this area.

I think we had around 60 people there for the charette (including the 20 york u students in the class). So it was a decent turnout. It's a really difficult area though with it being designated as light industrial employment lands (which the city does not want to give up) and a number of century old one storey industrial buildings that house artist workshops and whatnot.

While biking down home, I noticed that Dufferin north of Steeles has some new construction signs announcing separate bike and transit lanes, but I didn't get a good look because it was dark. Does anyone have more information on this, or pics?

The RailPath is being discussed to be included in this project which will bring it closer to reaching Liberty Village and from there, Union Station. I think that for practical purposes, completing the RailPath is more important than a bike lane up Dufferin.

The RailPath is being discussed to be included in this project which will bring it closer to reaching Liberty Village and from there, Union Station. I think that for practical purposes, completing the RailPath is more important than a bike lane up Dufferin.

What is the status of the railpath extension? I thought it was stalled at obtaining the ROW from the railway. But that could be seriously out of date.

I love the railpath by the way, despite its current stubbiness. (But I don't think there was ever a real plan to take it to Union, just to Strachan Ave.)

I read in a city document as recently as last month that it is approved and ready to go once the Dufferin Jog project is completed and money is made available.

The only reason it had to stop where it did was because the Dufferin/Queen intersection reconfiguration was a prerequisite.

I'm fairly certain that once this project is finished, the RailPath supporters (citizens and councillors) will get back to work on it.

Back