News   May 13, 2024
 544     0 
News   May 13, 2024
 909     0 
News   May 13, 2024
 709     0 

Cycling infrastructure (Separated bike lanes)

Much clearer lane markings have finally been added to the new bike lane extension on Bloor from Runnymede west to Aberfoyle (near Islington) although it's not entirely finished yet. In some sections like the Kingsway area (Prince Edward to roughly Montgomery), concrete curbs and planters have already been installed for physical protection, which I wasn't expecting to see until December, so that's very positive. I even saw a meter maid ticketing cars who were still ignorantly parking next to the sidewalk where there were no physical barriers in place yet to prevent such! :D

Don't be caught by Erin calling her a Meter Maid, you will be in so much trouble. LOL

PEO (Parking Enforcement Officer) ; just sayin.

A great recap of the unveiling of the Bloor West bike extension/group ride this morning. And a reminder to email councillors Morley & Perks with words of support for the extension to counteract the angry minority. I'm on the BWV side of the bike lanes and my NextDoor feed is teeming with angry keyboard warriors demanding the barely installed bike lanes already be removed and claiming it's adding to their commute and parking spot hunting time. 🤔

Esplanade - the city did a god job, no complains. But I wish some of the bike lanes could have a greed separation from the road with trees and some plants. Can't wait when the extend it more to the East to Yonge. But then we have to wait for a good cycling infrastructure on Yonge.... oh well. Some videos are here and here.
The Esplanade's current layout is temporary, in a few weeks the City will be starting to lay a new watermain on the street from Lower Jarvis to Parliament and after that the track will be rebuilt as a totally separated track in those blocks. Then the track will be continued west to Scott (though not quite as separated, as the road in these blocks is not being reconstructed.) There are also plans for the lanes on Yonge or MAYBE on Scott.

Much clearer lane markings have finally been added to the new bike lane extension on Bloor from Runnymede west to Aberfoyle (near Islington) although it's not entirely finished yet. In some sections like the Kingsway area (Prince Edward to roughly Montgomery), concrete curbs and planters have already been installed for physical protection, which I wasn't expecting to see until December, so that's very positive. I even saw a meter maid ticketing cars who were still ignorantly parking next to the sidewalk where there were no physical barriers in place yet to prevent such! :D

The lanes are finally looking good. I have to say that beyond making cycling safer, the changes to traffic flow and road markings make a vast improvement in pedestrian safety also. Haven’t looked along the whole way, but at Royal York the intersection is now no right turn on red, which really helps given the volume of pedestrians crossing.. Reducing the roadway to one lane only has had a huge impact in traffic calming.

There are still some people trying to figure it out, but the more complete signage and curb installation has made a big difference.

I took some photos today and while I was doing so I was approached and asked, “Is this for the petition?”. So I guess there is backlash, certainly I wasn’t popular when I said I thought the change was great. Etobicoke enters the 2020’s kicking and screaming….

- Paul

Last edited:
For those who cycle in South Scarborough, the TRCA is slowly moving forward with the Scarborough Waterfront Project that will connect 11 km of Scarborough's shoreline between Bluffers Park in the west to East Point Park in the east .

Images from the TRCA website:
Screenshot 2023-10-24 at 3.53.39 PM.jpeg

First up are the multi use trails on Brimley Road South followed by the West Segment.

From the TRCA Waterfront Project Team:
"With respect to the West Segment Shoreline and Multi-Use Trail, the project team will be working to finalize detailed designs by the end of 2023. However, the only portion of this project with secure funding at this time is the Brimley Road South Multi-use Trail that will provide safe access for users into the Park and serve as a construction access road for future shoreline works. Construction for this portion is tentatively scheduled to commence in 2024. Future construction of the West Segment Shoreline Multi-Use Trail that will provide the link to Meadowcliffe will likely be post 2025". 🙁

Screenshot 2023-10-24 at 3.46.43 PM.jpeg

Once completed, the West Segment will connect Bluffers Park to Guildwood Park (although this will involve riding through the Central Segment which may be restricted due to ongoing construction).

I often ride along the undeveloped shoreline path connecting Guildwood Park to the Doris McCarthy Trail. It's a wonderful shoreline ride that will be much improved with the connection to Brimley.

Take a look at that ride. :)

Last edited:
Councllor Pasternak brought a letter/motion to Infrastructure Ctte today seeking to push forward a formal cycling path connecting Earl Bales Park to York Mills Station (York Mills and Yonge) through the valley lands.

With some tweaks to the wording:

1698260845868.png

It was adopted.

Congrats to Stephen Job of Tenblock who has led a lobbying charge on this one. It is not a given yet............the golf people are such a pain......... but a big step forward.

Lets also give props to Cllr. Pasternak for bringing this forward.

For those who live / cycle in South Scarborough (or those of you bold enough to venture east of Victoria Park 😀), a couple of significant multi use trails reopened this year.

TRCA had closed the multi use trail along Highland Creek just east of Morningside to facilitate rebuilding of the embankment. The closure meant cyclists had to ride up through U of T then Military Trail - Ellesmere - Morningside. An ugly detour.

TRCA website.jpeg

The TRCA in conjunction with the City of Toronto closed the Great Lakes Waterfront Trail just east of the Highland Creek bridge to facilitate shoreline repair and erosion mitigation. The closure meant cyclists had to ride along busy Lawrence. ☹️

TRCA Port Union .jpg

With both sections now open, cyclists can ride the complete 'Highland Creek loop' back around or connect and follow the Waterfront Trail. This route is an absolute hidden gem and one of the best rides in all of Scarborough (all of Toronto?).

For those who would like to try it, here is the Highland Creek trail itself. Notice there is a Bike Share station located at the western start point which is a short walk from the Guildwood GO.

Screenshot 2023-10-29 at 11.36.35 AM.png

Here is what we call the Highland Creek loop.
Screenshot 2023-10-29 at 11.43.39 AM.png

Here is one of our favourite rides, starting at the Guildwood GO and ending up at Frenchmans Bay. You can then ride back or take the GO from Pickering.
Screenshot 2023-10-29 at 11.40.07 AM.png

This is what that ride looks like

Last edited:
For those who live / cycle in South Scarborough (or those of you bold enough to venture east of Victoria Park 😀), a couple of significant multi use trails reopened this year.

TRCA had closed the multi use trail along Highland Creek just east of Morningside to facilitate rebuilding of the embankment. The closure meant cyclists had to ride up through U of T then Military Trail - Ellesmere - Morningside. An ugly detour.

View attachment 516349

The TRCA in conjunction with the City of Toronto closed the Great Lakes Waterfront Trail just east of the Highland Creek bridge to facilitate shoreline repair and erosion mitigation. The closure meant cyclists had to ride along busy Lawrence. ☹️

View attachment 516350

With both sections now open, cyclists can ride the complete 'Highland Creek loop' back around or connect and follow the Waterfront Trail. This route is a absolute hidden gem and one of the best rides in all of Scarborough (all of Toronto?).

For those who would like to try it, here is the Highland Creek trail itself. Notice there is a Bike Share station located at the western start point which is a short walk from the Guildwood GO.

View attachment 516351

Here is what we call the Highland Creek loop.
View attachment 516352

Here is one of our favourite rides, starting at the Guildwood GO and ending up at Frenchmans Bay. You can then ride back or take the GO from Pickering.
View attachment 516353

This is what that ride looks like

Yes! The trail from Guildwood IS fantastic and I have done it several times by taking GO to Guildwood and back from Rouge Hill GO or further east. I have not (yet) gone this year due to the (much needed) repairs. Glad all is done but it may be getting too late in the season.....

Not much obvious progress happened at this location on the lower Don Trail since June. But clearing activities seemed to have resumed.
From the Riverdale Park bridge.
View attachment 516366
View attachment 516367
Thanks for the pics; indeed progress does seem a bit too slow! Though the track along Bayview is really pretty good, I miss not being able to cycle beside the Don. Hope they get on with the track (and the new connections to Riverdale Park. The Project website could do with some more updates! https://www.toronto.ca/city-governm...ents-expansion-redevelopment/lower-don-trail/

Thanks for the pics; indeed progress does seem a bit too slow! Though the track along Bayview is really pretty good, I miss not being able to cycle beside the Don. Hope they get on with the track (and the new connections to Riverdale Park. The Project website could do with some more updates! https://www.toronto.ca/city-governm...ents-expansion-redevelopment/lower-don-trail/
Can you imagine if they closed the DVP for some indeterminate amount of time and hardly worked on it?!? And yes, it is equivalent.

Hey everybody!

I work for Cycle Toronto - we're a charity that focuses on making Toronto a safer cycling city.

Anyway, I'm a long time lurker, first time poster. I learn so much poking around this forum so I figured I should give back to the community and post some of the infrastructure updates I do on our social media channels:

For those cycling east of the Rouge along the waterfront, the City of Pickering has launched a Waterfront trail committee who had their inaugural meeting today, including details of the current/future work.
  • Elvira court trail/path reconstruction expected Nov-May 2024 to widen/improve gradient and sightlines
    View attachment 486621

Work is scheduled for this now and pushed until summer '24. The path below will be closed starting Monday. Detour signage will be posted.

1698877805567.png

Source

Back