News   Jul 16, 2024
 650     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 581     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 724     2 

Danforth Line 2 Scarborough Subway Extension

I'd be surprised if the feds plan does not transfer funding from the Sheppard LRT.
I'd be very surprised if they do transfer funding from the Sheppard LRT given they showed the Sheppard LRT prominently in today's photo op.

rob-ford4.jpg

If only transit lines would be planned by transit experts, rather than politicians.... If only....

Ford has probably all but given up on Sheppard.

TFC, I agree with you, but the SRT replacement LRT was political as well. Miller was overly insistent on using LRT technology for everything, while this line probably should have been a subway. One could argue the pros and cons of either version (with cost being the biggest one) but we would not have gotten this Federal money if we weren't requesting a subway, so I am fine with this. A little peeved that opening day has been set back by another 3 years, but alas, nothing can be done.

Ford has probably all but given up on Sheppard.

TFC, I agree with you, but the SRT replacement LRT was political as well. Miller was overly insistent on using LRT technology for everything, while this line probably should have been a subway. One could argue the pros and cons of either version (with cost being the biggest one) but we would not have gotten this Federal money if we weren't requesting a subway, so I am fine with this. A little peeved that opening day has been set back by another 3 years, but alas, nothing can be done.

Do you really believe that the Sheppard LRT will ever be built? It was put on the map because the transit plan of the day includes it, and Karen Stintz bizarrely insists on refusing to put a subway on Sheppard while insisting that a subway be put under McCowan Road and that somehow it is impossible to put a "subway" above ground.

It wasn't supposed to start construction until 2017 I believe. Killing the Scarborough LRT really reduces the change that the Sheppard LRT will ever be built. We will probably see the proposal to interline the Sheppard subway and the Bloor-Danforth subway revived again. Remember that there is a municipal election 1 year from now, there will probably be a provincial election if not this fall then in the spring, and there might be a transit tax increase which will provide a boost for subway supporters (i.e. if there is 30 billion for transit in the GTA and Toronto gets a bit less than half of it, and this is on top of existing provincial and federal funding for transit, then somehow a few billion to replace the Sheppard LRT with a subway will be found). Also remember that this federal funding raises the amount of money for Toronto transit expansion from 8.6 billion to around 10 billion or so. When city council goes to approve the McCowan Road subway plan, there are bound to be lots of confusing and meaningless proposals voted on council (make Eglinton underground! Build the downtown relief line! Build a subway to Canada's Wonderland!)

the RFP for the train yard has already been issued IIRC. the train yard is going to open in 2016 to allow for testing of the LRVs. Sheppard will happen, and council hasn't switched their opinion on that one. The only way I see it getting built is if PCs win provincially and cancel it in favor of a sheppard extension to Warden or something.

the RFP for the train yard has already been issued IIRC. the train yard is going to open in 2016 to allow for testing of the LRVs. Sheppard will happen, and council hasn't switched their opinion on that one. The only way I see it getting built is if PCs win provincially and cancel it in favor of a sheppard extension to Warden or something.

Ford's obsession with extending the B-D subway, and his ignoring the ECLRT and the Conlins Maintenance Yard, will virtually guarentee that LRT will be built in the median of Eglinton and Sheppard. With this Federal money (depending on how much it actually is), there seems to be enough money to build the combined SRT and elevated ECLRT, plus extending the Sheppard subway to STC. (assume FWLRT is cancelled). Thanks to Ford's lack of understanding of the issues, he has done significant work to implement the David Miller Transit City plan.

Do you really believe that the Sheppard LRT will ever be built? It was put on the map because the transit plan of the day includes it, and Karen Stintz bizarrely insists on refusing to put a subway on Sheppard while insisting that a subway be put under McCowan Road and that somehow it is impossible to put a "subway" above ground.

It wasn't supposed to start construction until 2017 I believe. Killing the Scarborough LRT really reduces the change that the Sheppard LRT will ever be built. We will probably see the proposal to interline the Sheppard subway and the Bloor-Danforth subway revived again. Remember that there is a municipal election 1 year from now, there will probably be a provincial election if not this fall then in the spring, and there might be a transit tax increase which will provide a boost for subway supporters (i.e. if there is 30 billion for transit in the GTA and Toronto gets a bit less than half of it, and this is on top of existing provincial and federal funding for transit, then somehow a few billion to replace the Sheppard LRT with a subway will be found). Also remember that this federal funding raises the amount of money for Toronto transit expansion from 8.6 billion to around 10 billion or so. When city council goes to approve the McCowan Road subway plan, there are bound to be lots of confusing and meaningless proposals voted on council (make Eglinton underground! Build the downtown relief line! Build a subway to Canada's Wonderland!)
So then the LRT will start at McCowan and end at Dean Park. No problem.

It wasn't supposed to start construction until 2017 I believe. Killing the Scarborough LRT really reduces the change that the Sheppard LRT will ever be built. We will probably see the proposal to interline the Sheppard subway and the Bloor-Danforth subway revived again.

There is no way that the Bloor-Danforth will ever be interlined with the Sheppard Subway. They'd be turning back more than half of the trains before they reach Sheppard to reduce costs.

I'd be very surprised if they do transfer funding from the Sheppard LRT given they showed the Sheppard LRT prominently in today's photo op.

rob-ford4.jpg

I love the slogan ;)

Agreed. I support a Bloor-Danforth subway extension plan over the Scarborough LRT plan so I do hope it happens. That said, a BRT along the SRT alignment and then stretching to Centennial College and finally to Sheppard.

But I do think if the Bloor-Danforth extension happens construction in a few years from now, the Relief Line HAS to begin construction around the same time. That's only fair, though, if Ford gets to remain mayor for the next council term, we all know he'll want to scrap any plans for the Relief Line for a Sheppard Subway extension instead.

Ford actually supports the DRL.

And by support, I mean he's said something like this when asked about the DRL: "I support subways no matter where they are".

Last edited:

Back