News   Jun 25, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 947     0 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 1.6K     3 

Danforth Line 2 Scarborough Subway Extension

No it doesn't. It never even made sense to build it in the first place. But sure, keep telling yourself that.

It makes a lot of sense based on what is actually built. The people who are pretending are the ones acting like it doesn't exist and wont impact Scarborough commuters if we connect something differnet to this stub. It does add a layer of inconvenience and its the reason why it was so easy to get the support to stop the LRT. Keep telling yourself it doesn't matter?

If I would to invest Transit into Scarborough I would have a proposal like this:

LRT Lines
  • Crosstown East (Kennedy Stn to Morningside Hts)
  • Sheppard East (Don Mills Stn to Medowvale)
  • SCLRT (Kennedy Stn to Malvern Town Centre)
  • York Mills & Ellesmere (York Mills Stn to UTSC)
  • Finch Phase II (Finch West Stn to Morningside Hts)
  • Lawrence East (Science Centre Stn to Kingston Rd)
BRT Lines
  • Steeles East (Finch Stn to Morningside Hts)
  • Markham Rd (Warden Stn to Steeles)
  • Warden (Warden Stn to Steeles)
  • Victoria Park (Victoria Park Stn to Steeles)
  • McCowan (Scarborough Centre Stn to Steeles)
But hey I'm just using my imagination anyway

The Sheppard Line (Line 4) should've built as an LRT line rather than as a subway in the first place.

If they had built it all the way to STC as a subway, it would have been worth it. Sadly, they under built it and now there is no good solution for it. I still think that after the DRL is built, they should extend it to Downsview and to STC.

Just as I wouldn't consider living near Kipling, Wilson, or Kennedy stations because they're also not walkable. But I would live along Yonge because most of Yonge is walkable and pedestrian friendly. Scarborough Centre sure won't be with the parking lots and hundreds of buses going to the station everyday.

Kipling is not walkable. Wilson (east of Wilson Heights) is more walkable than Yonge between Lawrence and Hwy 401.

It makes a lot of sense based on what is actually built. The people who are pretending are the ones acting like it doesn't exist and wont impact Scarborough commuters if we connect something differnet to this stub. It does add a layer of inconvenience and its the reason why it was so easy to get the support to stop the LRT. Keep telling yourself it doesn't matter?

Well speaking of "pretending", I guess money grows on trees.

Kipling is not walkable.

Wait four years and see how the Six Points makeover turns out. I'm still astounded that Etobicoke's councillors bought the plan. Maybe they don't realise what the difference will be.

I wonder if the vision for STC will be similar, or different again.

- Paul

Really? Yonge between Lawrence and Yonge Blvd is pretty damn walkable.
its walkable until you pass Yonge Blvd. After that, cars are going pretty fast up Yonge and there is that dip before York Mills after Hoggs Hollow where they are going fast downhill and nothing around

What kind of backwards logic is this? Vaughan Centre and Richmond Hill Centre are little more than grassy knolls today but what they will become within the next 10-30 years is the rationale that's being used to propose extending the subway network out to these points.

Spadina Avenue is already surrounded by subway stops and the streetcar feeds directly into the subway at both ends. How is this comparable to Scarborough Centre which is an isolated 6.4 kilometres away from Kennedy Station? Are the people along Spadina any more special or important than Scarborough residents? This will conceptually be SCC in 10 years time, with or without the subway:

26014-90782.jpg

Mic drop!

It comes to a point that some people just have to accept things for how they are, and move on.

The SRT was opened in 1985. Do we want another 32 years to go by, obfuscating the process of upgrading it? I don't think so.

I was not a proponent of the Spadina Line extension, but the comparison is ridiculous.

Even in today's dollars, that extension will be cheaper than the 1-stop vanity tunnel Tory is using to earn himself votes in the next election.

It's an 8.6km extension with 6 new stops.

The rendering above is about development potential at the STC. If subway stations were guarantees of development, Kipling, Warden and Kennedy would've been 'developed' years ago.

STC will likely see more development simply because there's already a mix of retail and residential there - a subway connection isn't necessary. Sensible transit is.

Besides, why is STC taking precedence over the rest of Scarborough?

A network of LRTs would be transformative. This 1-stop extension is not.

I was not a proponent of the Spadina Line extension, but the comparison is ridiculous.

Even in today's dollars, that extension will be cheaper than the 1-stop vanity tunnel Tory is using to earn himself votes in the next election.

It's an 8.6km extension with 6 new stops.

The rendering above is about development potential at the STC. If subway stations were guarantees of development, Kipling, Warden and Kennedy would've been 'developed' years ago.

STC will likely see more development simply because there's already a mix of retail and residential there - a subway connection isn't necessary. Sensible transit is.

Besides, why is STC taking precedence over the rest of Scarborough?

A network of LRTs would be transformative. This 1-stop extension is not.

The subway itself is not stupid. The one stop tunneled subway is.

Even in its current form there is still a network in this plan with Eglinton East LRT, SSE, Smarttack stops at Finch and Lawrence, and Sheppard something TBD. The Finch ST stop has more merit than Midland and Ellesmere RT stops and the seamless connection to SCC is huge for the longer term vision of SCC. So aside from the crazy one stop design the overall plan is reasonable and although a couple stops less its has more benefits in the long term for Scarborough

Malvern LRT extension to Eglinton and Sheppard TBD will be phase#2 and this is still a really good start as far as im concerned. I just wish the opposition had accepted Ford LRT proposal, or proposed subway above ground, or just get rid of smarttrack and add stops

Last edited:
How would you feel if Line 3's southern terminus remained located where it is, but the Sheppard corridor was the one that brought a transfer-free service between SCC and Yonge (either as LRT or some kind of Line 4 extn)? Or should both corridors be transfer-free to Yonge?
First, I had to look up Line 3. It is the SRT, or Blue line. Line 4 is Sheppard, or the Purple Line. Completely off topic, but I like how Japan gave a letter to their lines, and then each station had a number (much easier to find on a map if you don't know the area. If this was followed, we would have a Y line for Yonge, B for Bloor, S for Sheppard, E for Eglinton, F for Finch.

For your example, I think more people would want to go south to downtown than west towards Yonge. Thus, I think the transfer free ride is more important going from STC south. If the DRL made it up to Sheppard, which at the current pace won't happen in my lifetime, then Sheppard could be continuous to Downsview and most would transfer to the DRL (which would have fewer stations than Yonge) - with the Yonge and Spadina connection used for specialty locations (i.e. U of T @ St. George, Hospital Row, or Y-E) or redundancy.

The subway itself is not stupid. The one stop tunneled subway is.

Even in its current form there is still a network in this plan with Eglinton East LRT, SSE, Smarttack stops at Finch and Lawrence, and Sheppard something TBD. The Finch ST stop has more merit than Midland and Ellesmere RT stops and the seamless connection to SCC is huge for the longer term vision of SCC. So aside from the crazy one stop design the overall plan is reasonable and although a couple stops less its has more benefits in the long term for Scarborough

Malvern LRT extension to Eglinton and Sheppard TBD will be phase#2 and this is still a really good start as far as im concerned. I just wish the opposition had accepted Ford LRT proposal, or subway above ground, or no smarttrack and subway with stops.

There was a network in a previous subway plan too. It was called Network 2011. The only thing that got built was the Sheppard Stubway. Now we're building another extension that's essentially the spiritual successor of the Sheppard Line.

This subway extension is completely unnecessary.

Back