News   Jul 16, 2024
 671     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 596     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 734     2 

Danforth Line 2 Scarborough Subway Extension

This is a positive development, hopefully the Scarborough subway will get built and the chapter will be closed.

However, we should not assume that from now on, the federal government will help fund any subway that Toronto wants to build.

The goodwill, if any is left, should now be used for DRL and not for Sheppard subway extension.

They said the BD is almost at capacity, and this will push it to capacity, so a DRL to Danforth would have to go along with this extension when it opens, or at least shortly afterward.

In the event that the McCowan subway now proceeds I'd like to see something done with the SRT alignment - maybe a BRT. A BRT would allow the GO tracks to be shifted to avoid the need for a tunnel without severing the industrial spurs, and might do so in enough room to allow twin tracking the Stouffville line to Progress.

These two are my biggest concerns. I'd prefer for the SRT to be maintained from Midland and extended to Malvern Town Centre. Build the Scarborough Subway as planned, but rather than tying it to the Bloor-Danforth, have it follow the rail corridor downtown where it connects to the DRL. This avoids the capacity issue and allows for a very fast, one seat ride downtown. It really wouldn't be that expensive, but Torontonians get nosebleeds whenever we discover we have to pay for transit.

3Jp7vUz.png

how much you want to bet ford came up with it?

I'll put down $500 :cool:

Last edited:
Regarding the use of the former SRT right-of-way, I do not think that it should be allocated for a BRT or LRT line that essentially duplicates the subway service between Scarborough Centre and Kennedy.

Instead, parts of the right-of-way can be used for new transit lines. The north-south section parallel to the Uxbridge sub can be used for a Kennedy LRT or BRT. That line would run in the former SRT corridor up to Ellesmere or Progress, and then switch to the median of the Kennedy proper and continue to Steeles or even into Markham.

The elevated east-west guideway can be reused for an LRT or BRT line to Centennial College and Malvern Centre. West of the STC station, the line can be extended 400-500 m to Brimley to serve the apartments located there.

the old SRT corridor will just be ripped up and presumably handed off to GO transit to use when they add a second track to the Uxbridge sub.

My understanding is that the old SRT corridor is wide enough for 2 mainline track and 2 local transit lanes.

Go Transit will not be in conflict with the 2 local lanes unless they decide to build a GO station at Lawrence, which requires more space.

There is no way that the Bloor-Danforth will ever be interlined with the Sheppard Subway. They'd be turning back more than half of the trains before they reach Sheppard to reduce costs.

They could also extend Sheppard westward and interline with the Spadina Line as well, so you would end up with one gigantic interlined subway!

They might just fence it off for a few years or decades. All the great subway systems of the world have abandoned stations. We could have a cool abandoned line.

The elevated part could become Scarborough's High Line :)

I'd like to see the SRT elevated guideway into STC used for a GO REX branch on the Brampton-Markham GO REX corridor. Or it could even eventually become part of the Midtown GO REX, which could run from Square One to STC. That would be a pretty interesting line.

They might just fence it off for a few years or decades. All the great subway systems of the world have abandoned stations. We could have a cool abandoned line.

The elevated part could become Scarborough's High Line :)
...and we already have one such abandoned subway station (well the lower part of it that is).

the RFP for the train yard has already been issued IIRC. the train yard is going to open in 2016 to allow for testing of the LRVs. Sheppard will happen, and council hasn't switched their opinion on that one. The only way I see it getting built is if PCs win provincially and cancel it in favor of a sheppard extension to Warden or something.

Isn't that info a few months out of date? I thought that the Conlins Yard was supposed to be built before the rest of the Sheppard LRT because the Scarborough LRT conversion was supposed to begin in 2015, and the Conlins Yard (and I assume the eastern end of the Sheppard LRT) needed to be built early. As I recall the tendering of Conlins Yard was delayed when city council voted to replace the SRT with a subway. Unless the Sheppard LRT construction is moved forward (doubt it, the province will try to delay transit expansion funding unless there is a tax increase because of the deficit), I would not expect to see any construction until after the 2014 election. If the Sheppard LRT does get built, then Conlins Yard needs to be redesigned to reduce its size, and the Bombardier contract needs to be renegotiated. Also in that case we will see design changes related to the LRT/subway interchange at McCowan/Sheppard.

If I recall from the last Metrolinx board meeting the Eglinton LRT eastern section was supposed to be tendered in October (yeah right, will get delayed a few months because of the Scarborough subway related design changes, but will probably get tendered end of 2013/early 2014), while the Sheppard LRT and Finch LRT were being "studied" (i.e. unlikely to be built before October 2014).

They could also extend Sheppard westward and interline with the Spadina Line as well, so you would end up with one gigantic interlined subway!

One giant interlined subway that would have way too many vehicles on one part (higher operational costs) and the reliability of a crack addicted mayor. We got rid of the wye for a good reason ;)

I can only assume that this being Toronto the line will be tunneled so as not to block the view of the gas stations and Walmarts.

All this trouble and billions of dollars and at the end of the day Toronto will see it's subway system expand by 0.5km........what a stellar investment.

One thing is for certain, now that the feds are going to be putting money into a BD extension there is no way in hell there will be any money forthcoming from Ottawa for a DRL.

One thing is for certain, now that the feds are going to be putting money into a BD extension there is no way in hell there will be any money forthcoming from Ottawa for a DRL.
And the supremely ironic thing is that this extension makes the DRL even more necessary.

Back