821     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 743     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 314     0 

Downtown Rapid Transit Expansion Study

Optimal solution should be...

• Total voters
just a question but why not add more streetcar lines downtown. adelaide, richmond, front? on richmond and adelaide, couldnt they make it a side of the road row because they are one way streets????

Unfortunately this would be extremely politically unpalatable. A full DRL would likely be somewhere around $10 billion. A sticker shock like that would send the NeoCons in the City into a frenzy. It can still be phased but be continuous construction, it doesn't have to open all at the same time.

Here we go again. You're trying to kill two birds with one stone, but the problem is these two birds are nowhere near each other.

The reality is downtown needs BOTH an LRT under Queen and a DRL going into the Financial District. The two sets of needs are incompatible, and trying to jerry-rig them into a single line is like trying to fit a square peg in a round hole.

The DRL is to relieve Bloor-Yonge, and to transport people to the Financial District, which is centred around Bay and King. Union is moderately closer to that intersection than Queen is.

Any rapid transit under Queen should have the primary motive of serving Queen, and the neighbourhoods along it. This requires more local stop spacing. It's intended to be more of a neighbourhood line as opposed to a commuter line (much like how the St. Clair Streetcar is a neighbourhood line).

Two completely different sets of needs, two completely different rationales. They should be kept separate, and not attempted to be melded together.
They are being kept separate. Union will be well served by the GO lines, especially after they're electrified and fares are integrated. Building a subway line along the same corridor would be pointless duplication and a waste of money. But even the best GO service won't fully relieve Bloor-Yonge (the transfer at Main St is problematic and too far east) or provide rapid transit to the parts of downtown that are currently stuck with hopelessly unreliable streetcars.

That's what a Queen (or King) subway line would do. A line along one of those streets, veering north to Pape, would do the best job at relieving Union and bringing rapid transit to the part of the city that needs it most. It would serve the Financial district just fine, even if it follows Queen. The northern part of the district, buildings like Scotia Plaza and the Bay-Adelaide Centre, are closer to Queen than they are to Union. And don't forget that there's a lot of employment north of Queen too - yet another line to Union wouldn't do those buildings much good.

Just to clarify, I wasn't suggesting that the DRL was going to get lower ridership than Sheppard - just that it will be underutilized, similar to how many people criticise Sheppard for being a white elephant. On balance, a Pape/Downtown only DRL will be underutilized, while Yonge will still remain hopelessly overcrowded (as it always will). The DRL on the Metrolinx plan isn't going to divert as many riders as it thinks unless it is through-routed with the existing BD, or extends well north of BD. The Western DRL to Dundas West would perform better, as there's a much larger savings there compared to Pape.

Just adding my 2 cents on the pages and pages of debate on alignment, but Queen is probably the worst candidate for a DRL - it's the least busy of all the downtown stations (both Queen & Osgoode), and doesn't connect either Ryerson or the Financial District well, without a long walk. What's wrong with routing more stuff through Union along Front?? - It's clearly a transit hub, permitting great TTC/GO/VIA/ARL connections, and recent development downtown suggests that the centre of gravity of all the towers is moving closer to Union, as opposed to King & Bay.

Streetcars would still work well on King/Queen/Dundas, as long as we have the political will to separate them from car traffic on dedicated lanes.
The experts say otherwise. As nfitz showed, Metrolinx estimates that even the DRL going from Bloor to Downtown to Bloor would be an instant success and the busiest subway line per kilometre in the city. No doubt it would bring in major profits. And Pape to downtown would likely be the busier half of that line. It makes sense - it would go through some of the densest parts of the city, with the slowest transit. This is exactly where subway lines should be built and are the most successful.

The DRL is to relieve Bloor-Yonge, and to transport people to the Financial District, which is centred around Bay and King. Union is moderately closer to that intersection than Queen is.

Any rapid transit under Queen should have the primary motive of serving Queen, and the neighbourhoods along it. This requires more local stop spacing. It's intended to be more of a neighbourhood line as opposed to a commuter line (much like how the St. Clair Streetcar is a neighbourhood line).

Two completely different sets of needs, two completely different rationales. They should be kept separate, and not attempted to be melded together.

What you said makes sense, but the different purpose of Queen line and DRL don't necessarily conflict.

1) Front is hardly any closer to King than Queen. plus, many people work north of Queen as well. Queen is a better balance

2) your said issue can be resolved by having longer spacing outside downtown, and have 500-800meter spacing on Downtown Queen. Instead of stopping at each stop all the time, the DRL can easily stop only at major intersections during peak hours skipping smaller stations but at all stops off-peak. NYC subways do it all the time.

It would be nice to have one on Front and Queen each, but ...

The pedestrian traffic around Union is already a disaster in rush-hour. It will only get worse with Union Station capacity supposed to increase. There's no need to dump more pedestrians down there, much further south than many go. Dundas station seems almost busier than King in rush-hour ... and busier than Union. A DRL should intersect either King/St. Andrew or Queen/Osgood stations. Whether it accomplishes this by going down Wellington or Richmond is up for debate ... but the last place it should go is down Front.

They are being kept separate. Union will be well served by the GO lines, especially after they're electrified and fares are integrated. Building a subway line along the same corridor would be pointless duplication and a waste of money. But even the best GO service won't fully relieve Bloor-Yonge (the transfer at Main St is problematic and too far east) or provide rapid transit to the parts of downtown that are currently stuck with hopelessly unreliable streetcars.

For the DRL West, I agree, GO does serve that market very well. But for the east, I'm not so sure. It doesn't connect to B-D until Main St, which is too far east to be useful for a lot of people.

As for the duplication, I don't think that a subway line that follows a rail line for only a stretch is necessarily a duplication of service, especially when there aren't any stops planned for the areas along the rail line. Is the rail corridor of any benefit to the St. Lawrence area? Will it ever be? Probably not, as they're not going to build a GO station that close to Union. A DRL station though, it's probably about the right stop spacing between there and the CBD.

If you really don't want duplication, the other option is to build the DRL along the rail corridor until Parliament, and then run it up Parliament to Castle Frank. The area around Parliament is more likely to be densified than Queen is anyway.

That's what a Queen (or King) subway line would do. A line along one of those streets, veering north to Pape, would do the best job at relieving Union and bringing rapid transit to the part of the city that needs it most. It would serve the Financial district just fine, even if it follows Queen. The northern part of the district, buildings like Scotia Plaza and the Bay-Adelaide Centre, are closer to Queen than they are to Union. And don't forget that there's a lot of employment north of Queen too - yet another line to Union wouldn't do those buildings much good.

I don't think that Queen St needs a full subway, especially if the DRL is built further south. I'll say it again, Queen St is a local street that needs local stop spacing in order to be effective. This leads me to believe that something like what is being built on Eglinton is more suitable for Queen. Even in the late 1940s plan, Yonge had a subway and Queen had a streetcar subway.

I see the Queen LRT subway running from around Broadview to Roncesvalles, where it would then go surface as the Queensway LRT. A branch of it would head south along Lakeshore, and another branch would continue west along the Queensway to Sherway. That's the function I see the Queen LRT performing, not as a relief line, but as a line serving the neighbourhoods around Queen St.

The pedestrian traffic around Union is already a disaster in rush-hour. It will only get worse with Union Station capacity supposed to increase. There's no need to dump more pedestrians down there, much further south than many go. Dundas station seems almost busier than King in rush-hour ... and busier than Union. A DRL should intersect either King/St. Andrew or Queen/Osgood stations. Whether it accomplishes this by going down Wellington or Richmond is up for debate ... but the last place it should go is down Front.

I agree, which is why I'm on record on here several times saying that I prefer a Wellington alignment, as it would offer 3 transfer points and split up the pedestrian traffic exiting from the line.

What you said makes sense, but the different purpose of Queen line and DRL don't necessarily conflict.

1) Front is hardly any closer to King than Queen. plus, many people work north of Queen as well. Queen is a better balance.

It's 1 block closer. And I prefer a Wellington alignment for the DRL, which could conceivably have exits onto King proper.

2) your said issue can be resolved by having longer spacing outside downtown, and have 500-800meter spacing on Downtown Queen. Instead of stopping at each stop all the time, the DRL can easily stop only at major intersections during peak hours skipping smaller stations but at all stops off-peak. NYC subways do it all the time.

The problem is that all of Queen is like downtown Queen. The entire street needs local stop spacing, because the street was designed as a streetcar street. Spacing like on Bloor is what is needed. Anything larger would be detrimental to the street life.

And having trains only stop at certain stations would require 4 tracking, something that would be very expensive. If you wanted to combine them and do 4 track LRT, that may be something to consider, but a 4 track subway would be overkill.

It would be nice to have one on Front and Queen each, but ...

Given the projected increase in density and population in the downtown area, it may not be as outlandish as you think. As I put before in the Union X plan that I posted a couple pages ago, a Yonge line serving the western waterfront and a Queen LRT serving the increased density between Queen and the rail corridor could be viable given the right increase in density.

Queen just doesn't make sense for the DRL. It's well north of existing development at King and Bay, has poor PATH connections, and is completely useless to the vast new developments going on south of Union. East and west of downtown, it's even worse. Subway stations are ideal locations for major new development an intensification--the kind of thing that's happening all along Front and the rail corridor. Re-development and intensification is exactly what we don't want in the stable and unique neighbourhoods along Queen.

Wellington is a reasonable solution, though it would be more costly and arguably do a poorer job of serving the East Bayfront than running the line along the rail corridor east of Yonge.

Sorry if this has been brought up already (haven't read the whole thread), but how good of a job would adding stops along the Lakeshore East line (especially after electrification) do for relieving Yonge and Danforth and serving the Eastside? You could have stops at Parliament, Queen E, Gerrard E or Coxwell.

Queen just doesn't make sense for the DRL. It's well north of existing development at King and Bay, has poor PATH connections, and is completely useless to the vast new developments going on south of Union. East and west of downtown, it's even worse. Subway stations are ideal locations for major new development an intensification--the kind of thing that's happening all along Front and the rail corridor. Re-development and intensification is exactly what we don't want in the stable and unique neighbourhoods along Queen.

Wellington is a reasonable solution, though it would be more costly and arguably do a poorer job of serving the East Bayfront than running the line along the rail corridor east of Yonge.

The idea of Queen is that the rail corridor would have high frequency GO service, so building along Queen would avoid duplicating the rail corridor. Also it would reduce overcrowding on the King/Queen/Dundas streetcars, and serve the Eaton Centre (a big source of Yonge line overcrowding in my experience).

The idea of Queen is that the rail corridor would have high frequency GO service, so building along Queen would avoid duplicating the rail corridor. Also it would reduce overcrowding on the King/Queen/Dundas streetcars, and serve the Eaton Centre (a big source of Yonge line overcrowding in my experience).

The frequency of trains on the rail corridor is irrelevant if there aren't the same number of stations that a subway line would have. Trains passing through Fort York, CityPlace, East Bayfront, West Donlands, Distillery, and Queen East without stopping offers no relief to those neighbourhoods.

I'm not saying that a Front/rail corridor alignment is the best choice. I'm just saying that other rail services on the rail corridor isn't a valid argument against it.

Also, the Yonge line is overcrowded well before the Eaton Centre opens each day at 10:00am.

Last edited:
Instead of buying artics for finch, I wonder if it would be possible to buy some Alexander-Dennis double deckers? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexander_Dennis_Enviro500
Both OC Transpo and GO already own these vehicles and since GO already has a garage for these, perhaps they could contract out maintenance and storage in the short term while these buses go through trial operating on the TTC.

From what I understand, purchasing artics would be barely worth the ticket price when you consider their increased maintenance costs, reduced service life, and wider turn requirements when compared to a standard one-section bus. If a new maintenance facility is also required, than the cost of running artics could be prohibitive.

OC Transpo is mostly using the double deckers for express routes, I believe. And yes they do take much longer to load and unload, especially if people actually follow the instructions not to use the stairs while the bus is moving.

Back