News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.6K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 448     0 

Downtown Yonge

Show me please at least one major city in the whole world , where the main street in Downtown area so domitated by 1-2 storey structures ( their delapidated state is the different issue ) , which is totally out of scale of everything , what can be accepted for self respected city...

I'm assuming you meant "other than Toronto," in which case, I can't think of any. Kind of sad, but with backwards councillors and NIMBYs all over the place, we'll have to deal with the "crappiest main street in a city larger than 1m" title for a long time.

Presumably your referring to Yonge Street, there are numerous three and three+ storey buildings too.

Is this a joke? By "1 storey," it is obvious that renvel was referring to low rise buildings in general. Is 3 storey supposed to represent some huge leap? 1 or 3 storey, it's a row of crappy townhouses with huge signs taken from the local junkyard thrown in front.

Last edited:
There's a big difference between a one storey building and a three storey building. Toronto has few one storey buildings along downtown Yonge Street. A row of three storey buildings can appear very urban.

I'm assuming you meant "other than Toronto," in which case, I can't think of any. Kind of sad, but with backwards councillors and NIMBYs all over the place, we'll have to deal with the "crappiest main street in a city larger than 1m" title for a long time.

Google NIMBY so that you know what it means.
They aren't backwards, they are forward thinking Councillors and residents who care about the pedestrian experience, heritage and built form - and so does the City, it's no accident that a major study has finally been released on this important corridor. You clearly have no concept of any of this so enjoy looking way up at that street killing eyesore known as Aura.

Is this a joke? By "1 storey," it is obvious that renvel was referring to low rise buildings in general. Is 3 storey supposed to represent some huge leap? 1 or 3 storey, it's a row of crappy townhouses with huge signs taken from the local junkyard thrown in front.

Stick to the Eaton Centre, you'll be much happier there with all it's pretty corporate signs and shiny floors.

Show me please at least one major city in the whole world , where the main street in Downtown area so domitated by 1-2 storey structures ( their delapidated state is the different issue ) , which is totally out of scale of everything , what can be accepted for self respected city...

Those 2-3 story buildings along Yonge Street surrounded by skyscrapers set back from the street are what makes Toronto Toronto. You lose those and you lose part of the city's charm and soul, for better or worse. The fact that we have developed his way should be celebrated and preserved, regardless of what other cities are doing. I think this is self respect.

Copenhagen Denmark. It has a metro population almost 2 million but only three offical skyscrapers.

Last edited:
Yonge & Bloor

There's a big difference between a one storey building and a three storey building. Toronto has few one storey buildings along downtown Yonge Street. A row of three storey buildings can appear very urban.

I would be glad to see 3-4 storey well kept houses alond Yonge Stree. Too bad , there are quite a few haphazardly built 1 storey structures , presumembly intended as only temporarly solution to fill up some gaps , created by previous demolitions , but left forgotten in their sorrow state...

Copenhagen Denmark. It has a metro population almost 2 million but only three offical skyscrapers.

Yeah, but Copenhagen isn't a c21 "World City" like Singapore, if you get my drift, tee hee...

Then again, from past evidence, DtTO, your aesthetic values are probably reflected in this thread.

wait, so this is worth preserving?

jpmqrDz.jpg

Don't judge the Le Chateau. I work at that location mister.

But yes indeed, it's a waste of space. :p

So let's tear down a cool block because of a couple of lame buildings in the mix. Five St. Joseph should be the model here. Save the Yonge street front and build behind.

Los Angeles.

Back