News   May 15, 2024
 12     0 
News   May 14, 2024
 1.9K     1 
News   May 14, 2024
 1.5K     1 

Cycling infrastructure (Separated bike lanes)

This maybe a question answered elsewhere, but are there any generally accepted standards for bicycle lane width? There seems to be a wide variation, and I would vote for wider always, but is their a minimum width requirement?
They should be, imo narrower than the width of a car, to discourage Murphy’s Law of drivers misinterpreting the lanes as road space.

To add to this very fine breakdown of otherwise very fine new infrastructure, this is case and point of a mistake that the Cycling unit keeps making and really has to fix: wide bike lanes are great once you’re in them, but also readily invite drivers to enter unless/until they put bollards in the middle of each entrance. I’ve not yet ridden the Wellington bike lanes when there has not been a driver parked in them.

View attachment 507951

Heyooo!

IMG_2199.jpeg

Has anyone posted this yet?
looks like theyre looking into 2025-2027 installations now

Lots of red up north in the suburbs
Noteworthy "planned installations" are wellington from clarence bell to church, front from bathurst to union. Why stop at union? that doesnt make sense
Jarvis, Eastern, yonge, college, brock, fort york all candidates for bike lane upgrades and installations

I have some news of my own..............

City legal was not impressed by the Minister's EA bump up for the Humber Trail awhile back.........and decided to contest it in court.

1699671838108.png

Has anyone posted this yet?
looks like theyre looking into 2025-2027 installations now

Lots of red up north in the suburbs
Noteworthy "planned installations" are wellington from clarence bell to church, front from bathurst to union. Why stop at union? that doesnt make sense
Jarvis, Eastern, yonge, college, brock, fort york all candidates for bike lane upgrades and installations
With all our additional bike infrastructure since the Jarvis cycle lanes were taken out I'd prefer that Jarvis now stays as is. We need some streets to be able to maintain high vehicle throughout and this will likely be the only north - south street to have it after our cycling infrastructure upgrades.

With all our additional bike infrastructure since the Jarvis cycle lanes were taken out I'd prefer that Jarvis now stays as is. We need some streets to be able to maintain high vehicle throughout and this will likely be the only north - south street to have it after our cycling infrastructure upgrades.

I'll disagree with the 'stay as is'; however, my first preference is to go back and implement the permanent narrowing of Jarvis in the 5-lane section to 4 lanes and use that to do the 'Great Street' streetscaping that was originally proposed for Jarvis before that project got hijacked by cyclists.

Note my strong language there, because I was involved in the original proposal to get rid of the 5th (reversible) lane and there was a decent plan, and no bike lanes proposed and then out of nowhere the plan was upended.

I warned the cycling community it would be reversed out.............but nope...........so we wasted well into fix-figures first putting in the bike lanes and removing the reversible lane, then removing the bike lanes and putting the reversible lane back.

For the record, I ultimately support cycle tracks on Jarvis; but I think cycling and transit modal share need to be higher first; and Mt.Pleasant must be done at the same time; since it feeds Jarvis

A fully modified Jarvis (in my mind) would drop to one vehicle lane each way and be a grand street with ample public space, and cycle tracks. But that is a bigger project, and I don't think the political will is there for it yet.

Last edited:
Would it not make more sense to put the buffer between the cycle track and the road? This also gives cars a bit more space to clear the cycle path and sidewalk when trying to turn out, rather than inevitably blocking the bike lane.

Ontario defines an ebike as such:

E-bikes in Ontario must have:

• a maximum assisted speed of 32 km/h
  • a maximum weight of 120 kg (includes the weight of the bike and battery)
  • an electric motor not exceeding 500 watts
  • no modifications to the motor to allow it to exceed a power output greater than 500 watts and an assisted speed greater than 32 km/h
  • battery and electric motor securely fastened to the bicycle frame to prevent them from moving while the e-bike is operating
  • all electrical terminals properly insulated
  • minimum wheel width of 35 mm and minimum diameter of 350 mm
  • two independent braking systems that applies force to each wheel and is capable of bringing the e-bike, while being operated at a speed of 30 km/h, to a full stop within 9 metres, on a level asphalt surface, from the point at which the brakes were applied

Anything outside of this is not an ebike but a motorized vehicle.

However in Toronto specifically, they have made a distinction between an e-bike and a pedalec.

Types of E-bikes​

A red E-bike and white cargo E-bike are shown side by side
pedelec & pedal-assisted cargo E-bikes
Pedal-assisted (“pedelecs”) are e-bikes requiring pedaling for propulsion (i.e., the power is cut to the motor when the rider stops pedaling). These are treated like bicycles in the Toronto Municipal Code if they weigh less than 40kg and require pedaling for propulsion, and may be used on roads and all types of cycling infrastructure: painted bicycle lanes, cycle tracks (separated bike lanes) and multi-use trails and paths.
Pedal-assisted cargo cycles are legal for use in Toronto on roads, painted bike lanes and cycle tracks.

Purple power-assisted E-bike
Power-assisted (throttle only)
Power-assisted are E-bikes that are capable of being propelled solely by its electric motor (throttle only). Power-assisted E-bikes may be bicycle-style, scooter-style or moped-style and regardless of style of appearance, they do not require any muscular power or pedaling for propulsion.
Power-assisted E-bikes are not allowed on cycle tracks (separated bike lanes) or multi-use trails or paths, because they pose safety risks when mixing with slower, human-powered modes like bicycles. It is also difficult and risky for such E-bikes to exit cycle tracks which can have raised curbs or vertical elements (e.g., posts, planters, etc.) when passing slower cyclists, whereas painted bike lanes do not present such issues.
For more information, please visit the Ontario Ministry of Transportation’s page on E-bikes (opens in new window) (opens in new window).
Toronto City Council adopted 2014 Decision on electric bikes. In a 2014 report adopted by Toronto City Council, power-assisted bicycles are considered similar to scooters and mopeds, and called “E-scooters” (not to be confused with standing electric kick-scooters which are also called E-scooters).

And that affects where you can ride them

Where you can ride an E-bike in Toronto​

Roadway
(vehicle lanes)
Bicycle Lane
(painted only)
Cycle Track
(separated, eg. curbs, planters, etc)
Multi-use Trails and Paths
(includes pedestrians, joggers, etc)
Sidewalks
Bicycle

A commuter bike is shown in black
YesYesYesYesNo
E-bike requiring pedaling
(“pedelecs” under 40 kg)
A red e-bike under 40 kg is shown with a motor
YesYesYesYesNo
E-bike requiring pedaling
(“pedelecs” over 40 kg)
97ef-pedelec-over-40-kg.png
YesYesYesNoNo
Power-assisted E-bike
(max. 120 kg, max. speed 32 km/hr)
Purple power-assisted E-bike
YesYesNoNoNo
Motorcycles, Mopeds, Motor Scooters

A motorcycle, moped and motor scooter are shown
YesNoNoNoNo
Honda’s new bike looks interesting but has no pedals to fake the secondary manual drive.

IMG_2742.png

Back