News   Jun 25, 2024
 868     1 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 814     0 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 1.4K     3 

Danforth Line 2 Scarborough Subway Extension

Of course Scarborough is part of Toronto. But the suburban parts of Toronto have different needs and wants from the urban parts. There's nothing wrong with that.

Way to perpetuate it, there.

Pretty sure they want a fast access to the core just like those living at Yonge and Eg. If you're asking me should Scarborough have subways under all their major arteries, the answer is no but a fast access from their centre to access other city centres, absolutely

There was a network in a previous subway plan too. It was called Network 2011. The only thing that got built was the Sheppard Stubway. Now we're building another extension that's essentially the spiritual successor of the Sheppard Line.

This subway extension is completely unnecessary.

Same logic of networks being built can be used for LRT. If the subway was on the RT corridor there wouldn't even be a great difference in cost compared to LRT.
The subway is not issue its Smart track and the excuse of the RT shutdown that has made it unreasonable.

If I would to invest Transit into Scarborough I would have a proposal like this:

LRT Lines
  • Crosstown East (Kennedy Stn to Morningside Hts)
  • Sheppard East (Don Mills Stn to Medowvale)
  • SCLRT (Kennedy Stn to Malvern Town Centre)
  • York Mills & Ellesmere (York Mills Stn to UTSC)
  • Finch Phase II (Finch West Stn to Morningside Hts)
  • Lawrence East (Science Centre Stn to Kingston Rd)
BRT Lines
  • Steeles East (Finch Stn to Morningside Hts)
  • Markham Rd (Warden Stn to Steeles)
  • Warden (Warden Stn to Steeles)
  • Victoria Park (Victoria Park Stn to Steeles)
  • McCowan (Scarborough Centre Stn to Steeles)
But hey I'm just using my imagination anyway

Build the DRL to Sheppard, build all those LRT and BRT lines to Don Mills.

Nobody in Scarborough would even be using transit between STC and Kennedy then. They would all be travelling westward to the DRL.

That is the model we should have been pushing for.

Build the DRL to Sheppard, build all those LRT and BRT lines to Don Mills.

Nobody in Scarborough would even be using transit between STC and Kennedy then. They would all be travelling westward to the DRL.

That is the model we should have been pushing for.

North of the 401 would take the LRT or Subway to Don Mills, South of the 401 will use Line 2 from STC

North of the 401 would take the LRT or Subway to Don Mills, South of the 401 will use Line 2 from STC
Those in Eastern Scarborough anyway.

If you are on York Mills or Lawrence west of say Birchmount, then what incentive do you have in going backwards to STC?

Even today, many of the 54 Lawrence East is consisting of Scarborough residents taking the bus all the way to Yonge and Eglinton.

Those in Eastern Scarborough anyway.

If you are on York Mills or Lawrence west of say Birchmount, then what incentive do you have in going backwards to STC?

Even today, many of the 54 Lawrence East is consisting of Scarborough residents taking the bus all the way to Yonge and Eglinton.

Smarttrack/GO RER would be closer assuming it's TTC fare

Why can we not make this an elevated extension? Im pro-extension but why waste money on having this tunneled, having deep deep stations, and ballooning costs because of the tough geographic environment to tunnel?

The subway line is already above ground between VP and Warden, and on the western portion of Line 1, nobody in Scarborough (besides the NIMBYS on McCowan) would oppose it because it's connected to the BD line.

Last edited:
I'm not considering SmartTrack as a serious part of our potential transit network.
I'm not taking much of what Tory or Council projects as serious at this point in time. What they're proposing on so many fronts is with money they don't have, and looking more likely with time to never have. Did I mention I'm taking a trip to the Moon on a buried subway which we're going to cover with a park?

nobody in Scarborough (besides the NIMBYS on McCowan) would oppose it because it's connected to the BD line.
But those are also the ones promoting it, not folks living farther afield. In the event, there's no money to build much of anything, save an LRT already promised to be covered by QP.

Pretty sure they want a fast access to the core just like those living at Yonge and Eg. If you're asking me should Scarborough have subways under all their major arteries, the answer is no but a fast access from their centre to access other city centres, absolutely

People living at Yonge and Eglinton are about the same distance from Union as STC is from Kennedy. Is there some reason no one in Scarborough is capable of using GO stations at, say, Agincourt or Guildwood for that "one-seat" ride downtown?

Getting on at Eglinton or Davisville usually only guarantees of a "one-grab-bar/standing" ride in the morning.

Is there some reason no one in Scarborough is capable of using GO stations at, say, Agincourt or Guildwood for that "one-seat" ride downtown?
It's more expensive and there's more lower revenue families in that area, in term of being "capable", they are but their wallet isn't...(very condescending comment by the way)

Why can we not make this an elevated extension? Im pro-extension but why waste money on having this tunneled, having deep deep stations, and ballooning costs because of the tough geographic environment to tunnel?

The subway line is already above ground between VP and Warden, and on the western portion of Line 1, nobody in Scarborough (besides the NIMBYS on McCowan) would oppose it because it's connected to the BD line.

Elevated through the SRT corridor or up Midland (which could be done and not have to involve rebuilding Kennedy Stn) is what we ought to do, but City Council is too rigidly fixated on the McCowan alignment which won't even have the benefit of intermediate stops at busy Brimley/Danforth-Eglinton and the hospital at Lawrence.

It's more expensive and there's more lower revenue families in that area, in term of being "capable", they are but their wallet isn't...(very condescending comment by the way)

Then perhaps pursuing fare integration with cheaper "local" fares would be a more appropriate policy, along with low-income refundable tax credits for transit, etc.

Those "lower revenue" families are going to spend as long or longer on the bus to get to STC then they would either to an SLRT or Eglinton East LRT. Or a Sheppard LRT. But, by all means, keep trying to make a subway station to a mall for the benefit of Oxford Properties about equity in Scarborough.

Back