News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.3K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 383     0 

Dufferin Street: Eliminating the jog

I read in a city document as recently as last month that it is approved and ready to go once the Dufferin Jog project is completed and money is made available.

Thanks. Your comment makes me remember that Metrolinx and the Union Pearson Link is another new obstacle. But I see an article this week in the Town Crier makes it sound like Metrolinx is being encouraging, if a bit vague, about "bike lanes" in the corridor south of Dundas. I posted the article in the Railpath thread.

Re: West Toronto Railpath eastward extension (aka "phase 2")

Georgetown South Service Expansion and Union-Pearson Rail Link
October 29, 2009 ·

On October 5, 2009, Metrolinx received approval (with conditions announced by Minister of the Environment John Gerretsen) for the Environmental Assessment conducted for the Georgetown South Service Expansion and Union-Pearson Rail Link project.

Find out more about the Metrolinx initiative, and how it relates to West Toronto Railpath Phase 2. http://www.metrolinx.com/Docs/News/Backgrounder_Oct_5-Final.pdf

Last edited:

sounds like a marriage video of queen & dufferin. ;)

looks like there's been alot of progress. drum, do you know what they will be doing with the old stone which will be removed from the wall they have to punch through on queen street?

Did the bridge get altered to handle 8 track as per the Georgetown corridor study or did it remain with space for 7 tracks as was the plan prior to the corridor study taking place?

110.jpg

Work continues on Dufferin Street railway underpass in Toronto

"New transit railway with storm sewer"? They mean the GO lines above, right?

i think storm sewer (line) is correct. you need one when you build a new section of road if you want to have sewers to collect water.

i think storm sewer (line) is correct. you need one when you build a new section of road if you want to have sewers to collect water.
Well, I was actually wondering about the "new transit railway" part. I'm thinking of that picture with what looked like streetcar trackbeds in the new tunnel.

Well, I was actually wondering about the "new transit railway" part. I'm thinking of that picture with what looked like streetcar trackbeds in the new tunnel.

Tracks bed provision are next to the centre support.

I'm assuming that the beds will be fill in with asphalt until TTC decides when and where the tracks will run to in the north. TTC dose not have any funds for this extension under their 10 year budget at this time.

They could up to Dundas and College now. Beyond that, who knows?

Dufferin Streetcar to Bloor station

Tracks bed provision are next to the centre support.

I'm assuming that the beds will be fill in with asphalt until TTC decides when and where the tracks will run to in the north. TTC dose not have any funds for this extension under their 10 year budget at this time.

They could up to Dundas and College now. Beyond that, who knows?

This is just me totally daydreaming but I've come up with a cost effective proposal that would see the TTC build a much needed (and sure to be popular) streetcar line up Dufferin connecting it to the Bloor/Danforth line with an underground station at Dufferin Mall and one next to the Dufferin station.

The line would resume on Dufferin from it's current tracetory already in place south of Queen. Continuing north under the new tunnel, the streetcar would ride up Dufferin past Dundas and College.

The problem has always been getting to Dufferin. How do you create a streetcar loop in that intersection without expropriating buildings? You could go underground just before Bloor but there would need to be entrance and exit tunnels.

I propose that the streetcar enter a tunnel off to the side at Dufferin Grove Park, descending to below the depth of the Bloor subway line, and then realigning with Dufferin -- now underground.

dufferinstreetcar.png

The northbound streetcar would loop underground around under the tennis courts currently at the SW corner. A streetcar platform would be built and a pedestrian tunnel and short escalator ride would link to the Dufferin station mezzanine.

screenshot20091213at821.png

The streetcar would head South again, emerging from a tunnel adjacent to the Dufferin Mall parking lot.

screenshot20091213at821.png

The whole process could be done "cut-and-cover" on Dufferin, closing 2 centre lanes during construction in the short one block stretch from the end of Dufferin Park ave. to Bloor.

In the future, it could be extended underground past Bloor to the new Eglinton line, replacing the most popular bus route with a more efficient LRT.

I like it, biut why can't you just keep the streetcar right of way in the median? Dufferin Street can be widened from Sylvan to Dufferin Park Ave to give the streetcar its own right of way and allow it to descend under Dufferin. By doing this, you would avoid having streetcar tracks weave across regular traffic lanes.

The Dufferin Bus is very much crowded north of Bloor to warrant better service, would be ideal to have the equivalent of the Eglinton LRT setup with underground sections extending all the way to Eglinton West Station.

Back