News   Apr 29, 2024
 14     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.7K     5 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 754     0 

Cycling infrastructure (Separated bike lanes)

Does anyone have insight into the College Street bike lanes/improvements around Bathurst? Every time I've walked by in recent months they looked like an abandoned construction project, but tonight around 5pm I saw TEN construction workers (one of them was doing work, the other nine were supervising). So...something is happening? Progress once more? The work started in June and I was excited about it!

Does anyone have insight into the College Street bike lanes/improvements around Bathurst? Every time I've walked by in recent months they looked like an abandoned construction project, but tonight around 5pm I saw TEN construction workers (one of them was doing work, the other nine were supervising). So...something is happening? Progress once more? The work started in June and I was excited about it!

The contractor is Sanscon.

Arguably that is sufficient explanation in its own right..........sigh.

For clarity, the above contractor has a pattern of being involved with projects that end up late, and with deficiencies.

I don't know the specific schedule here, but asphalt plants will be closing in the next few weeks (you can't lay hot asphalt in the winter here, so there maybe some last minute hustle to close the project out.

Last edited:
Without veering too much. Why do they keep winning bids? I've been here a few years and seen all your posts about this contractor...

That's a really good question.

The short answer is the City hasn't moved to ban them; they keep bidding, and they keep winning with the lowest priced bid.

The City has a host of options, as I see it.

1) Ban them
2) Impose tender criteria that would effectively make them a non-qualified bidder
3) Entirely scrap the low bid wins process (there are a number of ways to do this that broadly ensure fairness)

Last edited:

Should be done by end of the year

Some updates on Huntingwood:

From the above:

1698978688074.png

1698978721472.png

This maybe a question answered elsewhere, but are there any generally accepted standards for bicycle lane width? There seems to be a wide variation, and I would vote for wider always, but is their a minimum width requirement?

This maybe a question answered elsewhere, but are there any generally accepted standards for bicycle lane width? There seems to be a wide variation, and I would vote for wider always, but is their a minimum width requirement?
The City site on lane widths SEE: https://www.toronto.ca/wp-content/u...idths_Quick_Reference_Version_2.0_Jun2017.pdf
notes:

Refer to Ontario Traffic Manual Book 18: Cycling Facilities 1

1. Through lanes should be a minimum width of 3.1m on TTC streetcar routes
.2 Curb lanes should be a minimum width of 3.3m on TTC bus service routes.

That interweb thing has LOTS of answers!

Back