News   Jun 25, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 902     0 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 1.5K     3 

Danforth Line 2 Scarborough Subway Extension

Would you prefer the public, the media, and the non-Scarborough politicians allow the construction of a probably $5 billion subway extension that makes no sense be built, with zero accountability?

If the alternative is more studies, more wasted time, only so we can debate more and create more options then YES, please proceed with the $3.5 Billion subway instead of attempting to force what is likely to be a close to $3 Billion rejected LRT. There is nothing that makes me believe a reasonable compromise can be found by our Politicians in a timely manner. They had that chance a decade ago and blew it. If the upper levels answer the call from Tory's lobbying efforts to fund Eglinton East I have little interest in reopening further debates. Ill certainly listen come election time. But to me enough is enough. Just build.

3, 4, heck even 5 billion towards a 6km tunnel that doesn't improve coverage and only marginally improves transit time is NOT a good use of our money. People need to stop thinking that city building is like a game of Simcity where everything can be rebuilt as many times as necessary to make it perfect. Things will never be perfect IRL, and in fact, it's ideally more of a matter of using our resources in most efficient manner possible (real life though, proves that it can and will be hijacked by politicos looking for their reelection ticket).

Have you been paying attention?

Read this red sentence again and then read the rest of why you wrote. Although what you write is completely correct, basically all that is bullshit. The only major transit expansions happen in this city if politicians deem it in the best interests of their re-election -- and screw everything else. This is why we have the "Respect Scarborough" psychosis. And that will become the"Respect Yonge North" psychosis and on and on.

We can't keep on this way.

If anyone believes a $4 billion one-stop subway extension is efficient use of extremely limited funds, they are part of the problem.

If the alternative is more studies, more wasted time, only so we can debate more and create more options then YES. Please proceed with the $3.5 Billion subway instead of attempting to force what is likely to be a close to $3 Billion rejected LRT. There is nothing that makes me believe a reasonable compromise can be found in a timely manner. If the upper levels answer the call from Tory's lobbying efforts to fund Eglinton East I have little interest in reopening further debates. Ill listen come election time. But to me enough is enough. Just build.
I don't know why subway supporters in this thread fail to realize is that the $3.5 billion number for the subway is based on 5% design, while the $2.5-2.9 billion number for the LRT is based on 30% design. This means the cost of the LRT is far more accurate than the cost of the subway, and the cost of the subway could balloon to as much as $5 billion. It doesn't make sense that an elevated LRT would only be $500 million cheaper than a deep bored subway.

Have you been paying attention?

Read this red sentence again and then read the rest of why you wrote. Although what you write is completely correct, basically all that is bullshit. The only major transit expansions happen in this city if politicians deem it in the best interests of their re-election -- and screw everything else. This is why we have the "Respect Scarborough" psychosis. And that will become the"Respect Yonge North" psychosis and on and on.

We can't keep on this way.

If anyone believes a $4 billion one-stop subway extension is efficient use of extremely limited funds, they are part of the problem.

Don't for get the let me "We deserve to dictate whats best for you" Downtown Political psychosis. Might as well put them all on the table

I don't know why subway supporters in this thread fail to realize is that the $3.5 billion number for the subway is based on 5% design, while the $2.5-2.9 billion number for the LRT is based on 30% design. This means the cost of the LRT is far more accurate than the cost of the subway, and the cost of the subway could balloon to as much as $5 billion. It doesn't make sense that an elevated LRT would only be $500 million cheaper than a deep bored subway.

Sure and it's also accurate to say the SLRT plan is not highly supported in Scarborough. Those are the costs. Not 5 billion, not 10 Billion and not any other number people want to throw out to make there point seem more true. Will the cost go up? Yes. As will any project. I think both figures may be fairly accurate when compared to any other project that has ever gone on in this Province because we have never seen this level of over sight during conceptual design

Sure and it also accurate to say the LRT plan is not wanted. Those are the cost. Not % billion, not 10Billion and not any other number. Will it go up? Yes as will any project. I think both are fairly accurate when compared to any other project that has ever gone on in this province because we have never seen this level of scrutiny. Ever
Not wanted by you. I know many people who live in Scarborough who prefer the LRT plan.

I wouldn't say both are fairly accurate when the subway number is based on 5% design and still has many unknown factors to work out.

Not wanted by you. I know many people who live in Scarborough who prefer the LRT plan.

I wouldn't say both are fairly accurate when the subway number is based on 5% design and still has many unknown factors to work out.

Yes its a big place you can certainly find some supporters and the Opposition media will keep people thinking that support is higher than it is. Now watch someone run on that platform and see how well they do.

Last edited:
I rest my case.

Thanks for happily serving as the the poster boy of the "Respect Scarborough" psychosis.

Thanks again for the kind words. Certainly amazing why some of us would ask for more respect with this kind of rhetoric?

I just wanted some type of compromise in this debate. It doesn't seem to be achievable so...

Yes its a big place you can certainly find some supporters and the Opposition media will keep people thinking that support is higher than it is. Now watch someone run on that platform and see how well they do.
Only asking people on the platform sounds like a very biased and unscientific way of determining whether people in Scarborough prefer the subway or LRT.

Only asking people on the platform sounds like a very biased and unscientific way of determining whether people in Scarborough prefer the subway or LRT.

Its the way things are done. Always has in our Democracy and always will. Also we can keep coming up with new plans to poll and debate. It doesn't end.

There are many "facts" and variables left out of these poll questions which are skewing the reality and oversimplifying matters to fit that narrative. Come election time the plans will be much different and the Election will be more accurrate

Yes and you'll be left saying WTF after every election when the subway supporters clean house in Scarborough. The "scientific data" you receive that more people prefer the SLRT over subway wont hold up because its not scientific or accurate.

Not even Malvern wanted the SLRT. Thats all the science you should need to know to determine the amount of support elswhere. Ainsle can get by on SLRT because its the easiest way to bring the Eglinton East to his riding and people are far less impacted by the RT debate. Otherwise the support is sparse elsewhere

Last edited:
Yes and you'll be left saying WTF after every election when the subway supporters clean house in Scarborough. The "scientific data" you receive that more people prefer the SLRT over subway wont hold up because its not scientific or accurate.

Not even Malvern wanted the SLRT. Thats all the science you need to know the amount of support. Ainsle can get by on SLRT because its the easiest way to bring the Eglinton East to his riding. Otherwise the support is sparse elsewhere
I didn't realize Scarborough voters only voted based on one issue...

Then years later, York Region will also begin demanding the McCowan North Extension up to Markville Mall. And the politicans will bow down to them and give them a subway.

And the same arguments by OneCity and others will apply there too.

"It's stupid to have a transfer before a major hub", etc.

Back