News   Jul 15, 2024
 225     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.7K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.3K     1 

Danforth Line 2 Scarborough Subway Extension

If the BD subway is extended then the Eglinton LRT should stay in the middle of road. Onward to Guildwood! The Kennedy station modification then becomes fairly simple, no?

Agreed. My argument to elevate Eglinton East was predicated on it being interlined with the SLRT, thereby eliminating the forced transfer at Kennedy. If the subway option is chosen instead, the transfer becomes optional anyway.

And yes, on to Guildwood or even Kingston Rd.

Weren't there capacity issues with doing this? I've heard that the reason the SMLRT wasn't connected with the ECLRT was because the trains would be too full once they get to Kennedy from central Scarborough.

These studies were done without a BD extension in the picture, or a DRL..., or dare I dream, proper commuter rail service. Ideally there would be a lot of transfers at Kennedy, but it would be to a frequent, reasonably priced GO train. btw, I would have the SMLRT do the EW leg on Lawrence.

These studies were done without a BD extension in the picture, or a DRL..., or dare I dream, proper commuter rail service. Ideally there would be a lot of transfers at Kennedy, but it would be to a frequent, reasonably priced GO train. btw, I would have the SMLRT do the EW leg on Lawrence.

I'd imagine that there would be a similar turnover on the Eglinton LRT at Kennedy as there would be on the Sheppard LRT at McCowan. A small number would continue past the subway, but the vast majority would be transferring onto the Bloor-Danforth line.

Even better, let's just buy them all cars. A new sub-compact tends to go for about $15k, and would be oh so much cheaper than any public transportation project.

And while I am trying to illustrate a point about how obsessed we are about cost, there are places in the US where this is an actual argument.

If they pass the driver's test first. Then parking spaces would be required. Not just at a home, but at almost every destination. Then there are petroleum depots (gas stations) to supply them fuel. Then maintenance centres (service). Then insurance costs have to be added. Then hospital care in case of mishaps. Then if they lose use of their own vehicles, they'll need to rent a replacement. Then if they wear out the roads and they complain about potholes and problems with the roads, so those roads will need repair. Finally, they give up and turn to public transit (or biking) instead.

I'd imagine that there would be a similar turnover on the Eglinton LRT at Kennedy as there would be on the Sheppard LRT at McCowan. A small number would continue past the subway, but the vast majority would be transferring onto the Bloor-Danforth line.

You should post more Neil!

That's 700 million dollars. Not hard. How much is that, two stops? Three stops?

Still far from the top of the priority list. I'd much rather see that $700 million go to something like GO REX service from Long Branch to Union, which would benefit far more people than a subway to Sherway, for about the same cost.

Since this debate at council will involve opening up the master agreement does that mean it'll need a 2/3 vote to open or has some way been found around this?

btw, I would have the SMLRT do the EW leg on Lawrence.

Agreed.

But once you reach Lawrence, it makes sense to go 2 km further north and serve UTSC. Furthermore, if Sheppard East LRT survives this turbulence, it makes sense to go to Sheppard to create a network connection.

Kennedy LRT (an option)

Another interesting possibility is Kennedy LRT. That will be feasible if the Danforth subway extension is selected, and takes the McCowan route rather than the existing SRT path.

Then, the former SRT guideway from Kennedy to Ellesmere can be used for the new Kennedy LRT. At Ellesmere or at Progress, the LRT will tilt west and switch to Kennedy proper, continuing up to Steeles and possibly going into Markham at a later date.

Advantages:
1) Rail service to the Lawrence East cluster is retained.
2) The line will serve Kennedy Commons, Agincourt Mall, and Pacific Mall at Steeles. Hopefully, that will ensure robust ridership counts.
3) It should not be very costly to build. Almost all new tracks will be in street median, and no need to cross the Uxbridge mainline.
4) Such a line will create a network connection between the E-W light rail lines: Eglinton, Sheppard East, and potentially Finch East.

Another interesting possibility is Kennedy LRT. That will be feasible if the Danforth subway extension is selected, and takes the McCowan route rather than the existing SRT path.

Then, the former SRT guideway from Kennedy to Ellesmere can be used for the new Kennedy LRT. At Ellesmere or at Progress, the LRT will tilt west and switch to Kennedy proper, continuing up to Steeles and possibly going into Markham at a later date.

Advantages:
1) Rail service to the Lawrence East cluster is retained.
2) The line will serve Kennedy Commons, Agincourt Mall, and Pacific Mall at Steeles. Hopefully, that will ensure robust ridership counts.
3) It should not be very costly to build. Almost all new tracks will be in street median, and no need to cross the Uxbridge mainline.
4) Such a line will create a network connection between the E-W light rail lines: Eglinton, Sheppard East, and potentially Finch East.

I was thinking Warden and Islington or Martin Grove out west but this is good. We can really cut down on peoples commutes here.

Still far from the top of the priority list. I'd much rather see that $700 million go to something like GO REX service from Long Branch to Union, which would benefit far more people than a subway to Sherway, for about the same cost.

Honestly I want to see the system completed. And for such a (relatively) low cost I support that.

Back