News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.3K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 383     0 

Dufferin Street: Eliminating the jog

Sept 16

You can see the steel framing that will be support the existing bridges while the wall is knock down until the new supports are built. The north side will see the same thing.

I'm at a lost why concrete columns are been pour in the new underpass. They could be for the centre section to go under the existing bridges or support the forming for the roof.

They are back filling the east side with the centre section strip.

There is no rendering of the underpass on line and I have not seen one. You can go to the contractor shed and ask to see one, but don't hold your breath on it.

IMG_sept-16-09-0097.jpg

IMG_sept-16-09-0098.jpg

IMG_sept-16-09-0099.jpg

IMG_sept-16-09-0100.jpg

IMG_sept-16-09-0112.jpg

IMG_sept-16-09-0113.jpg

IMG_sept-16-09-0114.jpg

IMG_sept-16-09-0115.jpg

IMG_sept-16-09-0116.jpg

There is no rendering of the underpass on line and I have not seen one. You can go to the contractor shed and ask to see one, but don't hold your breath on it.

Thanks for the pics of the progress Drum. There are renderings of the underpass available.

Here they are:

screenshot20090921at203.png

screenshot20090921at203d.png

screenshot20090921at203w.png

And I take it the Dufferin Bus will go straight down Dufferin instead of Gladstone now.

And yea that ancient iron railing would definitely look out of place.

I wonder if they plan on lowering the road surface. If they keep the road level the same and the support arching over Dufferin is that much lower than the existing bridge over Queen that will be a fairly low clearance height. In the rendering it looks like the streetcar would make contact with the support on Dufferin.

I agree about the girders that will support the bridges if an LRT goes north on Dufferin St.

Yes the buses will stay on Dufferin as it will cut the running time for the 29 as well providing better operation.

The bridges are staying as they are needed and I expect they will get a cleaning and paint job. Sure hope so.

As for the handrail, it part of history and needs to stay with a cleaning and paint job. Since The Public will not be in this area at all, no reason to tear it out since there is a fence below it now.

Since Mextrolinx wants 8 tracks in this area, it going to be hard to put in the Rail-Path as shown and we will have to wait and see what going to happen for the Rail-Path. At the same time, people want a station here.

As for lowering the current intersection will bring all kinds of problems into play especially for TTC tracks and switches. You need to trim the grade to the west as that is where TTC would have a real problem for geometry of curve and one reason there is no switches going west off Dufferin now.

Nice to see CN Locomotive on the bridge.

I like the stone retaining wall.

that trackbed they created for future dufferin streetcar tracks better be at the right elevation.

Keele should be re-connected too, as well as Weston/Old Weston road. That whole area is a mess. Other road connections I'd like to see: Sheppard extended west to link up with Rexdale Blvd at the Woodbine Centre, Wilson westward to meet Rexdale Blvd at Islington, Ossington south into Liberty Village, and Front street to Dufferin. A crazy one would be pushing St. Clair west to link with Rathburn...

In the spirit of the photo of the day, here are some jogs we could fix up...

Queen Street

Royal York Road

Christie Street

Old Mill Road

does anybody know what they will be doing with the stone they're removing from the wall along queen where dufferin will poke through?

Reusing it to line Dufferin?

it looks like the retaining walls along dufferin are made from a different type of stone in those renderings.

it looks like the retaining walls along dufferin are made from a different type of stone in those renderings.

A couple years ago when they built Joe Suster Way on the north/east side of Dufferin and Queen, they dumped the same old stone and retrofited it with a similar reproduction stone. My guess is they will do the same and just blow through this wall and dump this stone into landfill, Its to bad, in Europe you would have one or two guys taking down each stone one by one on to a steel skid for future use.:)

Back