News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 379     0 

Danforth Line 2 Scarborough Subway Extension

Does the Murray plan even work???

I haven't seen a proper consensus on this. For years I've read that it's impossible because of 'tight turns'. Now it seems realistic. Can it work, or do we have to wait until formal planning is underway before a consensus is reached.

I drew up some options a short while ago.

Very nice. Maybe it was you who did it, but I saw a video on Youtube where someone used a flyover on GoogleEarth of the potential routing options. It was amateurish, but was nonetheless eye-opening as to what could exist for the same cost of a subway. And I'm a fan of oblique aerial imagery, so I naturally liked it.

Last edited:
It probably can work (Union, St. George), but I don't think the TTC would be very happy about it. They don't like operating subways with tight curves. The trains can't go through at full speed and it damages the track and trains.

It probably can work (Union, St. George), but I don't think the TTC would be very happy about it. They don't like operating subways with tight curves. The trains can't go through at full speed and it damages the track and trains.

Somewhat off-topic, but has anyone factored in the hypothetical option of lubricating tracks at these curves? I know the TTC does this with an encased hose trickling water at some streetcar turn-arounds.

As I said earlier, I don't think the LRT is an option anymore. It's more of a choice between Murray's subway and the approved subway.

+1

I don't see the PC going to LRT if they win. They will gladly kill Sheppard and/or Finch if the city insist to withdraw from their commitment to finance the line.
If the Liberals win, it will be the Murray plan
NDP doesn't stand a chance

MetroNorth_EastBronx.jpg
Ah, thanks. wasn't aware of that. I'd assumed you were talking subway, rather than commuter train. So essentially they are going to reroute the New Haven line down the east side of the Bronx, through Queens (but without stopping), and into Penn Station using the new east side access. The service is similar to the Lakeshore line. 30-minute off-peak. Isn't this what Scarborough already has?

Ah, thanks. wasn't aware of that. I'd assumed you were talking subway, rather than commuter train. So essentially they are going to reroute the New Haven line down the east side of the Bronx, through Queens (but without stopping), and into Penn Station using the new east side access. The service is similar to the Lakeshore line. 30-minute off-peak. Isn't this what Scarborough already has?

my guess is that not many people are willing to pay extra for the GO when their TTC transfer is valid on the SRT/subway.

Like I said before, I don't think that's new track. That's the same route Amtrak uses on the NEC, just with some new stations.

Why would you say this? All the polls show Stintz doesn't have a hope in hell, unless absolutely no other serious candidates enter the race. Sure, she bought herself some name recognition with all those billions of our money, but she would lose to Chow, Tory, and quite possibly to Ford too. The only way she'll have an impact is if she's the spoiler who splits the anti-Ford vote and gets him re-elected. Kind of pathetic, really.

I found that I made a mistake: both Chow and Tory are rated ahead of Stintz, at least in the November 2013 polls.

Nevertheless, your statement that "Stintz doesn't have a hope in hell" is incorrect; she trailed Chow and Tory who so far have not declared their candidacy, but trumped Ford or any other declared candidate in the absence of Chow and Tory.

Voting forecast scenarios according to this story:

Stintz, Ford, Soknacki: Stintz 52%, Ford 33%, Soknacki 14%

Tory added: Tory 41%, Stintz 30%, Ford 22%, Soknacki 7%

Chow added: Chow 44%, Ford 28%, Stinz 22%, Soknacki 7%

Both Chow and Tory added: Chow 36%, Tory 28%, Ford 20%, Stinz 13%, Soknacki 1%

More recent forecasts can be found here.

Ironically, an anti-subway Mayor / City Council combined with PC's winning provincial elections is the only scenario that can see Scarborough LRT reinstated and the subway canceled. For PC's, there is no harm in allowing the City to flip-flop again and return to Scarborough LRT plan; it does not cost the province any extra funding, and fits PC's philosophy of giving more control to municipalities. But at the same time, they will happily cancel Sheppard and Finch LRT to improve their budget situation.

Liberals, on the other hand, are routinely (and often for a reason) accused of flip-flopping; therefore they will try to stick to all currently approved projects (Scarborough Subway, Sheppard and Finch LRT) and avoid any changes.

MARK: Interesting mention of MNCR East Bronx proposed service to Penn Station-New York...

This will not occur before the LIRR East Side Access opens for service because the only way for MNCR to run this service with the tunnel and platform slots
available would be to displace current LIRR trains (or maybe NJT or Amtrak) and from what I have heard most of Long Island's NYS Senators/Assembly members
are against this plan for this very reason...

The M8 cars should be able to use overhead catenary on this route but the third rail may be a problem...MNCR's third rail is the under-running type and PSNY
and the LIRR uses over-running third rail the same as the TTC Subway does for example...

LI MIKE

If it has to be distributed somewhere other than the Scarborough Subway, my vote is for one of these 3 (in order of preference):

1) DRL
2) GO Electrification
3) Eglinton Western LRT extension

I would suspect #2 would be the most politically attractive for the Feds, because it can be both a 416 and a 905 investment with the same money.

Studies might show they can't extend the B-D line beyond Kennedy until the DRL is built to handle the volume of passengers it will add to the system. What's the possibility that the City/TTC will take the money and use it on the DRL rather than the Scarborough Extension. That would put the Scarborough subway extension on the back burner for another ten or twenty years, and that would put its construction at the mercy of all future provincial and municipal politicians. Given that the existing SRT won't last another ten years without a major upgrade Scarborough may end up not only not getting a subway, but also losing the SRT.

Back