469     0 

Distillery District

Anyone know where this is?

Application: Building Additions/Alterations Status: Not Started

TORONTO ON M5A 2Y2

Ward 28: Toronto Centre-Rosedale

Application#: 10 236320 BLD 00 BA Accepted Date: Aug 10, 2010

Project: Other Interior Alterations

Description: permit for interior alterations to convert existing car showroom into place of assembly. -

^ I did some checking on Google Maps and I think they might mean 137 Parliament, which is the old Auto City at Parliament & Richmond.

Why? 37 Parliament is the building just south of the Distillery entrance on the east side of Parliament where Urban Dog is located - there is a whole building at the back which I do not think UD uses.

How about closing the Esplanade to cars but running a streetcar line through from Union Station to Cherry St.

I like this idea. But I am partial to public transit.

It's a tough call. Here's what is certain. There is a lot of traffic in this area. I've been paying closer attention since I'll be moving into Market Wharf. But also just these past couple of days I happen to have been driving in the area (whereas usually I take TTC/walk) and that's when you really notice the congestion - this is 7-8pm so I'd hate to see it during rush hour which to date I've been fortunate to have avoided.

Now one argument is that more streetcar lines will eliminate cars in this area and surely a line to Cherry St. will take cars off Lakeshore and therefore off The Esplanade/Jarvis. Here's what a streetcar line on The Esplanade will do if not reduce congestion... it will slow cars down in this pedestrian/children heavy neighbourhood. I think there would be a number of positives.

I like this idea. But I am partial to public transit.

It's a tough call. Here's what is certain. There is a lot of traffic in this area. I've been paying closer attention since I'll be moving into Market Wharf. But also just these past couple of days I happen to have been driving in the area (whereas usually I take TTC/walk) and that's when you really notice the congestion - this is 7-8pm so I'd hate to see it during rush hour which to date I've been fortunate to have avoided.

Now one argument is that more streetcar lines will eliminate cars in this area and surely a line to Cherry St. will take cars off Lakeshore and therefore off The Esplanade/Jarvis. Here's what a streetcar line on The Esplanade will do if not reduce congestion... it will slow cars down in this pedestrian/children heavy neighbourhood. I think there would be a number of positives.

Seems VERY unlikely to me because there will be a streetcar line running along Queens Quay East that will link to Union Station sooner or later - the original date was 2011 or 2012 but the latest news about East Bayfront seems to put it off until 2018 (grrr). This line will link up to the line that will run down Cherry Street from King - this is supposed to be built in late 2011. I doubt we need another east-west line along The Esplanade.

Application: Demolition Folder (DM) Status: Under Review

TORONTO ON

Ward 28: Toronto Centre-Rosedale

Application#: 10 205085 DEM 00 DM Accepted Date: Jun 24, 2010

Project: Industrial Demolition

Description: Proposal to demo 2 storage buildings (Rackhouse G and J). See active BLD permit 10 187227.

The two Rack houses are half-torn down. What's planned for the site? I really hope that they at least save the facades.

The restaurant selection in the Distillery is terrible.

Yea, but honestly, we're spoiled in Toronto compared to most other cities in terms of restaurant selection in most areas ... we expect too much :)

Yea, but honestly, we're spoiled in Toronto compared to most other cities in terms of restaurant selection in most areas ... we expect too much :)

My major issue is with the prices. It seems as though the high rent can only attract banker-backed restaurants. The Brick St. Bakery and Balzac's are the best things going. Perigee was innovative but is dead... The Boiler House belonds in the entertainment district (over-priced food and calculated, canned ambiance).... There's a new Italian one adjacent to the Fermenting Cellar which is too expensive as well... And Mill St. Brewery has shitty food.

Complaining that stuff in the Distillery is too expensive is a bit like complaining that there are too many children in Leslieville.

I ride past the Distillery a lot on my bike rides in the Port Lands. When the West Don Lands are built, I think we're going to regret the 'walled garden' nature of the Distillery. It sure would be nice to have more storefronts on Mill and Cherry Street, as opposed to blank brick walls.

I ride past the Distillery a lot on my bike rides in the Port Lands. When the West Don Lands are built, I think we're going to regret the 'walled garden' nature of the Distillery. It sure would be nice to have more storefronts on Mill and Cherry Street, as opposed to blank brick walls.

That's an interesting point. I'd never considered it before. Right now Cherry St is a wasteland so it seems obvious that no businesses front onto it. However, I could see in 10 or so years if the West Donlands are anywhere near as vibrant as they are planning for, this might change. The good thing is that I think it wouldn't be that hard to punch some glass windows and doors into the eastern facades of some of those buildings. Once the Clear Spirits condo is complete it may have retail on all sides, I'm not sure, there's probably a render somewhere on this forum!

Complaining that stuff in the Distillery is too expensive is a bit like complaining that there are too many children in Leslieville.

I agree, the Distillery is a tourist district and there's no point in wishing otherwise. It cost millions to refurbish and modernize all those old buildings, and now money needs to be made. Which is fine: Toronto's a big city, and I think there's room for places like Leslieville, Ossington, Kensington Market and the Distillery. A little variety is not a bad thing.

There are some decent specialty places for food in the Distillery (Soma chocolates/gelato, Brick Bakery, Taste of Quebec cheeses) but none of the current batch of sit down restaurants have much going for them other than location. The Mill Street Brew Pub has great beers but I agree the food is quite mediocre, and it's always so bloody busy. I think that if there was just one reliable, decent quality and moderately priced restaurant in the Distillery it would do exceedingly well.

Back