787     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 709     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 303     0 

Downtown Rapid Transit Expansion Study

Optimal solution should be...

• Total voters
i dont see how that particular line could be used as a \drl. It seems the richmond hill line would have been a better choice.

Upgrading the Stouffville GO line to effectively function as a metro is a worthy initiative and one that should happen on most of the GO lines. But it should happen as part of a co-ordinated region-wide plan with Metrolinx at the helm, and it wouldn't eliminate the need for a DRL. The DRL as planned by Metrolinx serves a different, more local market than the regional rail system. It's good that Council is finally talking about the DRL though.

Upgrading the Stouffville GO line to effectively function as a metro is a worthy initiative and one that should happen on most of the GO lines. But it should happen as part of a co-ordinated region-wide plan with Metrolinx at the helm, and it wouldn't eliminate the need for a DRL. The DRL as planned by Metrolinx serves a different, more local market than the regional rail system. It's good that Council is finally talking about the DRL though.

Stouffville or Richomond Hill connected to the ARL will take a lot of pressure off the Yonge Line.

i dont see how that particular line could be used as a \drl. It seems the richmond hill line would have been a better choice.

Really? ~20,000 to 30,000 trips currently transferring between the SRT and subway at Kennedy would most likely start using a GO REX at Kennedy assumming fare integration with TTC (free transfer). That's a 10% to 20% reduction in people at Bloor-Yonge station.

That number increases, possibly doubles, when SRT capacity is boosted.

Shouldn't cost more than $100M for 5 minute frequencies in that segment either which makes it cheaper than the Bloor-Yonge expansion plan. For $500M you can boost capacity at Union, rebuild Kennedy GO/SRT/Subway interchange station to make the transfer very easy, and provide 30 years operating subsidies for the GO REX line to ensure free transfers.

It's a better use of $500M than expanding platforms at Bloor-Yonge again.

Last edited:
For $500M you can boost capacity at Union, rebuild Kennedy GO/SRT/Subway interchange station to make the transfer very easy, and provide 30 years operating subsidies for the GO REX line to ensure free transfers.

+1. And it's worth noting again that spending money to reduce people's transit fares makes a hell of a lot more sense than spending money to dig holes in the ground.

The Stouffville Local service could make a quick detour to STC and back on track again. You could also toss out the SRT while they're at it.

The Richmond Hill line has its own issues; it has many bends in the Don Valley and that limits the speed.

The Stouffville line can be quite useful for Scarberians traveling to downtown, if the headways can be improved to every 15 min or better, both ways. The line is pretty fast already; Agincourt to Union is about 23 min, Kennedy Stn to Union is 17 min.

The Stouffville Local service could make a quick detour to STC and back on track again. You could also toss out the SRT while they're at it.

Not sure how the trains could reach STC, make a near-180 degrees turn, and head back to the mainline.

Maybe a branch of Stouffville line to STC (replacing SRT) is feasible? I don't know whether two mainline tracks can fit in the SRT corridors, and the mainline requirements can be met there ...

It would reduce the need for the long-haul function of the DRL, allowing it to serve a more local function. This could mean underground LRT under Queen St, connected with the Don Mills LRT.

The Richmond Hill line has its own issues; it has many bends in the Don Valley and that limits the speed.

The Stouffville line can be quite useful for Scarberians traveling to downtown, if the headways can be improved to every 15 min or better, both ways. The line is pretty fast already; Agincourt to Union is about 23 min, Kennedy Stn to Union is 17 min.

I've been an advocate of rerouting the Richmond Hill GO line to go around the west side of the Don Mills neighbourhood, instead of the east side like it does now. Run it along the North Toronto sub for a couple kms, and then have it branch north at Leslie, going around Don Mills and connecting to the existing line just south of York Mills.

Last edited:
I've been an advocate of rerouting the Richmond Hill GO line to go around the west side of the Don Mills neighbourhood, instead of the east side like it does now. Run it along the North Toronto sub for a couple kms, and then have it branch north at Leslie, going around Don Mills and connecting to the existing line just south of York Mills.
If anything, this idea would be amazing just to see the sparks fly as Metrolinx talks about converting what has since become a bike path that is backed by dozens of single family homes into a rapid transit corridor for bi-level GO trains going all day.

The idea makes complete sense, but will not happen until there is a massive change in government policy.

If anything, this idea would be amazing just to see the sparks fly as Metrolinx talks about converting what has since become a bike path that is backed by dozens of single family homes into a rapid transit corridor for bi-level GO trains going all day.

The idea makes complete sense, but will not happen until there is a massive change in government policy.

At least Metrolinx can learn from what happened in Weston, haha. Maybe add in a station at Lawrence just to appease the neighbourhood. I know that I wouldn't mind being within walking distance of a stop that's a 10 minute express ride away from downtown.

Stouffville or Richomond Hill connected to the ARL will take a lot of pressure off the Yonge Line.
It would relieve some pressure yes, but that doesn't take away the need for an east-west subway line through the heart of downtown.

It would reduce the need for the long-haul function of the DRL, allowing it to serve a more local function. This could mean underground LRT under Queen St, connected with the Don Mills LRT.
Agreed, and that was my point actually. Frequent regional trains wouldn't address the need for local rapid transit downtown, nor would it fully relieve the Yonge line. Metrolinx has its "Downtown Core Line" along Queen along with upgraded regional/express rail for that reason. My only disagreement with you is that LRT wouldn't cut it, it would have to be subway. According to ridership forcasts it would be the second busiest subway line in the city.

Short range subway lines could do it, hitting the more densely packed areas like a line that hits U of T, Chinatown, Dundas Square, Ryerson, Cabbagetown, St. Jamestown, Cosbourne, etc. And have this line connect with the Richmond Hill route so GO riders can get off at this line instead of all of them going to Union.

Back