News   Jun 28, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 494     1 

Danforth Line 2 Scarborough Subway Extension

You realize SkyTrain is the name to the Vancouver Rapid Transit network and not the name for the technology that Bombardier is offering. Bombardier calls them Innovia Metro. The Canada Line uses conventional DC subway trains and is consider part of the SkyTrain network. The name came from the trains mainly ran on elevated tracks like the Chicago 'L' trains which is just a subway.

I get all that, and what I was attempting to counter (hence using quotes). Ssiguy seems to use Skytrain synonymously with the concept of affordable subway-building. Was trying to point that there other cities to look to, there are other vehicles that can have identical Innovia dimensions, and that LIM needn't be part of any discussion. Toronto can build a system no different than Vancouver's without ever mentioning Bombardier or the proprietary Innovia brand.

For those who wish to argue that this line died because it was different technology than the rest of the system, look at Boston. Each line uses different cars. Each car not only is different in dimensions, but also how they get their power. Some use third rail, some use catanary and one even uses both.

Right now, the currently build cars the TTC uses is 3 different needs. Boston is at least 4.

So, next argument please.

For those who wish to argue that this line died because it was different technology than the rest of the system, look at Boston. Each line uses different cars. Each car not only is different in dimensions, but also how they get their power. Some use third rail, some use catanary and one even uses both.

Right now, the currently build cars the TTC uses is 3 different needs. Boston is at least 4.

Nobody's arguing against third rail or overhead, those are very conventional. They're arguing against linear induction power and one brand of vehicle built by one manufacturer.

Nobody's arguing against third rail or overhead, those are very conventional. They're arguing against linear induction power and one brand of vehicle built by one manufacturer.

Did you know that the Canada Line of the Skytrain is not LI powered?

The Evergreen Extension is LI powered.

The reason it failed in Toronto is that tight curve.

Toronto could get replacement SkyTrain cars {yes I know SkyTrain is a Vancouver name but makes for easy differentiation between train technology} but lets say they can't just for the sake of argument. Well with the $2.7 billion they would be saving by simply fixing the bend instead of a subway they could buy enough SkyTrain too last them until the third millennium.

If SkyTrain will not be used due to political reasons then they should go ahead with the subway via the SRT corridor as as cheap as they can possibly get to STC. Anything would be better than a $2.5 billon LRT.

100% agree there is no reason for the RT corridor not be used over a one stop McCowan.

But this extension has massive election implications Municipally and also on the Provincial level. Sheppard was also easily torn up because the decision was supported by the majority of residents west of McCowan few of whom were impressed to have an extra inconvenient transfer to their commute.

This is pure Political suicide for Tory if he cant move this forward. I have an extremely hard time seeing it cancelled. The last thing we need is to re-open this debate.
I am really confused because I thought they had once again agreed to the 7 stop LRT plus Crosstown East extension to Scarborough UFT campus plus I believe something else out there but I do not remember what. Not sure if it was part of SmartTrack. I remember Glenn De Baeremaker coming out to say the plan was even better than the plan before.

I am really confused because I thought they had once again agreed to the 7 stop LRT plus Crosstown East extension to Scarborough UFT campus plus I believe something else out there but I do not remember what. Not sure if it was part of SmartTrack. I remember Glenn De Baeremaker coming out to say the plan was even better than the plan before.

If GDB came out to say the plan was better I don't imagine it would include LRT to STC.

So, because some other system has a ridiculous setup, we should too?

That doesn't seem like sound logic to me.

The reason it failed in Toronto is that tight curve.

The reason why it failed in Toronto was because it's an orphaned line who's continuing and increasing operating costs don't warrant further expansion into a system where it could at least be seen as "self-sustaining".

The reason why it failed in Toronto was because were were to be the guinea pig for a technology that wasn't quite ready for mass market.

The reason why it failed in Toronto was because we realized it was a mistake to start with, and we didn't want the mistake to get worse.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

So, because some other system has a ridiculous setup, we should too?

That doesn't seem like sound logic to me.

The reason why it failed in Toronto was because it's an orphaned line who's continuing and increasing operating costs don't warrant further expansion into a system where it could at least be seen as "self-sustaining".

The reason why it failed in Toronto was because were were to be the guinea pig for a technology that wasn't quite ready for mass market.

The reason why it failed in Toronto was because we realized it was a mistake to start with, and we didn't want the mistake to get worse.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.
It wouldn't have been an orphaned line is it was expanded.

How was the SRT marketed/perceived in 1985 before it opened? Were people excited about a new form of transit in Toronto in the suburbs (Scarborough, Etobicoke) or were people complaining it wasn't "what we deserve" as it's "not good enough"?

Back