News   May 15, 2024
 41     0 
News   May 15, 2024
 272     0 
News   May 15, 2024
 781     1 

Cycling infrastructure (Separated bike lanes)

I think this fits best here.

A tender out from the City to construct a sidewalk AND a recreational trail along the east side of Allen Road from Sheppard Ave W to Rimrock.

1700058442041.png

This covers a distance of ~800M

Streetview as is:
1700058521526.png

I take for granted this will require some re-grading of the existing berm, unless they intend to remove the HOV lane.

Some cycling stuff in Weston is the subject of consultation.

I would encourage those who live/work nearby or pass through regularly, especially on a bike, to comment:

ive never been up by that area, but how can the city consider sharrows to be "cycling connections". The only half decent part of this area is the bike lanes north of lawrence.
I filled out the survey with my opinions anyway

1700195089179.png

Are there any threads about the West Scarborough Rail Path or is it best posted here?

There is a thread:

ive never been up by that area, but how can the city consider sharrows to be "cycling connections". The only half decent part of this area is the bike lanes north of lawrence.

View attachment 520817
"Sharrows" are only acceptable IF the roadway is DESIGNED for 30 km/h. Having 30 km/h speed limit signs are useless if the roadway is designed for the safety of speeders.

Thanks for the pics; indeed progress does seem a bit too slow! Though the track along Bayview is really pretty good, I miss not being able to cycle beside the Don. Hope they get on with the track (and the new connections to Riverdale Park. The Project website could do with some more updates! https://www.toronto.ca/city-governm...ents-expansion-redevelopment/lower-don-trail/

"The Lower Don Trail, a popular route for cyclists and pedestrians, will remain closed for a second summer."

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/do...cle_2d1db6ae-d5d2-5a3d-acc2-387d4e1e43b0.html. ☹️

"The Lower Don Trail, a popular route for cyclists and pedestrians, will remain closed for a second summer."

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/do...cle_2d1db6ae-d5d2-5a3d-acc2-387d4e1e43b0.html. ☹️

Not ok (the like is for contributing the link).

I'm not buying the City's excuses either.

Worth saying, the very problematic Cllr Fletcher has taken adverse note and will, apparently, be pushing the City to find way's to get the timeline back on track. We shall see.

Last edited:

The location of the site has not changed so THIS, at least, should have been anticipate. "The project site is complex, narrow, and located between Don River and a rail corridor, which has resulted in some challenges with getting materials and equipment in and out of the site." The work seems to occur in a rather sporadic fashion and I hope the contractor is not our old nemesis Sanscon! If it is, I hold out little hope of it reopening even in late 2024.

Last edited:

Glad to hear you filled out the survey.

Yes 'sharrows' are considered a connection, though I'll confess to a personal bias against this. I think the value-add is relatively low.

That said, the idea is to promote cycling and get more people cycling ahead of ...... more ambitious plans.

I hope the contractor is not our old nemesis Sanscon! If it is, I hold out little hope of it reopening even in late 2024.

Good news, perhaps, The contractor is not Sanscon.

Its Grascan.

I've given to understand that at least some material portion of the delays here owe to a third party other than the City or contractor.......

But hopefully that bit is behind us now, so if the erosion issue doesn't cause a complete meltdown, hopefully things will get wrapped up earlier than later '24.

If the erosion issue has to be tackled first, it could be a while, the City's emergency team for that has been rebuilding a creek near me (reconstructing the banks), they started in spring, they were hoping to be done by September, they're still at it.

Now, the scale of the project near me is about ~250M and both side of the creek. I would hope the riverine shoreline issue here is smaller; but if not, then its an even bigger issue given the water volume and the adjacent highway and railway.

paywall bypass: https://archive.li/nM9VV

Becky Katz spoke about this on Metro Morning today just after the 8am World Report.

An overly simplified summary would be:

This design (Eglinton) is no longer the way we would build this, but it was designed many years ago.

The new standard would be more like Wellington. (my example)

The design here is essentially the same as Sherbourne (obviously different street profiles but cycle track separated from sidewalk by small granite squares)

There was no spike in pedestrian-cyclist collisions on Sherbourne with this design; which did consider the needs of the accessibility community. But again, the design has since evolved.

My Editorial: While well intended, David Lepofsky is among the most irritating people one may have to deal with.

In the initial piece he throws around accusations and questions, self-evidently having gone to the media first, rather than phoning someone at the City and politely inquiring....

Coming from an activist point-of-view myself, I get that one can be seen to be a perpetual complainer, when one legitimately seeks to improve the world around oneself.

I take no issue w/fair critiques of public design/policy, of which I issue my fair share............. but I do take issue with a shoot first ask questions later way of expressing oneself, it smacks of a self-absorbed sense
of entitlement that impresses few and irks many.

Last edited:

Back