News   Jul 26, 2024
 1.3K     1 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 1K     0 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 2.8K     2 

Danforth Line 2 Scarborough Subway Extension

Coming through with funds early??? Yup, definitely was a different time, haha!

Yeah,

That was the time the Conservatives ruled and did not have to clean up the mess left by tax-and-spend Liberal and NDP governments.

Scarborough subway revival wanted by TTC chair Stintz, councillors

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/toronto/ttc-chair-stintz-councillors-want-scarborough-subway-revived/article11586060/

A group of Toronto city councillors, including TTC chair Karen Stintz, is pushing the province to revive plans for a Scarborough subway as part of talks on new fees and taxes for building transit.

Converting the aging Scarborough Rapid Transit line to an extension of the Bloor-Danforth subway is back on the table, several councillors say, and informal talks with Queen’s Park have begun. Plans are in the works to introduce the subway project as part of an expected debate on transit funding at the next council meeting. It’s a move that could put Mayor Rob Ford in a bind by linking a Scarborough subway – one of his long-held ambitions – to the new transit taxes he abhors.

Last edited:
A sacrifice move on the city hall chess board?
In the (mythical) perfect world we WOULD have a subway going further into Scarborough but building one is not only very expensive it will take many years. Can the existing SRT be kept operating much longer? Would converting it to an LRT quite soon (as planned) be best with a "firm' plan to extend the subway in increments soon after? The worst-case scenario would be a decision to extend the subway, no replacement for the SRT and it becoming unusable and replacing it with buses.

If they went with the Subway they would probably start construction as soon as the funding tools are approved, and even with stretching the SRTs operating life to 2016 or 2017 it would likely have to be replaced by shuttle buses for a couple of years.

There's the issue of is there really a need for an SRT by itself in any incarnation, since it's primarily a feeder route just to get to the longer rapid transit lines.

A sacrifice move on the city hall chess board?

A sacrifice would be putting it in a place where there is nowhere near enough ridership, existing or projected, to support it. This is a non-sacrifice, in that it keeps LRT everywhere except for the SRT replacement which already has a good ridership base to build from. It was really more of a mistake to think ending the Danforth line at a location which is not a "places to grow" node made sense while extending the Spadina line to Vaughan Centre, and the Yonge line to Richmond Hill Centre. Kipling Station, Vaughan Centre Station, and Richmond Hill Station will be in natural locations to end subway service based on the GTA growth plan.

There's the issue of is there really a need for an SRT by itself in any incarnation, since it's primarily a feeder route just to get to the longer rapid transit lines.

It seems strange that there would be the ridership to justify replacing the SRT with a subway, yet not enough ridership to justify elevating the Eglinton LRT east of Don Mills or building an eastern extension of the Sheppard subway. The route between Kennedy and Scarborough Centre has very little development on it, so the high ridership levels on the SRT are caused by the development at Scarborough Centre and feeder bus traffic to NE Scarborough. Meanwhile Sheppard East between Don Mills and STC is considerably denser (the Consumers Road office park and numerous new condominiums and older apartment buildings are along this stretch). Eglinton East between Don Mills and Kennedy is low density, but might become heavily used if the SRT and the Eglinton LRT were interlined. Furthermore I would expect that if a downtown relief line were built along Don Mills Road at least as far north as Sheppard (a high priority line in my view), demand on Eglinton East and Sheppard East would increase substantially.

Hasn't Stintz already lost all credibility. She is the one who lead the charge to restore Transit City - now she wants it changed. She is the one who siad that Metrolinx can lead the projects with no input from Toronto - and now she wants input. She is the one who talked about the reach of Transit, but now wants to take transit away from Centennial.

For the Yonge line, the biggest problem is people transfering at the busiest station - Bloor. This would just encourage more riders to take B-D instead Sheppard and Yonge - slowing the Yonge line even more.

I used to support this extension but now feel that the elevated Eglinton line continuous with SRT is a less expensive and more effective way to serve Scarborough.

I don't agree. This one is a toss-up. There are good arguments to be made for either solution, and I admit I change my mind on it all the time. Politicians should be allowed to change their minds too.

Honestly, I think a Bloor-Danforth extension up to Sheppard Ave would be best at the end of the day. The LRT plan is a fine plan for Scarborough residents, but I do believe residents and others who use the Toronto’s public transit would agree the subway to Scarborough Centre is best.

However, the downtown relief subway line SHOULD be still being top priority for the city. Hell, it can be six months after shovels are in the ground for the DRL and then the B-D extension can start being worked on, just as long as the DRL comes first.

Honestly, I think a Bloor-Danforth extension up to Sheppard Ave would be best at the end of the day. The LRT plan is a fine plan for Scarborough residents, but I do believe residents and others who use the Toronto’s public transit would agree the subway to Scarborough Centre is best.

However, the downtown relief subway line SHOULD be still being top priority for the city. Hell, it can be six months after shovels are in the ground for the DRL and then the B-D extension can start being worked on, just as long as the DRL comes first.

However councillors in this term and the previouos term dissagree. Sheppard East and Finch West are both higher priorities.

Back