News   Jun 28, 2024
 3.4K     3 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 1.8K     2 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 625     1 

Danforth Line 2 Scarborough Subway Extension

At least with three stations on the Line 2 extension, the ridiculously huge bus terminal at Scarborough Town Centre can be reduced significantly in size, and bus traffic across the McCowan bridge over the 401 can be significantly reduced as well. Going north of the 401 is a huge win, relieving a major pinch point in the local transportation system.

Agreed. Whatever anyone things about the best use of available money, these stations will serve a purpose in our network at the end of the day.

What a disappointment, UTSC centennial and malvern left off the map, while areas that already served by the stouville line gets an extra subway. The cherry on top is the reduced fares for GO within all of Toronto that was to happen this year never materialised.

What do you mean?

Wow, the way that map is drawn it looks like this nearly $6 billion plan is now part of Line 5 rather than Line 2!

Gosh and delaying the 2026 proposed opening by years. Doug Ford must hate Scarborough!

At least with three stations on the Line 2 extension, the ridiculously huge bus terminal at Scarborough Town Centre can be reduced significantly in size, and bus traffic across the McCowan bridge over the 401 can be significantly reduced as well. Going north of the 401 is a huge win, relieving a major pinch point in the local transportation system.

They should just veer the subway alignment far enough west to be able reuse the existing bus terminal at SC Station. Using the path of Packard Blvd from McCowan Rd could achieve this.

Wow, the way that map is drawn it looks like this nearly $6 billion plan is now part of Line 5 rather than Line 2!

Gosh and delaying the 2026 proposed opening by years. Doug Ford must hate Scarborough!

Sorry, but the Progressive Conservatives are the only ones proposing a multi-stop subway throughout Scarborough (Lawrence, Ellesmere/SCC, Sheppard). They're the ones putting the rapid transit along a routing that actually encourages growth and development (SRT corridor may remain as industrial zones in perpetuity).

I fear deeply about the shaft Scarborough would have likely gotten had any party but the PC's got in.

Building rapid transit takes time. I mean, it feels like it's already been close to a decade since the Crosstown project began. If by 2026 there's shovels in the ground on everything proposed today, I think we ought to count ourselves lucky.

Yeah, I was surprised by the 2030 date. That puts the tender a year or 2 after the 2022 election? So I guess we know Ford will be running on the Scarborough Subway extension for his next election too. Scarborough subway, the big Ford election campaign promise for over 12 years.

Will TTC be able to do another life extension of the SRT? Once that gets shut down, 2 or 3 years of a well operating BRT will kill this extension for decades.

Last edited:
Yeah, I was surprised by the 2030 date. That puts the tender a year or 2 after the 2022 election? So I guess we know Ford will be running on the Scarborough Subway extension for his next election too. Scarborough subway, the big Ford election campaign promise for over 12 years.

Will TTC be able to do another life extension of the SRT? Once that gets shut down, 2 or 3 years of a well operating BRT will kill this extension for decades.

Short term pain with the RT closure. 2030 is realistic and its great Ford has stepped up to fix the line from what the City did to the subway.

Really no different then what RT faced by being down for good chunks of the winter and atleast we can prepare to ensure better service if we know in advance.

Yep. Politically astute move on his part.

A few years of people having to ride the bus instead of having the RT will have them even more pro-subway.

They will find a way to keep the RT running longer.

Also that 2030 number is just an estimate. This could get pushed back even further. The DRL is the priority now, followed by the Yonge-North extension.

All the other lines take a back seat to those 2 projects.

The thing that irks me about this plan is that it wouldn't have been that much trouble to insert a Lawrence station into the existing 1-stop alignment and then get set for procurement. But by lengthening it to Sheppard which includes crossing the 401 and figuring out a station footprint at the messy intersection of Sheppard and McCowan (not to mention the associated property acquisition that will need to be made); he has invariably delayed the whole project by 2-5 years. This has got to be intentional.

This will all just be speculation, but how much scaled back will the Scarborough Centre Station Bus Terminal be now that the line is confirmed to be 3-stop? Would the second phase bus terminal (underneath SRT) be necessary anymore? Is there a chance that the entire station will be completely redesigned to incorporate design from developers (partially) funding the station/line?

Back