News   Jul 26, 2024
 1.4K     1 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 1K     0 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 2.9K     2 

Danforth Line 2 Scarborough Subway Extension

If you did that, you know Region of York (RoY) would soon be proposing sending it to 7/McCowan, and then down 7 into downtown Markham.

Likely as a condition of their support for transit "revenue tools" ;)

I forgot. If they get 2 way all day on the Stouffville line then no way.

It looks like James Pasternak will not support a B-D extension. All he wants to support is a Sheppard West subway.

I suspect that Ana Bailao will support the extension though.

Last edited:
Personally, I'm willing to consider alternatives within the same budget.

Why within the same budget. Isn't this steady stream of revenue? I hope you seriously don't believe that those taxes if adopted will be temporary.

Hence my argument that if people have to pay extra for transit, they should get what they want as long as it's reasonable.

Why within the same budget. Isn't this steady stream of revenue? I hope you seriously don't believe that those taxes if adopted will be temporary.

Hence my argument that if people have to pay extra for transit, they should get what they want as long as it's reasonable.

The list of projects that the new taxes are to fund has already been announced. List here. The time when those are complete and we're considering what else to build with that steady stream of revenue is at least 15-20 years from now.

There is still a limited budget. Not everyone can get what they want, even if reasonable.

The Councillors are quickly realizing that the light at the end of the tunnel isn't a train. It's the villagers with torches coming for them at the next election. It's dawning on them that asking 650 000 Scarborough residents to pony up while giving them much of the same is not a very sellable proposition. And worse still, it's a proposition that could yield them another Rob Ford victory and cost them their jobs. Their provincial MPPs are paying attention too.

Look at the Metrolinx anchor hub fact sheets for household income:
GTHA: $87 000
Queen St./Downtown: $82 000
Scarborough Centre: $57 000

Now guess which place has the least accessible rapid transit, requiring many families to have a car and thus get hit with most of the proposed "revenue tools"? They'll get hit with Vehicle Registration Taxes, congestion charges, road tolls and parking levies. They'll also get hit hardest with any TTC fare-by-distance scheme. Meanwhile downtown residents will be the least impacted by all those taxes, and yet will benefit the most when the DRL goes by having a subway they can walk to. Downtowners get a nice boost in property values. Scarborough resident may actually take yet another hit, through lower home values (relative to areas closer to rapid transit).

Now, people will argue that Scarborough is getting three of four LRT lines. Sure. But if you live on Finch (which has higher ridership than Sheppard) you won't care. If you live anywhere in southeast Scarborough, you won't care (well at least not for 20 years till the SMLRT enters the discussion). If you live in Dorset Park, Parkwoods, Maryvale, Wexford Heights, you won't care, because the LRTs won't help you much.

If you live near Sheppard or Eglinton? Bully for you. If you live near STC or Lawrence East? Well, there's no real change other than the new LRT won't be as crowded and you might not have to wait for 2-3 trains to go by before you get on at Kennedy in the evening. The real beneficiary of the SRT extension was Centennial College students and the handful of Malvern residents who would have lived close to where the stops were on the extension. Without reaching Malvern Town Centre, the line would not be able to properly intercept most Malvern bus routes anyway. Sure, some of the bus routes could be altered to serve the proposed LRT Sheppard/Progress terminus, but the time savings would be inconsequential compared to the irritant of the Kennedy transfer...and if you don't live in Malvern? You get stuck with the transfer and no time savings. But a subway station at McCowan/Sheppard could actually intercept Milner, Nugget, Sheppard East, McCowan North, etc. and eliminate the Kennedy transfer. Indeed, you might actually get traffic on Sheppard going west to catch the Bloor-Danforth line at McCowan/Sheppard. This will be so popular, people may well forget about asking for a subway extension on Sheppard!

I think it's finally dawning on Stintz and all those Scarborough Councillors who blindly voted to reinstate TC without any changes at all, that there's no real community support since most people won't see any substantial benefit. Pushing for the changeover to subway and elimination of the transfer, while avoiding a shut down of the RT during construction is the least they could do to make these "revenue tools" moderately palatable.

If they can't get this through, the next provincial and municipal elections will be interesting to watch. A whole bunch of Scarborough Liberal MPPs and City Councillors insisting that they were serving their constituents when serving up taxes that may well equal 2-3% of gross income for the average Scarborough household, while undertaking no additional investment beyond what's planned now (under MO2020 provincial funding) for the foreseeable future, while still sticking most Scarborough residents with buses, transfers and crowded subways. All while, their friends and colleagues, resident downtown, who already have household incomes 44% higher, pay less of those fees and get a substantial boost from getting yet another subway within walking distance. That should go up like a lead balloon.

Note. None of this is to say that I don't support the DRL or the LRTs that are being built. But this line should have been a subway extension from the start. And the plan that went to Metrolinx should have insisted on it. The councillors didn't do their jobs. And now they'll have to try and make good on this effort or risk the wrath that comes at the next polls, where voters will be walking past posters advertising the shut down of the SRT and announcing the new "revenue tools" right into the voters booths.

The list of projects that the new taxes are to fund has already been announced. List here. The time when those are complete and we're considering what else to build with that steady stream of revenue is at least 15-20 years from now.

There is still a limited budget. Not everyone can get what they want, even if reasonable.

this is where a strong mayor and council would have been useful to be able to push Toronto's project ahead of the others...

I get what you're trying to say, but I take issue with this:

Meanwhile downtown residents will be the least impacted by all those taxes, and yet will benefit the most when the DRL goes by having a subway they can walk to

Most Downtown Toronto residents will tell you that they will see little to no benefit from the DRL. Either because they don't need to take transit since they work close to home, or because they're already within walking distance of their closest station. The people the DRL will benefit the most from DRL is definitely Downtown bound travellers coming from the Eastern Toronto. It certainly would have been very useful for me back when I lived in the East York.

The provincial government is about to implement new dedicated taxes for transit. You can't expect people to pay new taxes and at the same time just accept not getting the improvements they were promised on transit.

That's what a lot of people simply don't understand. Perception. If you don't live near Sheppard or Eglinton, you aren't seeing squat in Scarborough. You will still be waiting in the cold, for a bus, to take you to your RT station to an unnecessary (as perceived) transfer. Only, you'll now be paying more for it, possibly taking a hit in home values, and you'll have to go for 3-5 years with no RT just to retain status quo.

How much of that is walk-in, and how much of that is bus transfers? There would be a new station at Lawrence East and McCowan, which would directly serve Scarborough General Hospital.

I would venture to say that with the exception of SC and McCowan, most SRT ridership is transfer traffic.

Should it work that way, though? If another project elsewhere would carry more passengers and do more to reduce congestion wouldn't it make more sense to find that rather than the Oprah Winfrey school of transit planning?

You get a rapid transit project! You get a rapid transit project! You get a rapid transit project!

Methinks we are in for lots of these stories.......everyone is gonna be in favor of revenue tools.....as long as the money is spent on them!

I get the slippery slope arguments. But realistically, I can't think of another place where you could apply it. This is the only corridor where the subway is within 22% of the price tag of the LRT. There is no other corridor where it would apply. Sheppard is an argument over cost multiples. And where in the 905 do you have these kinds of debates? The 905 debates are over whether or not to build an LRT or a BRT. I have yet to see a 905 fight over which mode of higher-order transit to build.

I'm really starting to wonder how many councilors will back a Bloor-Danforth extension. Mayor Ford will most likely vote no to it, and Doug Ford has said he will not support it. Josh Matlow and Paul Ainslie have said they want to stick with the LRT plan. I'm guessing Doug Holyday, Vincent Crisanti, Giorgio Mammoliti, Shelley Carroll and Frances Nunziata will vote it down too.

Here are the ones backing a B-D extension:
Karen Stintz, Glenn De Baeremaeker, Raymond Cho, Chin Lee, Michael Thompson, Gary Crawford, Michelle Berardinetti, Joe Mihevc, and Josh Colle. And possibly Norm Kelly and Ron Moeser.

The Scarborough councillors have no choice. Their constituents will be hopping mad when they get that letter in the mail advising them of the SRT shut down, right after they get a notice about all the "revenue tools" they'll be "using". They better have something to show for it. As for the other councillors, some are Rob Ford types and simply won't vote for it, because they don't support the new taxes. It has nothing at all to do with opposition to the subway. The anti-SRT subway crowd is actually small. And in the end, they'll come together. Because they all fear Rob Ford's populism and a possible backlash at a provincial election (electing Hudak), far more than they really care about the money being spent here.

This move by Stintz puts Ford in a very difficult position. He votes against revenue tools and there will be posters all over Scarborough about how he voted against the Scarborough subway. Or he votes for the "revenue tools" (far-fetched I know) and Ford nation will give their founder the boot. Either way, Stintz wins. Rob Ford loses.

An idea of how many students attend the Centennial College Progress Campus would be a good addition to this discussion.

(And the numbers for the co-located UTSC+Centennial College Morningside Campus would be useful for comparison)

Serving the Malvern Centre will be relatively easy, using a branch of Sheppard LRT or BRT, going up Neilson.

The loss of connection to Centennial College is a weak point of the subway option. If they are building the Durham - Ellesmere BRT, I would look at the possibility of veering it north off Ellesmere at some point just west of the Highland Creek bridge, then following the Highland Creek valley and reaching Centennial campus from the south, and finally going to STC. However, I am not familiar with the area, and do not know whether such route is technically and fiscally feasible.

One bus route from STC successfully suports Centennial now. There's just not enough students at Centennial to drive transit planning in all of northern Scarborough. UTSC is massive. But again, UTSC is better served by the BRT along Ellesemere, than even the Morningside LRT.

As for Malvern. The station at Sheppard/McCowan simply moves the rapid transit transfer point 2 km West. So about 5-7 mins further west on the bus. But now, many more Malvern bus routes can intercept the station. The Sheppard/McCowan station is sufficiently north enough that some of the travel time will be reduced. And there will be no transfer and fewer stops till Kennedy. All in all, the travel time from Malvern on the subway and LRT extension would be similar, except that the comfort level is much higher (shorter bus ride, one less transfer) and many more bus routes are intercepted (reflected in the 5M additional annual riders).

this is where a strong mayor and council would have been useful to be able to push Toronto's project ahead of the others...

But are the mayors of the other cities just gonna sit by and watch revenue get raised all over the region just get spent on the Toronto projects that get pushed ahead of the others?

I have been saying this since revenue tools were first being discussed......the art is not defining and implementing tools that, region-wide, will raise $2B a year...that is just math. The art is then spending that money over a 25 year period in such a fashion that no one region feels that all they are doing is funding building for someone else. Don't forget, around these parts, anyone who institutes/collects these new revenue tools has to go to the electorate every 4 or so years.........if a provincial government gets support for 4 years of this, then 4 years later all they have done is build subways in Scarborough and downtown Toronto they can pretty much kiss any votes in the surrounding municipalities goodbye (and the opposite is true if they focus on GO expansion exclusively first).

I get the slippery slope arguments. But realistically, I can't think of another place where you could apply it. This is the only corridor where the subway is within 22% of the price tag of the LRT. There is no other corridor where it would apply. Sheppard is an argument over cost multiples. And where in the 905 do you have these kinds of debates? The 905 debates are over whether or not to build an LRT or a BRT. I have yet to see a 905 fight over which mode of higher-order transit to build.

What I was getting at is the renegotiation of the plan as hostage for the support....not just the subway v LRT argument. Aside from wanting the mode changed, these councillors are also "demanding" that this project be the first funded. So how much when the councillors say:

“You’re not going to get Scarborough residents to support any revenue tools if there’s no offer of a subway,” said Berardinetti.

how much different is that from the councillor in Milton who said:

If the Province moves ahead with taxes to pay for transit, it means Halton residents will be "sending the equivalent of $150 million per year for 15-plus years before the region sees any transit upgrades from Metrolinx,"

The slippery slope I see is that once one area renegotiates the plan, then it opens it up for everyone to do the same...or withhold their support. Frankly, if one area gets to rewrite the plan in their favour before endorsing the funding mechanism...I would expect no less of the people who represent me.

Back