News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.7K     5 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 745     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.4K     1 

Cycling infrastructure (Separated bike lanes)

What’s an example?

Do the different users have dedicated space or they share the same space?
A good example.

1695350970973.png

As you can see, pedestrians and cyclists share the space, with guidance to keep right.

They are only appropriate when the volumes of both pedestrians and cyclists are relatively light, and there is insufficient room for dedicated sidewalk and cycle track.

It will absolutely not be this year. No chance, no way, on how.

There will be a public consultation first; and it will go ahead with major road reconstruction on Bathurst, hopefully next year.

The intent is to put a paved bike path in the boulevard here. Likely in addition to the sidewalk, but I haven't seen the design yet.

Generally, MUPs in Toronto range from 3M to 4M. This would probably be in the narrower side.

The 4M is typically in Toronto Parks and meant so that an ambulance can navigate it, this should not be a consideration for a trail beside a road.
how do you know these details?

what about the future lane on Armour Boulevard that is currently in "study" stage?

A good example.

View attachment 508373

As you can see, pedestrians and cyclists share the space, with guidance to keep right.

They are only appropriate when the volumes of both pedestrians and cyclists are relatively light, and there is insufficient room for dedicated sidewalk and cycle track.
If there is already a sidewalk, like on Bathurst, what is the point in making it multi-use?

If there is already a sidewalk, like on Bathurst, what is the point in making it multi-use?
Likely they are slightly expanding it, so it can also be used for cycling, because there isn't sufficient width for a separate cycle track.

Likely they are slightly expanding it, so it can also be used for cycling, because there isn't sufficient width for a separate cycle track.

It makes the cycling infrastructure viable without having to remove traffic lanes in this case; that's its key feature.

In this part of suburbia there would heavy push back if 2 lanes were slashed from Bathurst.

Relevant sections of Bathurst:

1695423767420.png

1695423829165.png

This one will have to get through consultation still; I haven't seen the design, so I'm not sure how much softscape is proposed.

I'll wager there will some space from the street itself reallocated though.

What’s an example?

Do the different users have dedicated space or they share the same space?
Here's an example adjacent to the sidewalk.

IMG_5885-2.jpeg

IMG_5887-2.jpeg

@Northern Light Do you know when the College Street bike lane construction is scheduled to wrap up? Website still says May 2023

@Northern Light Do you know when the College Street bike lane construction is scheduled to wrap up? Website still says May 2023

I haven't expressly asked; so no.

Certainly my impression is that the work done to date has deficiencies in need of correction so year end is probably optimistic; but if any sections haven't started.........all bets are off.

Its Sanscon, they don't seem to hit their target much at all.

Main - Station (a simple bus platform reconstruction) to be complete by September.............. no its not. ); they were involved in the Wellington fiasco; they're involved at Military Trail and guess who the contractor is over at KQQR.......

You got it......

I haven't expressly asked; so no.

Certainly my impression is that the work done to date has deficiencies in need of correction so year end is probably optimistic; but if any sections haven't started.........all bets are off.

Its Sanscon, they don't seem to hit their target much at all.

Main - Station (a simple bus platform reconstruction) to be complete by September.............. no its not. ); they were involved in the Wellington fiasco; they're involved at Military Trail and guess who the contractor is over at KQQR.......

You got it......
Thank you so much for the info!

It makes the cycling infrastructure viable without having to remove traffic lanes in this case; that's its key feature.

In this part of suburbia there would heavy push back if 2 lanes were slashed from Bathurst.

Relevant sections of Bathurst:

View attachment 508540

View attachment 508541

This one will have to get through consultation still; I haven't seen the design, so I'm not sure how much softscape is proposed.

I'll wager there will some space from the street itself reallocated though.
A portion of Bathurst crosses a ravine and that is what you showed in the first picture. Otherwise the street is lined with mid or high rise residential, and low rise retail. It’s not like 905 suburbs with no pedestrians.

I think the lanes are wide enough that they can create bike infrastructure without removing boulevard green space. Not sure we need more concrete at the expense of cutting down trees and removing grass spaces.

A portion of Bathurst crosses a ravine and that is what you showed in the first picture. Otherwise the street is lined with mid or high rise residential, and low rise retail. It’s not like 905 suburbs with no pedestrians.

I think the lanes are wide enough that they can create bike infrastructure without removing boulevard green space. Not sure we need more concrete at the expense of cutting down trees and removing grass spaces.

There will be a public consultation; if you're not digging the drawings when they come out, you should absolutely say so!

I myself haven't seen the drawings even though I know what's coming, roughly, so I'll reserve judgement.

Back